Re: Does 3.5 relly need it's own game mode?

  • Kris Scott
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
      I would definately agree with this method, 3.0 and 3.5 are esentially
      the exact same game with just some modifications. I would rather just
      have a source tree that included the option of both books, and if
      possible maybe make them conflict with each other or give 3.5
      priority. So the Select sources tree would be similar to:

      WoTC
      -CORE
      --3.0
      ---PHB
      ---DMG
      ---MM
      --3.5
      ---PHB
      ---DMG
      ---MM

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gilroy <sgilroy2@w...> wrote:
      > It would just be an issue of loading 3.0 or 3.5 sources or setting
      the
      > 3.5 Priority higher than 3.0's so that the classes, skills, etc
      would be
      > over ridden
      >

      > --
      >
      > Steven Gilroy
      > PCGen OS Lemur
      > "In a world without fences, who needs GATES?"
    • chris
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
        I know that, but it has not been that bad so far...

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King" <kingpaul@e...> wrote:
        > > It would be sooooooooooo much eazer to keep it they way it is
        > > becase I use the bulder books for one 3.0 game i am in and one 3.5
        > > game I am in...
        >
        > Please keep in mind that I've not worked on the RSRD sets. However:
        >
        > 1) Some skills were done away with and folded into others. 3.0
        > classes would be calling on those skills and not finding them
        > 2) Several classes were altered, so you'd need to have, for
        example,
        > Paladin SRD and Paladin RSRD
        >
        > Those are the changes, off the top of my head, that I can think
        of.
        > From my limited data stand-point, I think separating them is best.
        >
        > Paul W. King
        > OGL SB and BoD
      • chris
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
          Yes, that will work for me... I don't think 3.5 needs its own game
          mode...

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Kris Scott" <dnserror@s...> wrote:
          > I would definately agree with this method, 3.0 and 3.5 are
          esentially
          > the exact same game with just some modifications. I would rather
          just
          > have a source tree that included the option of both books, and if
          > possible maybe make them conflict with each other or give 3.5
          > priority. So the Select sources tree would be similar to:
          >
          > WoTC
          > -CORE
          > --3.0
          > ---PHB
          > ---DMG
          > ---MM
          > --3.5
          > ---PHB
          > ---DMG
          > ---MM
          >
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gilroy <sgilroy2@w...> wrote:
          > > It would just be an issue of loading 3.0 or 3.5 sources or
          setting
          > the
          > > 3.5 Priority higher than 3.0's so that the classes, skills, etc
          > would be
          > > over ridden
          > >

          > > --
          > >
          > > Steven Gilroy
          > > PCGen OS Lemur
          > > "In a world without fences, who needs GATES?"
        • Barak
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
            Can't be done. As we've discussed earlier, the AC and how various bits
            of it are calculated have changed. They've completely separated out
            shields and how they affect AC and for that alone you need a new game
            mode.

            If you want to include 3.0 stuff, just add the .pcc for the book to the
            rsrd.pcc and it'll be loaded. Pretty simple.

            Barak
            ~PCGen BoD
            ~OS Silverback

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
              That's what I need to do then...

              -- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@v...> wrote:
              > Can't be done. As we've discussed earlier, the AC and how various
              bits
              > of it are calculated have changed. They've completely separated
              out
              > shields and how they affect AC and for that alone you need a new
              game
              > mode.
              >
              > If you want to include 3.0 stuff, just add the .pcc for the book to
              the
              > rsrd.pcc and it'll be loaded. Pretty simple.
              >
              > Barak
              > ~PCGen BoD
              > ~OS Silverback

            • Mark Perneta
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
                At 02:26 PM 9/30/2003 -0400, Barak wrote:
                >If you want to include 3.0 stuff, just add the .pcc for the book to the
                >rsrd.pcc and it'll be loaded. Pretty simple.

                Excellent. I was about to ask this very question, as my group is
                using the 3.5 core rules but still allows PrC's and such from 3.0 sources.

                Mark.

