[BUG] Once off BONUS:SKILLPOINTS problem

  • aleks_lakes
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2003

      I've been using the following tags in a XXXclasses.lst file to add a
      once of bonus to skillpoints.

      BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|(2+(6*(1MIN(TL-1))))|PRECLASS:
      Monk=1|PRECLASSLEVELMAX:Monk=1

      Essentially this gives (or should give) the class 8 extra skillpoints
      only once, at 1st level. The formula is there to make sure that if
      the
      Monk class is the first class chosen, then 2 points are given, which
      then gets multiplied up to 8, otherwise 8 points are give.

      The above works/worked fine in PCGen 5.3.1, but later releases do not
      seem to work, giving the bonus at every level except the first.

      Details of my system are:
      Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

      java version "1.4.1_03"
      Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_03-b02)

      PCGen Version: 5.3.1 (works)
      PCGen Version: 5.3.6 error

      Please help. 5.3.1 is slowww and I'd like to move to the later faster
      version of PCGen...

      --
      Aleks
    • slippy_theclown
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2003
        I could be wrong but I think your getting an every level bonus
        because you are calculating based on "TL" (total level, isn't it?)
        So when PCGen calculates that bonus it changes every character
        level. I could be wrong this is only speculation. I am not near as
        good with PCGen code as some people but I thought I'd offer my
        thoughts...

        Slippy
        "Hungry, Hungry, Hippogriff..."

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "aleks_lakes" <aleks_lakes@y...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I've been using the following tags in a XXXclasses.lst file to add
        > once of bonus to skillpoints.
        >
        > BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|(2+(6*(1MIN(TL-1))))|PRECLASS:
        > Monk=1|PRECLASSLEVELMAX:Monk=1
        >
        > Essentially this gives (or should give) the class 8 extra
        skillpoints
        > only once, at 1st level. The formula is there to make sure that if
        > the
        > Monk class is the first class chosen, then 2 points are given,
        which
        > then gets multiplied up to 8, otherwise 8 points are give.
        >
        > The above works/worked fine in PCGen 5.3.1, but later releases do
        not
        > seem to work, giving the bonus at every level except the first.
        >
        > Details of my system are:
        > Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
        >
        > java version "1.4.1_03"
        > Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_03-
        b02)
        > Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_03-b02, mixed mode)
        >
        > PCGen Version: 5.3.1 (works)
        > PCGen Version: 5.3.6 error
        >
        > Please help. 5.3.1 is slowww and I'd like to move to the later
        faster
        > version of PCGen...
        >
        > --
        > Aleks
      • merton_monk
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2, 2003
          The "TL" should be 1 when the pre-reqs are met, which is only for a
          1st level Monk. After that, the fact that TL changes shouldn't
          matter since the pre-reqs are no longer met.

          This worked in 5.3.1 - which version did you first notice it breaking
          in? Are you sure it worked in 5.3.1? The bonus tag itself seems
          fine for what you want to do. There was a lot of bonus related work
          done in 5.3.1 and 5.3.2 that may be involved in this.

          -Bryan

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "slippy_theclown"
          <slippy_the_clown@c...> wrote:
          > I could be wrong but I think your getting an every level bonus
          > because you are calculating based on "TL" (total level, isn't it?)
          > So when PCGen calculates that bonus it changes every character
          > level. I could be wrong this is only speculation. I am not near
          as
          > good with PCGen code as some people but I thought I'd offer my
          > thoughts...
          >
          > Slippy
          > "Hungry, Hungry, Hippogriff..."
          >
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "aleks_lakes" <aleks_lakes@y...>
          wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I've been using the following tags in a XXXclasses.lst file to
          add
          > > once of bonus to skillpoints.
          > >
          > > BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|(2+(6*(1MIN(TL-1))))|PRECLASS:
          > > Monk=1|PRECLASSLEVELMAX:Monk=1
          > >
          > > Essentially this gives (or should give) the class 8 extra
          > skillpoints
          > > only once, at 1st level. The formula is there to make sure that if
          > > the
          > > Monk class is the first class chosen, then 2 points are given,
          > which
          > > then gets multiplied up to 8, otherwise 8 points are give.
          > >
          > > The above works/worked fine in PCGen 5.3.1, but later releases do
          > not
          > > seem to work, giving the bonus at every level except the first.
          > >
          > > Details of my system are:
          > > Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
          > >
          > > java version "1.4.1_03"
          > > Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_03-
          > b02)
          > > Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_03-b02, mixed mode)
          > >
          > > PCGen Version: 5.3.1 (works)
          > > PCGen Version: 5.3.6 error
          > >
          > > Please help. 5.3.1 is slowww and I'd like to move to the later
          > faster
          > > version of PCGen...
          > >
          > > --
          > > Aleks
        • aleks_lakes
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
            Thank you for pointing out just how stupid I am... Yep, I was running
            5.2.0 - beta... I've been installing every version along the way, and
            got lost amongst the versions I thought I had installed!!!

