Re: Does 3.5 relly need it's own game mode?

  • chris
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
      I know that, but it has not been that bad so far...

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King" <kingpaul@e...> wrote:
      > > It would be sooooooooooo much eazer to keep it they way it is
      > > becase I use the bulder books for one 3.0 game i am in and one 3.5
      > > game I am in...
      >
      > Please keep in mind that I've not worked on the RSRD sets. However:
      >
      > 1) Some skills were done away with and folded into others. 3.0
      > classes would be calling on those skills and not finding them
      > 2) Several classes were altered, so you'd need to have, for
      example,
      > Paladin SRD and Paladin RSRD
      >
      > Those are the changes, off the top of my head, that I can think
      of.
      > From my limited data stand-point, I think separating them is best.
      >
      > Paul W. King
      > OGL SB and BoD
    • chris
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
        Yes, that will work for me... I don't think 3.5 needs its own game
        mode...

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Kris Scott" <dnserror@s...> wrote:
        > I would definately agree with this method, 3.0 and 3.5 are
        esentially
        > the exact same game with just some modifications. I would rather
        just
        > have a source tree that included the option of both books, and if
        > possible maybe make them conflict with each other or give 3.5
        > priority. So the Select sources tree would be similar to:
        >
        > WoTC
        > -CORE
        > --3.0
        > ---PHB
        > ---DMG
        > ---MM
        > --3.5
        > ---PHB
        > ---DMG
        > ---MM
        >
        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gilroy <sgilroy2@w...> wrote:
        > > It would just be an issue of loading 3.0 or 3.5 sources or
        setting
        > the
        > > 3.5 Priority higher than 3.0's so that the classes, skills, etc
        > would be
        > > over ridden
        > >

        > > --
        > >
        > > Steven Gilroy
        > > PCGen OS Lemur
        > > "In a world without fences, who needs GATES?"
      • Barak
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
          Can't be done. As we've discussed earlier, the AC and how various bits
          of it are calculated have changed. They've completely separated out
          shields and how they affect AC and for that alone you need a new game
          mode.

          If you want to include 3.0 stuff, just add the .pcc for the book to the
          rsrd.pcc and it'll be loaded. Pretty simple.

          Barak
          ~PCGen BoD
          ~OS Silverback

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
            That's what I need to do then...

            -- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@v...> wrote:
            > Can't be done. As we've discussed earlier, the AC and how various
            bits
            > of it are calculated have changed. They've completely separated
            out
            > shields and how they affect AC and for that alone you need a new
            game
            > mode.
            >
            > If you want to include 3.0 stuff, just add the .pcc for the book to
            the
            > rsrd.pcc and it'll be loaded. Pretty simple.
            >
            > Barak
            > ~PCGen BoD
            > ~OS Silverback

          • Mark Perneta
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
              At 02:26 PM 9/30/2003 -0400, Barak wrote:
              >If you want to include 3.0 stuff, just add the .pcc for the book to the
              >rsrd.pcc and it'll be loaded. Pretty simple.

              Excellent. I was about to ask this very question, as my group is
              using the 3.5 core rules but still allows PrC's and such from 3.0 sources.

              Mark.

              --
              "Any difficulty you may find while attempting to read through
              this book as if it were a light work of fiction is entirely your own
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
                I submitted something very similar as tracker "792369: Martial Weapon
                Proficiency appearing twice after reload" a while ago. It then got
                fixed by Jayme I think, so maybe he can figure out what is wrong this
                time ?

                Symptoms: whenever you change anyhting on the feats tab, some get
                doubled. They appear twice on the OS and in the .pcg file. This time,
                the char does not need to be saved for this to happen, it happens "in
                real time" ;-)

                Thomas/Chipoulou
                Mad OS Test Monkey
              • Thomas Jannes
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
                  > I submitted something very similar as tracker "792369: Martial Weapon
                  > Proficiency appearing twice after reload" a while ago. It then got
                  > fixed by Jayme I think, so maybe he can figure out what is wrong this
                  > time ?

                  > Symptoms: whenever you change anyhting on the feats tab, some get
                  > doubled. They appear twice on the OS and in the .pcg file. This time,
                  > the char does not need to be saved for this to happen, it happens "in
                  > real time" ;-)

                  > Thomas/Chipoulou
                  > Mad OS Test Monkey

                  > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  > PCGen's FAQ:

                  Unless someone else has the same problem, I think it is because I
                  opened a char created with a previous version of the RSRD that just
                  went totally weird on me...

                  Thomas/Chipoulou
                  Mad OS Test Monkey
                • Thomas Jannes
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
                    > I submitted something very similar as tracker "792369: Martial Weapon
                    > Proficiency appearing twice after reload" a while ago. It then got
                    > fixed by Jayme I think, so maybe he can figure out what is wrong this
                    > time ?

                    > Symptoms: whenever you change anyhting on the feats tab, some get
                    > doubled. They appear twice on the OS and in the .pcg file. This time,
                    > the char does not need to be saved for this to happen, it happens "in
                    > real time" ;-)

                    > Thomas/Chipoulou
                    > Mad OS Test Monkey

                    Sorry for the mess :-(
                    I rebuilt the char, and have this problem again, it keeps adding the
                    VFEAT's for my ranger. In my case the Two-Weapon-Fighting VFEATs.

                    I'm using the 200309301914 alpha from plambert.

                    Thomas/Chipoulou
                    Mad OS Test Monkey
                  • Paul Grosse
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
                      <snip>

                      At 02:26 PM 9/30/2003 -0400, Barak wrote:

                      >If you want to include 3.0 stuff, just add the .pcc for the book to the

                      >rsrd.pcc and it'll be loaded. Pretty simple.

                      Excellent. I was about to ask this very question, as my group is

                      using the 3.5 core rules but still allows PrC's and such from 3.0 sources.

                      Mark.

                      </snip>

                      The problem then becomes that the users that are using the extra sources have to edit the datasets EVERY time PCGen gets updated. Why don't we just add 3.5 gamemode to all the sources and use some nice EXCLUDE lines and add the new skills to any pre-req's in the source files. At least untill all the publishers that need to alter their source files make 3.5 errata.

                      Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse

                      PCGen OGL Gibbon

                      ICQ: 14397299

                      AO: Nylan

                      Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

                      "The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race to keep all it's eggs in." - Robert Heinlein

                    • Jayme Cox
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
                        > I rebuilt the char, and have this problem again, it keeps adding the
                        > VFEAT's for my ranger. In my case the Two-Weapon-Fighting VFEATs.
                        >
                        > Thomas/Chipoulou

                        Does this only occur with the RSRD or does it also happen with the 3.0 SRD?
                      • Thomas Jannes
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
                          >> I rebuilt the char, and have this problem again, it keeps adding the
                          >> VFEAT's for my ranger. In my case the Two-Weapon-Fighting VFEATs.
                          >>
                          >> Thomas/Chipoulou

                          > Does this only occur with the RSRD or does it also happen with the 3.0 SRD?

                          I have tested this with a 3.0 ranger and did not have the problem.
                          It looks like this happens only with the VFEATS that are tied to the
                          ranger special feats like

                          Ranger Two Weapon Fighting
                          <-snip->
                          ADD:VFEAT(Two Weapon Fighting)