Re: Does 3.5 relly need it's own game mode?

  • Paul W. King
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
      > It would be sooooooooooo much eazer to keep it they way it is
      > becase I use the bulder books for one 3.0 game i am in and one 3.5
      > game I am in...

      Please keep in mind that I've not worked on the RSRD sets. However:

      1) Some skills were done away with and folded into others. 3.0
      classes would be calling on those skills and not finding them
      2) Several classes were altered, so you'd need to have, for example,
      Paladin SRD and Paladin RSRD

      Those are the changes, off the top of my head, that I can think of.
      From my limited data stand-point, I think separating them is best.

      Paul W. King
      OGL SB and BoD
    • Steven Gilroy
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
        It would just be an issue of loading 3.0 or 3.5 sources or setting the
        3.5 Priority higher than 3.0's so that the classes, skills, etc would be
        over ridden

        --

        Steven Gilroy
        PCGen OS Lemur
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
          I would definately agree with this method, 3.0 and 3.5 are esentially
          the exact same game with just some modifications. I would rather just
          have a source tree that included the option of both books, and if
          possible maybe make them conflict with each other or give 3.5
          priority. So the Select sources tree would be similar to:

          WoTC
          -CORE
          --3.0
          ---PHB
          ---DMG
          ---MM
          --3.5
          ---PHB
          ---DMG
          ---MM

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gilroy <sgilroy2@w...> wrote:
          > It would just be an issue of loading 3.0 or 3.5 sources or setting
          the
          > 3.5 Priority higher than 3.0's so that the classes, skills, etc
          would be
          > over ridden
          >

          > --
          >
          > Steven Gilroy
          > PCGen OS Lemur
          > "In a world without fences, who needs GATES?"
        • chris
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
            I know that, but it has not been that bad so far...

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King" <kingpaul@e...> wrote:
            > > It would be sooooooooooo much eazer to keep it they way it is
            > > becase I use the bulder books for one 3.0 game i am in and one 3.5
            > > game I am in...
            >
            > Please keep in mind that I've not worked on the RSRD sets. However:
            >
            > 1) Some skills were done away with and folded into others. 3.0
            > classes would be calling on those skills and not finding them
            > 2) Several classes were altered, so you'd need to have, for
            example,
            > Paladin SRD and Paladin RSRD
            >
            > Those are the changes, off the top of my head, that I can think
            of.
            > From my limited data stand-point, I think separating them is best.
            >
            > Paul W. King
            > OGL SB and BoD
          • chris
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
              Yes, that will work for me... I don't think 3.5 needs its own game
              mode...

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Kris Scott" <dnserror@s...> wrote:
              > I would definately agree with this method, 3.0 and 3.5 are
              esentially
              > the exact same game with just some modifications. I would rather
              just
              > have a source tree that included the option of both books, and if
              > possible maybe make them conflict with each other or give 3.5
              > priority. So the Select sources tree would be similar to:
              >
              > WoTC
              > -CORE
              > --3.0
              > ---PHB
              > ---DMG
              > ---MM
              > --3.5
              > ---PHB
              > ---DMG
              > ---MM
              >
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gilroy <sgilroy2@w...> wrote:
              > > It would just be an issue of loading 3.0 or 3.5 sources or
              setting
              > the
              > > 3.5 Priority higher than 3.0's so that the classes, skills, etc
              > would be
              > > over ridden
              > >

              > > --
              > >
              > > Steven Gilroy
              > > PCGen OS Lemur
              > > "In a world without fences, who needs GATES?"
            • Barak
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
                Can't be done. As we've discussed earlier, the AC and how various bits
                of it are calculated have changed. They've completely separated out
                shields and how they affect AC and for that alone you need a new game
                mode.

                If you want to include 3.0 stuff, just add the .pcc for the book to the
                rsrd.pcc and it'll be loaded. Pretty simple.

                Barak
                ~PCGen BoD
                ~OS Silverback

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
                  That's what I need to do then...

                  -- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@v...> wrote:
                  > Can't be done. As we've discussed earlier, the AC and how various
                  bits
                  > of it are calculated have changed. They've completely separated
                  out
                  > shields and how they affect AC and for that alone you need a new
                  game
                  > mode.
                  >
                  > If you want to include 3.0 stuff, just add the .pcc for the book to
                  the
                  > rsrd.pcc and it'll be loaded. Pretty simple.
                  >
                  > Barak
                  > ~PCGen BoD
                  > ~OS Silverback

                • Mark Perneta
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
                    At 02:26 PM 9/30/2003 -0400, Barak wrote:
                    >If you want to include 3.0 stuff, just add the .pcc for the book to the
                    >rsrd.pcc and it'll be loaded. Pretty simple.

