RE: [pcgen] Re: i thinnk i want to cry...

  • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
      I have two apparent problems in the attached character. He started a
      fighter, but I reduced him two levels, and added Rogue class ( primarily to
      enable enough skill points in Hide and Move Silently) When I did this, I
      had two extra feats. When I removed them, I got first -27 available, then
      26. The sign bug seems to be still there, but I cannot duplicate the -27.
      I added +3 Scimitars to the Equipment list, and equipped them. I think the
      damage is one point too high. Should be +6 for Str, +2 for Feat, +3 for
      weapon. Or am I wrong, and have an extra point I didn't know about.

      Now a question: (If you are ready to address magical items) Can items that
      affect saving throws be programmed? In this sheet I made a combo Bracers
      and Ring of Protection to generate the total plus to armor. Its a
      workaround, but it works.
      Second question: Is there a way to equip a weapon in a particular hand...
      eg, if I want a sword in one hand and a dagger in the off hand?

      Ernie Moulton
      E-Mail Administrator **
      ACS / HQ USAREC
      502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994
      mailto:moulton@...
    • mocha@mcs.net
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
        Ernie,
        I seem to be unable to download your pcg file. All I get is "N",
        which I would guess to be the first letter of your character's name
        (Nemo). If you're unable to post it here, go ahead and upload the
        file to the Bugs and Features folder so it doesn't clutter up the
        main Files page.

        As far as magic items go, they can all use the BONUS: tag which is
        documented near the bottom of the readme.html.
        So the BONUS: tag for a Longsword of Willpower +2 could look like
        this:
        BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT,DAMAGE|2[tab]BONUS:CHECKS|Willpower|2
        (I just can't type a tab in here, so don't actually type [tab]!)

        -Bryan

        --- In pcgen@y..., "Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC" <moulton@u...> wrote:
        > I have two apparent problems in the attached character. He started
        > fighter, but I reduced him two levels, and added Rogue class (
        primarily to
        > enable enough skill points in Hide and Move Silently) When I did
        this, I
        > had two extra feats. When I removed them, I got first -27
        available, then
        > 26. The sign bug seems to be still there, but I cannot duplicate
        the -27.
        > I added +3 Scimitars to the Equipment list, and equipped them. I
        think the
        > damage is one point too high. Should be +6 for Str, +2 for Feat,
        +3 for
        > weapon. Or am I wrong, and have an extra point I didn't know about.
        >
        > Now a question: (If you are ready to address magical items) Can
        items that
        > affect saving throws be programmed? In this sheet I made a combo
        Bracers
        > and Ring of Protection to generate the total plus to armor. Its a
        > workaround, but it works.
        > Second question: Is there a way to equip a weapon in a particular
        hand...
        > eg, if I want a sword in one hand and a dagger in the off hand?
        >
        > Ernie Moulton
        > E-Mail Administrator **
        > ACS / HQ USAREC
        > 502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994
        > mailto:moulton@u...
      • Lonestar
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
          MEMU> I have two apparent problems in the attached character. He started a
          MEMU> fighter, but I reduced him two levels, and added Rogue class ( primarily to
          MEMU> enable enough skill points in Hide and Move Silently) When I did this, I
          MEMU> had two extra feats. When I removed them, I got first -27 available, then
          MEMU> 26. The sign bug seems to be still there, but I cannot duplicate the -27.
          MEMU> I added +3 Scimitars to the Equipment list, and equipped them. I think the
          MEMU> damage is one point too high. Should be +6 for Str, +2 for Feat, +3 for
          MEMU> weapon. Or am I wrong, and have an extra point I didn't know about.

          Well, when you remove all the Fighter levels and simply close the
          Martial weapon choice window you end up with 205 feats.
          The same problem exists when adding and removing a fighter level (the
          first fighter level) to another char. even if you remove the Martial
          weapon proficiencies manually it gives you a wrong number of feats
          remaining...