            I have just installed versions 5.3.1 thru 5.3.4, and it works in
            versions 5.3.1 and 5.3.2, but is broken in 5.3.3 onwards.

            --
            Aleks

          • Jayme Cox
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
              >BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|(2+(6*(1MIN(TL-1))))|
              >PRECLASS:Monk=1|PRECLASSLEVELMAX:Monk=1

              Fixed and checked into CVS for next autobuild and release.

              --Jayme
            • aleks_lakes
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
                Sorry, but it's still broken in 5.3.7 .... :-(

                If I create a 1st level Monk, then for second level, choose Fighter
                (or any other class), the extra skill points are applied to that
                class. Only when I choose a 2nd level on Monk, are the bonus points
                "turned off".

                Examples are as follows:

                e.g. 1st level Monk(1) <- Bonus Applied (correct)
                2nd level Fighter(1) <- Bonus Applied (incorrect)
                3rd level Fighter(2) <- Bonus Applied (incorrect)
                4th level Monk(2) <- No more bonuses
                or
                1st level Fighter(1) <- No Bonus (correct)
                2nd level Monk(1) <- Bonus Applied (correct)
                3rd level Fighter(2) <- Bonus Applied (incorrect)
                4th level Monk(2) <- No more bonuses

                I've also noted that if I create a subclass of Monk, and apply the
                bonus points to that subclass, then it gets even more broken in that
                the subclass not only does not get the skill points at 1st level, but
                it does not have any class skills either!!!
                --
                Aleks

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Jayme Cox <jayme@r...> wrote:
                > >BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|(2+(6*(1MIN(TL-1))))|
                > >PRECLASS:Monk=1|PRECLASSLEVELMAX:Monk=1
                >
                > Fixed and checked into CVS for next autobuild and release.
                >
                > --Jayme
              • Barak
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003

                  Not quite Bryan... He's using PRECLASSLEVELMAX:Monk=1, so as long as he
                  doesn't take another Monk level (IOW, as long as he remains a Monk(1))
                  he meets the prereqs and the bonus will keep changing.

                  Barak
                  ~PCGen BoD
                  ~OS Silverback
                • Barak
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003

                    Let's see... PRECLASS:Monk=1... (Still Monk(1))...Check
                    PRECLASSLEVELMAX:Monk=1... (Still Monk(1))... Check

                    Not broken. You just need to come up with a better way to do it.

                    I'm not really following what you're trying to do here.. That formula
                    and those PREs will always get you 8, so why not just use
                    BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|8?

                    Barak
                    ~PCGen BoD
                    ~ OS Silverback
                  • aleks_lakes
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
                      Maybe I am getting a little to complex for my own good... blame the
                      programmer in me :-)

                      What I want to achieve is to grant to a specific class a once off
                      bonus of 8 skill points. This bonus is applied when the 1st level of
                      that class is selected/created. The bonus should not apply at any
                      other stage.

                      My logic in the fomula was to ensure that 8 skill points are granted
                      even if the class that has this bonus is not the first character level
                      chosen. Once more, blame the programmer in me wanting to be generic.

                      The logic behind the PREs was to ensure that the bonus only appled to
                      the 1st level of that class (note: class level, not character level),
                      and no other.

                      From your analysis, I take it every classes bonuses/skills/etc are
                      checked and applied as each level is selected, and therefore the
                      additional skillpoints appear when other classes are selected. I was
                      not aware that this is the case. My appologies for therefore mistaking
                      claiming that this bug was not fixed. It is indeed fixed.