                --
                "Any difficulty you may find while attempting to read through
                this book as if it were a light work of fiction is entirely your own
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
                  I submitted something very similar as tracker "792369: Martial Weapon
                  Proficiency appearing twice after reload" a while ago. It then got
                  fixed by Jayme I think, so maybe he can figure out what is wrong this
                  time ?

                  Symptoms: whenever you change anyhting on the feats tab, some get
                  doubled. They appear twice on the OS and in the .pcg file. This time,
                  the char does not need to be saved for this to happen, it happens "in
                  real time" ;-)

                  Thomas/Chipoulou
                  Mad OS Test Monkey
                • Thomas Jannes
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
                    > I submitted something very similar as tracker "792369: Martial Weapon
                    > Proficiency appearing twice after reload" a while ago. It then got
                    > fixed by Jayme I think, so maybe he can figure out what is wrong this
                    > time ?

                    > Symptoms: whenever you change anyhting on the feats tab, some get
                    > doubled. They appear twice on the OS and in the .pcg file. This time,
                    > the char does not need to be saved for this to happen, it happens "in
                    > real time" ;-)

                    > Thomas/Chipoulou
                    > Mad OS Test Monkey

                    > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    > PCGen's FAQ:

                    Unless someone else has the same problem, I think it is because I
                    opened a char created with a previous version of the RSRD that just
                    went totally weird on me...

                    Thomas/Chipoulou
                    Mad OS Test Monkey
                  • Thomas Jannes
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
                      > I submitted something very similar as tracker "792369: Martial Weapon
                      > Proficiency appearing twice after reload" a while ago. It then got
                      > fixed by Jayme I think, so maybe he can figure out what is wrong this
                      > time ?

                      > Symptoms: whenever you change anyhting on the feats tab, some get
                      > doubled. They appear twice on the OS and in the .pcg file. This time,
                      > the char does not need to be saved for this to happen, it happens "in
                      > real time" ;-)

                      > Thomas/Chipoulou
                      > Mad OS Test Monkey

                      Sorry for the mess :-(
                      I rebuilt the char, and have this problem again, it keeps adding the
                      VFEAT's for my ranger. In my case the Two-Weapon-Fighting VFEATs.

                      I'm using the 200309301914 alpha from plambert.

                      Thomas/Chipoulou
                      Mad OS Test Monkey
                    • Paul Grosse
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
                        <snip>

                        At 02:26 PM 9/30/2003 -0400, Barak wrote:

                        >If you want to include 3.0 stuff, just add the .pcc for the book to the

                        >rsrd.pcc and it'll be loaded. Pretty simple.

                        Excellent. I was about to ask this very question, as my group is

                        using the 3.5 core rules but still allows PrC's and such from 3.0 sources.

                        Mark.

                        </snip>

                        The problem then becomes that the users that are using the extra sources have to edit the datasets EVERY time PCGen gets updated. Why don't we just add 3.5 gamemode to all the sources and use some nice EXCLUDE lines and add the new skills to any pre-req's in the source files. At least untill all the publishers that need to alter their source files make 3.5 errata.

                        Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse

                        PCGen OGL Gibbon

                        ICQ: 14397299

                        AO: Nylan

                        Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

                        "The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race to keep all it's eggs in." - Robert Heinlein

                      • Jayme Cox
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
                          > I rebuilt the char, and have this problem again, it keeps adding the
                          > VFEAT's for my ranger. In my case the Two-Weapon-Fighting VFEATs.
                          >
                          > Thomas/Chipoulou

                          Does this only occur with the RSRD or does it also happen with the 3.0 SRD?
                        • Thomas Jannes
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
                            >> I rebuilt the char, and have this problem again, it keeps adding the
                            >> VFEAT's for my ranger. In my case the Two-Weapon-Fighting VFEATs.
                            >>
                            >> Thomas/Chipoulou

                            > Does this only occur with the RSRD or does it also happen with the 3.0 SRD?

                            I have tested this with a 3.0 ranger and did not have the problem.
                            It looks like this happens only with the VFEATS that are tied to the
                            ranger special feats like

                            Ranger Two Weapon Fighting
                            <-snip->
                            ADD:VFEAT(Two Weapon Fighting)