                    Excellent. I was about to ask this very question, as my group is
                    using the 3.5 core rules but still allows PrC's and such from 3.0 sources.

                    Mark.

                    --
                    "Any difficulty you may find while attempting to read through
                    this book as if it were a light work of fiction is entirely your own
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
                      I submitted something very similar as tracker "792369: Martial Weapon
                      Proficiency appearing twice after reload" a while ago. It then got
                      fixed by Jayme I think, so maybe he can figure out what is wrong this
                      time ?

                      Symptoms: whenever you change anyhting on the feats tab, some get
                      doubled. They appear twice on the OS and in the .pcg file. This time,
                      the char does not need to be saved for this to happen, it happens "in
                      real time" ;-)

                      Thomas/Chipoulou
                      Mad OS Test Monkey
                    • Thomas Jannes
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
                        > I submitted something very similar as tracker "792369: Martial Weapon
                        > Proficiency appearing twice after reload" a while ago. It then got
                        > fixed by Jayme I think, so maybe he can figure out what is wrong this
                        > time ?

                        > Symptoms: whenever you change anyhting on the feats tab, some get
                        > doubled. They appear twice on the OS and in the .pcg file. This time,
                        > the char does not need to be saved for this to happen, it happens "in
                        > real time" ;-)

                        > Thomas/Chipoulou
                        > Mad OS Test Monkey

                        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                        > PCGen's FAQ:

                        Unless someone else has the same problem, I think it is because I
                        opened a char created with a previous version of the RSRD that just
                        went totally weird on me...

                        Thomas/Chipoulou
                        Mad OS Test Monkey
                      • Thomas Jannes
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
                          > I submitted something very similar as tracker "792369: Martial Weapon
                          > Proficiency appearing twice after reload" a while ago. It then got
                          > fixed by Jayme I think, so maybe he can figure out what is wrong this
                          > time ?

                          > Symptoms: whenever you change anyhting on the feats tab, some get
                          > doubled. They appear twice on the OS and in the .pcg file. This time,
                          > the char does not need to be saved for this to happen, it happens "in
                          > real time" ;-)

                          > Thomas/Chipoulou
                          > Mad OS Test Monkey

                          Sorry for the mess :-(
                          I rebuilt the char, and have this problem again, it keeps adding the
                          VFEAT's for my ranger. In my case the Two-Weapon-Fighting VFEATs.

                          I'm using the 200309301914 alpha from plambert.

                          Thomas/Chipoulou
                          Mad OS Test Monkey
                        • Paul Grosse
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
                            <snip>

                            At 02:26 PM 9/30/2003 -0400, Barak wrote:

                            >If you want to include 3.0 stuff, just add the .pcc for the book to the

                            >rsrd.pcc and it'll be loaded. Pretty simple.

                            Excellent. I was about to ask this very question, as my group is

                            using the 3.5 core rules but still allows PrC's and such from 3.0 sources.

                            Mark.

                            </snip>

                            The problem then becomes that the users that are using the extra sources have to edit the datasets EVERY time PCGen gets updated. Why don't we just add 3.5 gamemode to all the sources and use some nice EXCLUDE lines and add the new skills to any pre-req's in the source files. At least untill all the publishers that need to alter their source files make 3.5 errata.

                            Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse

                            PCGen OGL Gibbon

                            ICQ: 14397299

                            AO: Nylan

                            Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

                            "The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race to keep all it's eggs in." - Robert Heinlein

                          • Jayme Cox
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
                              > I rebuilt the char, and have this problem again, it keeps adding the
                              > VFEAT's for my ranger. In my case the Two-Weapon-Fighting VFEATs.
                              >
                              > Thomas/Chipoulou

                              Does this only occur with the RSRD or does it also happen with the 3.0 SRD?
                            • Thomas Jannes
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
                                >> I rebuilt the char, and have this problem again, it keeps adding the
                                >> VFEAT's for my ranger. In my case the Two-Weapon-Fighting VFEATs.
                                >>
                                >> Thomas/Chipoulou

                                > Does this only occur with the RSRD or does it also happen with the 3.0 SRD?

                                I have tested this with a 3.0 ranger and did not have the problem.
                                It looks like this happens only with the VFEATS that are tied to the
                                ranger special feats like

                                Ranger Two Weapon Fighting
                                <-snip->
                                ADD:VFEAT(Two Weapon Fighting)