          Lonestar
        • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
            Thanks for the quick reply... I dont think I can hit the site here--mail is
            open, but direct access is severly limited. No games, no sex, no fun.. no
            birthday cards ('useless entertainment'). etc.
            I will try to send it tonight (after the DND game).
            I will try the bonus--I did figure out I could make it direct, but it just
            increases the Base instead of showing a plus for the item.

            Ernie Moulton
            E-Mail Administrator **
            ACS / HQ USAREC
            502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994
            mailto:moulton@...

          • mocha@mcs.net
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
              Heh - we wouldn't want our miliary to be insecure, would we???? ;)
              You could copy/paste your pcg file contents into a post - the pcg
              files aren't too big (usually under 1k).

            • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
                It would be hard to find a place to spend all those :)

                Ernie Moulton
                E-Mail Administrator **
                ACS / HQ USAREC
                502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994
                mailto:moulton@...

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
                  OK, I will try that.

                  Nemo the Shadow Armor
                  22::23::18::18::14::10::
                  Fighter::None ::None ::7::10::9::9::9::9::9::9::-7::Rogue::None ::None
                  ::3::9::9::9::-13::Shadow Dancer::None ::None ::5::9::9::9::9::9::55::
                  Simple Weapon Proficiency::0::Armor Proficiency (light)::0::Armor
                  Proficiency (medium)::0::Armor Proficiency (heavy)::0::Shield
                  Proficiency::0::Martial Weapon Proficiency::186::Axe (throwing)::Hammer
                  (light)::Handaxe::Lance (light)::Pick (light)::Sap::Sword
                  (short)::Battleaxe::Flail (light)::Lance (heavy)::Sword (long)::Pick
                  (heavy)::Rapier::Scimitar::Trident::Warhammer::Falchion::Flail
                  (heavy)::Glaive::Greataxe::Greatclub::Sword
                  (great)::Guisarme::Halberd::Longspear::Ranseur::Scythe::Shortbow::Shortbow
                  (composite)::Longbow::Longbow (composite)::Axe (throwing)::Hammer
[...]
                  (throwing)::Battleaxe::Falchion::Flail (heavy)::Flail
                  (light)::Glaive::Greataxe::Greatclub::Guisarme::Halberd::Hammer
                  (light)::Handaxe::Lance (heavy)::Lance (light)::Longbow::Longbow
                  (composite)::Longspear::Pick (heavy)::Pick
                  (light)::Ranseur::Rapier::Sap::Scimitar::Scythe::Shortbow::Shortbow
                  (composite)::Sword (great)::Sword (long)::Sword
                  (short)::Trident::Warhammer::Ambidexterity::0::Two-Weapon
                  Fighting::0::Weapon Focus::1::Scimitar::Blind-Fight::0::Weapon
                  Specialization::1::Scimitar::Combat Reflexes::0::Dodge::0::Improved
                  Critical::1::Scimitar::Improved Two-Weapon Fighting::0::Mobility::0::Spring
                  Attack::0::Improved Initiative::0::Daylight Adaptation::0::Resist
                  Poison::0::
                  Climb::5.0::Hide::15.0::Jump::11.0::Listen::5.0::Move
                  Silently::10.0::Search::10.0::Spot::10.0::Escape
                  Artist::10.0::Disguise::2.0::Disable Device::10.0::Decipher
                  Script::1.0::Balance::10.0::Open
                  Lock::10.0::Perform::5.0::Swim::5.0::Tumble::2.0::Use Magic
                  Device::1.0::Ride::2.0::

