Re: [pcgen] Re: [BUG] Once off BONUS:SKILLPOINTS problem

  • Jayme Cox
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
      >BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|(2+(6*(1MIN(TL-1))))|
      >PRECLASS:Monk=1|PRECLASSLEVELMAX:Monk=1

      Fixed and checked into CVS for next autobuild and release.

      --Jayme
    • aleks_lakes
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
        Sorry, but it's still broken in 5.3.7 .... :-(

        If I create a 1st level Monk, then for second level, choose Fighter
        (or any other class), the extra skill points are applied to that
        class. Only when I choose a 2nd level on Monk, are the bonus points
        "turned off".

        Examples are as follows:

        e.g. 1st level Monk(1) <- Bonus Applied (correct)
        2nd level Fighter(1) <- Bonus Applied (incorrect)
        3rd level Fighter(2) <- Bonus Applied (incorrect)
        4th level Monk(2) <- No more bonuses
        or
        1st level Fighter(1) <- No Bonus (correct)
        2nd level Monk(1) <- Bonus Applied (correct)
        3rd level Fighter(2) <- Bonus Applied (incorrect)
        4th level Monk(2) <- No more bonuses

        I've also noted that if I create a subclass of Monk, and apply the
        bonus points to that subclass, then it gets even more broken in that
        the subclass not only does not get the skill points at 1st level, but
        it does not have any class skills either!!!
        --
        Aleks

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Jayme Cox <jayme@r...> wrote:
        > >BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|(2+(6*(1MIN(TL-1))))|
        > >PRECLASS:Monk=1|PRECLASSLEVELMAX:Monk=1
        >
        > Fixed and checked into CVS for next autobuild and release.
        >
        > --Jayme
      • Barak
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003

          Not quite Bryan... He's using PRECLASSLEVELMAX:Monk=1, so as long as he
          doesn't take another Monk level (IOW, as long as he remains a Monk(1))
          he meets the prereqs and the bonus will keep changing.

          Barak
          ~PCGen BoD
          ~OS Silverback
        • Barak
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003

            Let's see... PRECLASS:Monk=1... (Still Monk(1))...Check
            PRECLASSLEVELMAX:Monk=1... (Still Monk(1))... Check

            Not broken. You just need to come up with a better way to do it.

            I'm not really following what you're trying to do here.. That formula
            and those PREs will always get you 8, so why not just use
            BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|8?

            Barak
            ~PCGen BoD
            ~ OS Silverback
          • aleks_lakes
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
              Maybe I am getting a little to complex for my own good... blame the
              programmer in me :-)

              What I want to achieve is to grant to a specific class a once off
              bonus of 8 skill points. This bonus is applied when the 1st level of
              that class is selected/created. The bonus should not apply at any
              other stage.

              My logic in the fomula was to ensure that 8 skill points are granted
              even if the class that has this bonus is not the first character level
              chosen. Once more, blame the programmer in me wanting to be generic.

              The logic behind the PREs was to ensure that the bonus only appled to
              the 1st level of that class (note: class level, not character level),
              and no other.

              From your analysis, I take it every classes bonuses/skills/etc are
              checked and applied as each level is selected, and therefore the
              additional skillpoints appear when other classes are selected. I was
              not aware that this is the case. My appologies for therefore mistaking
              claiming that this bug was not fixed. It is indeed fixed.

              Having now understood how it is that these bonuses are applied and
              checked, can you - or anyone else for that matter - come up with a
              solution to my problem. How do I grant a once off bonus to skillpoints
              when the 1st level of a class is chosen, and not have to that bonus
              applied when other classes levels are chosen?

              --
              Aleks

            • Brass Tilde
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
                > Having now understood how it is that these bonuses are applied and
                > checked, can you - or anyone else for that matter - come up with a
                > solution to my problem. How do I grant a once off bonus to skillpoints
                > when the 1st level of a class is chosen, and not have to that bonus
                > applied when other classes levels are chosen?

                1. Have the first level of the class apply a template, and have the template
                add 8 skill points?

                2. Ignore level, and just have a bonus statement on the first level of the
                class, adding 8 skill points?

                Note: I have no idea whether or not either of these will work.
              • glddragon35
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
                  As Barak noted try BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|8 on the 1st level line
                  of the class, I think what had the BONUS firing on every other level
                  of the character til you added a 2nd level of monk was the use of TL
                  in the formula. A BONUS formula with TL/CL in it will fire and
                  recalculate everytime that the CL/TL changes.

                  Just my understanding of how it works, might not be exactly right
                  though.

                  GldDragon35

                • Barak
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003

                    You are. Silly programmer! :)

                    > What I want to achieve is to grant to a specific class a once off
                    > bonus of 8 skill points. This bonus is applied when the 1st level of
                    > that class is selected/created. The bonus should not apply at any
                    > other stage.

                    Easy to do. Simply put BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|8 on the "1" Level line
                    for the class in question.

                    > My logic in the fomula was to ensure that 8 skill points are granted
                    > even if the class that has this bonus is not the first
                    > character level
                    > chosen. Once more, blame the programmer in me wanting to be generic.

                    > The logic behind the PREs was to ensure that the bonus only appled to
                    > the 1st level of that class (note: class level, not character level),
                    > and no other.

                    Oh, I understood what you were trying to do but didn't understand *why*
                    you were trying to do it that way as you could simply use my above
                    example to achieve the desired effect. I didn't realize you weren't
                    fully cognizant (hey, I've never been able to use that word before! :p)
                    of how the lst files worked. My bad.

                    > From your analysis, I take it every classes bonuses/skills/etc are
                    > checked and applied as each level is selected, and therefore the
                    > additional skillpoints appear when other classes are selected. I was
                    > not aware that this is the case. My appologies for therefore
                    > mistaking claiming that this bug was not fixed. It is indeed fixed.

                    Er... Your analysis is not quite on. Variables (such as TL) are
                    evaluated at every level, but a straight bonus will only be applied at
                    the level indicated (unless there's a variable that changes with level).

                    So BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|TL on the level 1 line will give you (in
                    effect) an additonal skillpoint at every level you take (in any class).
                    BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|CL=Monk would give you an additional skillpoint
                    for every monk class level you take, and finally,
                    BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|8 will give you 8 skillpoints at whichever
                    class level you put it on (and only at that class/level combination).
                    Clear as mud?

                    > Having now understood how it is that these bonuses are applied and
                    > checked, can you - or anyone else for that matter - come up with a
                    > solution to my problem. How do I grant a once off bonus to
                    > skillpoints when the 1st level of a class is chosen, and not have to
                    that bonus
                    > applied when other classes levels are chosen?

                    As I said above the following will do the trick nicely in a *classes.lst
                    file.

                    1<tab>BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|8

                    BTW, for list coding questions, please post over on
                    pcgenlstfilehelp@yahoogroups.com. That list is for list file
                    creation/modification help and we try to keep this list clear for more
                    general program use stuff (ie: How do I add a familiar to my
                    character?).

                    I'm on both lists so if you need further help with this just post over
                    on the other group.

                    Barak
                    ~Pcgen BoD
                    ~OS Silverback
                  • Barak
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
                      Correct.

                      Variables are evaluated at every level (see my more in depth explanation
                      to aleks in my last post).

                      Barak
                      ~PCGen BoD
                      ~OS Silverback