House Rule

  • ze_allanon
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2003
      Can someone help me coding the following house rule by minimizing the
      number of files modified, if possible, I'd like not to modify ANY
      campaign file (e.g SRD), just to make it easy to follow the releases
      without having to modify .lst files every week with each new release.

      My human cleric's God favoured weapon is the Battleaxe, I have
      selected the War and Strength Domain. The War domain grants me
      Martial proficiency and Weapon Focus with my deity's favoured weapon.
      My almighty DM has accepted to let me use as favoured weapon
      (assuming at least one week training in a temple etc, incl. the
      bonuses) a Waraxe (Dwarven) + 2, after all, it is a axe. The problem
      is that out-of-the-box pcgen does not grant me the war domain bonuses
      when I select the battleaxe (on the contrary, I have no proficient
      malus:-( ). Please help me.

      Thanks,

      Allanon
    • slippy_theclown
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2003
        If all your doing is looking for a way to make it work, just add the
        nessessary feats and make a note on your character why the feats are
        there. This way each release does not require you to change data
        files. You could also add a custom deity file that has the same
        deity with some kind of explanantion as to his/her diff from the
        original like "Korg (custom)". Then you can add the nessessary code
        to that deity and when it comes time to upgrade PDGen you just leave
        your custom data file. That was always the reason for the custom
        data files to begin with.

        I hope some of that made sense.

        Slippy
        "Got Human?"

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "ze_allanon" <allanon@p...> wrote:
        > Can someone help me coding the following house rule by minimizing
        the
        > number of files modified, if possible, I'd like not to modify ANY
        > campaign file (e.g SRD), just to make it easy to follow the
        releases
        > without having to modify .lst files every week with each new
        release.

        > My human cleric's God favoured weapon is the Battleaxe, I have
        > selected the War and Strength Domain. The War domain grants me
        > Martial proficiency and Weapon Focus with my deity's favoured
        weapon.
        > My almighty DM has accepted to let me use as favoured weapon
        > (assuming at least one week training in a temple etc, incl. the
        > bonuses) a Waraxe (Dwarven) + 2, after all, it is a axe. The
        problem
        > is that out-of-the-box pcgen does not grant me the war domain
        bonuses
        > when I select the battleaxe (on the contrary, I have no proficient
        > malus:-( ). Please help me.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Allanon
      • jrajiva
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2003
          I'd agree. Just add waraxe to the list of favored weapons for your deity in the deity
          editor. No need to create a specific house rule. That's what the deity editors are for.

          cheers

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "slippy_theclown" <slippy_the_clown@c...> wrote:
          > If all your doing is looking for a way to make it work, just add the
          > nessessary feats and make a note on your character why the feats are
          > there. This way each release does not require you to change data
          > files. You could also add a custom deity file that has the same
          > deity with some kind of explanantion as to his/her diff from the
          > original like "Korg (custom)". Then you can add the nessessary code
          > to that deity and when it comes time to upgrade PDGen you just leave
          > your custom data file. That was always the reason for the custom
          > data files to begin with.
          >
          > I hope some of that made sense.
          >
          > Slippy
          > "Got Human?"
          >
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "ze_allanon" <allanon@p...> wrote:
          > > Can someone help me coding the following house rule by minimizing
          > the
          > > number of files modified, if possible, I'd like not to modify ANY
          > > campaign file (e.g SRD), just to make it easy to follow the
          > releases
          > > without having to modify .lst files every week with each new
          > release.
          > >
          > > My human cleric's God favoured weapon is the Battleaxe, I have
          > > selected the War and Strength Domain. The War domain grants me
          > > Martial proficiency and Weapon Focus with my deity's favoured
          > weapon.
          > > My almighty DM has accepted to let me use as favoured weapon
          > > (assuming at least one week training in a temple etc, incl. the
          > > bonuses) a Waraxe (Dwarven) + 2, after all, it is a axe. The
          > problem
          > > is that out-of-the-box pcgen does not grant me the war domain
          > bonuses
          > > when I select the battleaxe (on the contrary, I have no proficient
          > > malus:-( ). Please help me.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Allanon
        • ze_allanon
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2003
            Well, actually that was my first try however it didn't work because
            the War domain grants you Martial Weapon Prof. whilst the Waraxe is
            an Exotic weapon...

          • Celtic Shiva
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 2, 2003
              At 09:34 AM 02/09/2003, you wrote:
              >Well, actually that was my first try however it didn't work because
              >the War domain grants you Martial Weapon Prof. whilst the Waraxe is
              >an Exotic weapon...

              That's exactly right. The Dwarven Waraxe is an exotic weapon, however it
              can be used two-handed as if it was a martial weapon. Your cleric would be
              able to use it Two Handed and get Weapon Focus with it, but could not use
              it one handed unless he also took Exotic Weapon Proficiency.

              I don't know how PCGen handles it, but that's the way it works in 3.0 and 3.5
            • Celtic Shiva
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 2, 2003
                At 09:34 AM 02/09/2003, you wrote:
                >Well, actually that was my first try however it didn't work because
                >the War domain grants you Martial Weapon Prof. whilst the Waraxe is
                >an Exotic weapon...

                Sorry for the double post but I just realized something;

                If your character is a Dwarf, then its a martial weapon regardless of the
                handedness (in 3.5 only). I don't think that PCGen currently accounts for
                this however.
              • ze_allanon
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 3, 2003
                  My character is human and has also a shield, hence cannot use the
                  waraxe two-handed.
                  I tried also creating a Template with FEAT:Exotic Weapon Proficiency
                  (Waraxe (Dwarven)) and FEAT:Weapon Focus (Waraxe (Dwarven)) but I
                  still have a problem with the Proficiency: pcgen 3.5 is telling me
                  that I'm not proficient, hence counts me the malus.