PCGen 5.3.10 is available

  • merton_monk
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 24, 2003
      PCGen is a Java-based RPG character generator and
      maintenance program that works on all platforms (Windows,
      Mac OS X, Linux, etc). All datafiles are ASCII so they can be
      modified by users, and are available through the pcgendm
      project. An XML conversion is underway.

      Mac OS X users - if you quit PCGen using close or quit,
      your preferences will not be saved. The preference files
      are only saved if you use the File->Exit menu item to exit
      PCGen. This is a java issue (our thanks to Conor for finding
      the reason for this long-standing issue!)

      The pdf library that we use to generate the way cool pdf
      character sheets changed in version 5.3.3. If you've updated
      beyond version 5.3.3 and want to use the pdf character sheets
      and you haven't downloaded the new pdf library yet, it can be
      found at:

      http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pcgen/pdf_new.zip?download

      unzip the above library into your pcgen's lib folder.

      Data for the core 3.5e books is being actively developed
      on our yahoo site. It should soon be ready for inclusion
      in a beta release. After that release we will move PCGen
      to be based upon java 1.4, which means that releases after
      that will require users to download java 1.4. We've been
      encouraging users to install java 1.4 since it runs faster
      than java 1.3. Those on Mac OS 9, Mac OS X (10 - 10.1) will
      need to upgrade to Mac OS X (10.2 or higher) in order for
      their machine to handle java 1.4.

      For users who have trouble getting the 3 zip files
      to unzip properly, we have some OS-specific installs that
      should help minimize the chance of install related errors.
      Links to these installs can be found at:
      20Releases/
      These are the same PCGen everyone else uses, just packaged
      with installers which target Windows and Mac OS X users
      specifically. Typically there is a lag between when the
      official release is done and when these special installers
      are ready.

      We always recommend that users install new versions of
      PCGen in a 'new' directory.

      Below is a list of everything that has been
      addressed in this release. If you reported one
      of these, please verify that it is was addressed
      properly. PCGen is available at
      http://pcgen.sourceforge.net , and the main
      discussion group is at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen . If you wish to discuss
      making your own custom lst files for use with PCGen, the data
      monkeys have made their home at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgenlistfilehelp and they
      pride themselves in being able to field all questions about the
      data - from very basic to very advanced. All three zips are
      required to run PCGen:
      pcgen5310_part1of3.zip, pcgen5310_part2of3.zip and
      pcgen5310_part3of3.zip.

      Bugs
      809731 5.3.9] Skill points
      810770 Some spells not available..
      809247 [BUG] Won't load sources
      810174 Race Level Adjustments...
      807079 "Skill" in a VAR name
      808568 Failure to load PHB source

      Features
      806709 CMP:SAs on Abilities tab
      808753 New tag: ACTYPE

      PCGenDocs: Documentation Bugs
      809000 reference to Campaign help needs to be updated

      PCGenDocs: Output Sheet Bugs
      811258 Old syntax

      PCGenDocs: Output Sheet Feature Requests
      809475 AC.name new tokens

      The PCGen Development Team
    • karianna03
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 24, 2003
        Hi Bryan,

        Could be my bad, but SF is tellnig me that under 5.3.10 the old 5.3.9
        files are listed....

        K - TM SB

      • merton_monk
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 24, 2003
          Errr.... oops!

          Obviously you go straight to the Files page instead of through the
          Home Page... I'm correcting this now. Sigh... it's been one of those
          weeks!

          -Bryan
        • karianna03
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 24, 2003
            Thanks Bryan,

            Oh and BTW for everyone, PCGEN rocks!!!!

            I'm playing my 1st character in about 10 years, and my Paladin and
            his valiant stead are looking just spiffy, much the the annoyance of
            my DM, perfect.

            K - TM SB

            > Errr.... oops!
            >
            > Obviously you go straight to the Files page instead of through the
            > Home Page... I'm correcting this now. Sigh... it's been one of
            those
            > weeks!
            >
            > -Bryan
          • merton_monk
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 24, 2003
              Corrected. The files are now all the correct version - sorry for
              the confusion.

              -Bryan