                      Having now understood how it is that these bonuses are applied and
                      checked, can you - or anyone else for that matter - come up with a
                      solution to my problem. How do I grant a once off bonus to skillpoints
                      when the 1st level of a class is chosen, and not have to that bonus
                      applied when other classes levels are chosen?

                      --
                      Aleks

                    • Brass Tilde
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
                        > Having now understood how it is that these bonuses are applied and
                        > checked, can you - or anyone else for that matter - come up with a
                        > solution to my problem. How do I grant a once off bonus to skillpoints
                        > when the 1st level of a class is chosen, and not have to that bonus
                        > applied when other classes levels are chosen?

                        1. Have the first level of the class apply a template, and have the template
                        add 8 skill points?

                        2. Ignore level, and just have a bonus statement on the first level of the
                        class, adding 8 skill points?

                        Note: I have no idea whether or not either of these will work.
                      • glddragon35
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
                          As Barak noted try BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|8 on the 1st level line
                          of the class, I think what had the BONUS firing on every other level
                          of the character til you added a 2nd level of monk was the use of TL
                          in the formula. A BONUS formula with TL/CL in it will fire and
                          recalculate everytime that the CL/TL changes.

                          Just my understanding of how it works, might not be exactly right
                          though.

                          GldDragon35

                        • Barak
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003

                            You are. Silly programmer! :)

                            > What I want to achieve is to grant to a specific class a once off
                            > bonus of 8 skill points. This bonus is applied when the 1st level of
                            > that class is selected/created. The bonus should not apply at any
                            > other stage.

                            Easy to do. Simply put BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|8 on the "1" Level line
                            for the class in question.

                            > My logic in the fomula was to ensure that 8 skill points are granted
                            > even if the class that has this bonus is not the first
                            > character level
                            > chosen. Once more, blame the programmer in me wanting to be generic.

                            > The logic behind the PREs was to ensure that the bonus only appled to
                            > the 1st level of that class (note: class level, not character level),
                            > and no other.

                            Oh, I understood what you were trying to do but didn't understand *why*
                            you were trying to do it that way as you could simply use my above
                            example to achieve the desired effect. I didn't realize you weren't
                            fully cognizant (hey, I've never been able to use that word before! :p)
                            of how the lst files worked. My bad.

                            > From your analysis, I take it every classes bonuses/skills/etc are
                            > checked and applied as each level is selected, and therefore the
                            > additional skillpoints appear when other classes are selected. I was
                            > not aware that this is the case. My appologies for therefore
                            > mistaking claiming that this bug was not fixed. It is indeed fixed.

                            Er... Your analysis is not quite on. Variables (such as TL) are
                            evaluated at every level, but a straight bonus will only be applied at
                            the level indicated (unless there's a variable that changes with level).

                            So BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|TL on the level 1 line will give you (in
                            effect) an additonal skillpoint at every level you take (in any class).
                            BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|CL=Monk would give you an additional skillpoint
                            for every monk class level you take, and finally,
                            BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|8 will give you 8 skillpoints at whichever
                            class level you put it on (and only at that class/level combination).
                            Clear as mud?

                            > Having now understood how it is that these bonuses are applied and
                            > checked, can you - or anyone else for that matter - come up with a
                            > solution to my problem. How do I grant a once off bonus to
                            > skillpoints when the 1st level of a class is chosen, and not have to
                            that bonus
                            > applied when other classes levels are chosen?

                            As I said above the following will do the trick nicely in a *classes.lst
                            file.

                            1<tab>BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|8

                            BTW, for list coding questions, please post over on
                            pcgenlstfilehelp@yahoogroups.com. That list is for list file
                            creation/modification help and we try to keep this list clear for more
                            general program use stuff (ie: How do I add a familiar to my
                            character?).

                            I'm on both lists so if you need further help with this just post over
                            on the other group.

                            Barak
                            ~Pcgen BoD
                            ~OS Silverback
                          • Barak
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
                              Correct.

                              Variables are evaluated at every level (see my more in depth explanation
                              to aleks in my last post).

                              Barak
                              ~PCGen BoD
                              ~OS Silverback