Re: Adding portraist not working:

  • makesmetired
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
      Ahh, thanks. I got it now. I was misreading it (several times). doh!

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Dale" <ian_dale@h...> wrote:
      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "makesmetired" <dawjr2003@s...>
      wrote:
      > > What am I doing wrong?
      > > I am going into the Description tab and clicking on Portrait.
      Then
      > > using Add and I get a wierd message saying this: "You may not
      add
      > > children to the Portrait mode". Sounds funny enough...
      > > Secondly I am using the "..." as I saw in another post, but the
      > > option to view jpgs (or any other pic formats) is not there in
      the
      > > drop down menu. Instead it only says "Files of Types:
      Directories
      > > Only"
      > >
      > > No option to input a pic anywhere I can see... What did I do
      wrong?

      > > thanks
      >
      > You need to select the directory that the JPEG is in first (with
      > "..."), then the popup menu will be populated with available files,
      > and you select the one in there you want.
      >
      > A bit cumbersome, but it does work. :) (Or used to, I only played
      with
      > that once a while back....)
      >
      > -Ian
      > LST Chimp
    • Ian Dale
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "makesmetired" <dawjr2003@s...> wrote:
        > Ahh, thanks. I got it now. I was misreading it (several times). doh!

        Nah, it's kinda funky how it works. Not sure the logic behind it,
        maybe it made sense to whoever implemented it, or was the easiest way
        or something, but pretty much everyone gets confused by it. :) I guess
        if you have a directory full of possibilities for the portrait, it'd
        be easy (select one thing once in a window, and then use the popup for
        trying out each picture). *shrug*

        -Ian
        LST Chimp
      • James Dempsey
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003

          Would anyone object if I changed this to work in a more logical manner? i.e.
          You open a dialog and select an image, no drop-down? This does seem to be a
          continuing area of confusion.

          James Dempsey
          JDempsey@...
          PCGEN Code Monkey

          > > Ahh, thanks. I got it now. I was misreading it (several times). doh!
          >
          > Nah, it's kinda funky how it works. Not sure the logic behind it,
          > maybe it made sense to whoever implemented it, or was the easiest way
          > or something, but pretty much everyone gets confused by it. :) I guess
          > if you have a directory full of possibilities for the portrait, it'd
          > be easy (select one thing once in a window, and then use the popup for
          > trying out each picture). *shrug*
          >
          > -Ian
          > LST Chimp
        • Barak
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
            I'd say go for it. The less confusion the better.

            Does anyone know why it was done that way in the first place???

            Barak
            ~PCGen BoD
            ~OS Silverback

          • Emily Smirle
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
              Barak wrote:
              > I'd say go for it. The less confusion the better.
              >
              > Does anyone know why it was done that way in the first place???

              I blame it on the monkeys.

              --
              Emily Smirle

              Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.
            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 2003

                OK, all completed. Freq #816537 "Simplify selection of Portraits". See the
                latest autobuild.

                James Dempsey
                JDempsey@...
                PCGEN Code Monkey

                > I'd say go for it. The less confusion the better.
                >
                > Does anyone know why it was done that way in the first place???
                >
                > Barak
                > ~PCGen BoD
                > ~OS Silverback

              • Sigurdur H. Olafsson
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 27, 2003
                  Am I the only one experiencing PCGen forgetting everything about my
                  picture every time I start it after this change was implemented?
                  (Wheather this is the cause or not?)

                  Could it be because I have PCGen under "Program Files" (Dirname with
                  a space?)

                  This is with 5.3.12.

                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@a...> wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > Would anyone object if I changed this to work in a more logical
                  manner? i.e.
                  > You open a dialog and select an image, no drop-down? This does seem
                  to be a
                  > continuing area of confusion.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > James Dempsey
                  > JDempsey@a...
                  > PCGEN Code Monkey

                • Thomas Jannes
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 27, 2003
                    > Am I the only one experiencing PCGen forgetting everything about my
                    > picture every time I start it after this change was implemented?
                    > (Wheather this is the cause or not?)

                    > Could it be because I have PCGen under "Program Files" (Dirname with
                    > a space?)

                    > This is with 5.3.12.

                    No, you're not the only one :-) I made a bug tracker and it has been
                    fixed by Jayme I think. If you get the latest alfabuild, it is fixed.
                    Or wait until next beta-release.

                    Thomas
                    Mad OS Test Monkey
                  • James Dempsey
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 27, 2003

                      Nope you are not the only one. I fixed that bug a couple of days ago, so it
                      will stop happening in either the current alpha, or the next beta. To avoid
                      it in 5.3.12 and 5.4, just create a new character and close it as your first
                      step after starting PCGen. Subsequent characters should load their portraits
                      fine.

                      James Dempsey
                      JDempsey@...
                      PCGEN Code Monkey