                  Elf (Drow)::7::60::127::126::M::Ambi

                  Common::Elven::
                  Dagger::Gauntlet::Gauntlet, spiked::Mace
                  (light)::Sickle::Club::Halfspear::Mace
                  (heavy)::Morningstar::Quarterstaff::Shortspear::Crossbow
                  (light)::Dart::Sling::Crossbow (heavy)::Javelin::Axe (throwing)::Hammer
                  (light)::Handaxe::Lance (light)::Pick (light)::Sap::Sword
                  (short)::Battleaxe::Flail (light)::Lance (heavy)::Sword (long)::Pick
                  (heavy)::Rapier::Scimitar::Trident::Warhammer::Falchion::Flail
                  (heavy)::Glaive::Greataxe::Greatclub::Sword
                  (great)::Guisarme::Halberd::Longspear::Ranseur::Scythe::Shortbow::Shortbow
                  (composite)::Longbow::Longbow (composite)::Crossbow (Hand)::Crossbow
                  (hand)::
                  44::26
                  :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::
                  Chain shirt ::1.0::N::Scimitar ::2.0::Y::Dagger ::3.0::N::Crossbow (hand)
                  ::1.0::N::Scimitar +3 ::2.0::Y::Ring of Protection +3 ::1.0::N::Bracers Plus
                  Ring ::1.0::N::Chain (Drow+4) ::1.0::Y::Dagger+3 ::3.0::N::Dagger+2
                  (Longtooth) ::1.0::N::
                  7634.0:: :: ::
                  Fighter::
                  Rogue::
                  Shadow Dancer::
                  115000::7630 gold ::Shadow 8HD ::Ring of Spell Turning
                  Ring of Invisibility
                  Ring of Protection +3 ::

                  Ernie Moulton
                  E-Mail Administrator **
                  ACS / HQ USAREC
                  502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994
                  mailto:moulton@...

                • mocha@mcs.net
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
                    I had to remove the magic item references (since they're unique to
                    your lst files and not in mine) and remove the line-feeds that the
                    post put in unnecessarily, then I was able to import your character.
                    I think the problem stems from the fact that your pcg file indicates
                    that you have 186 martial weapon proficiencies - whereas there aren't
                    that many possiblilities. When you click on a feat I add the number
                    of feats you have remaining plus the number of selections you have
                    with regards to that feat. After you make your selections I then
                    select the new number of selections from the previous sum (for feats
                    you can take multiple times, obviously). So I'm adding the number of
                    feats you have +186 and subtracting the number of selections you made
                    (there are what, about 30 of them?) granting you an increase on the
                    order of 150 or so feats. The obvious question then is, how did you
                    get so many martial weapon proficiencies?
                    What version of PCGen did you create this character with - and if you
                    re-create this character from scratch (forget the magic items, they
                    don't figure into this bug anyway) with the current release do you
                    get this bug? I just did some correcting of the feat-counting logic,
                    so I'm hoping that if you create this character from scratch this bug
                    will go away. You can tell if you'll have the bug by looking in the
                    pcg file - the number just after the Martial Weapon Proficiency entry
                    is how many of the next :: delimiters refer to sub-selections for
                    that feat. If it's over 30 (or whatever, certainly 186 is a
                    giveaway!) then this bug resides in the current version of PCGen and
                    must be squashed. :)

                    -Bryan

                    --- In pcgen@y..., "Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC" <moulton@u...> wrote:
                    > OK, I will try that.
                    >
                    > Nemo the Shadow Armor
                  • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
                      I am fascinated. My youngest son is developing an internet insurance sales
                      tool in Java.. and he was showing me how he developed and used classes...
                      I downloaded the first zip file, probably 1-26. Seems like it was 1.2. I
                      should still have the original somewhere. Maybe.
                      I made my own drow class by modifying the Elf(sun) class. You ahve since
                      added drow, and that may be part or all the problem. He only cares about 2
                      martial weapons, or 3. Scimitar, dagger and crossbow.
                      Whatever broought this on, probably is fixed, since I cannot duplicate it.
                      However, there is still an issue with signs. Take away two levels, get -2
                      feats, remove 1, and you have an additional: what should become -1 becomes
                      1.
                      I will try two ways: one the same as this, but using current release.
                      Then try fighter only, since I do not need any additional rogue skills.

                      Thanks.

                      Ernie Moulton
                      E-Mail Administrator **
                      ACS / HQ USAREC