Re: [pcgen] Re: RSRD V12 (Fighter)

  • Joel N. Fischoff
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 31, 2003
      >>Tir Gwaith
      >>PCGen Data SB and BoD
      >
      > Not sure if you're aware of this or not, but your email address (among
      > others) is generating a lot of 'virus spam' messages. to this list. Since
      > you are involved in the PCGEN project I'm a little worried that the virus
      > you may have is unchecked and may pass into future versions of PCGen.

      SoBig falsifies E-mail address headers. Tir (probably) isn't actually
      sending the messages. The message just look like he's sending them.

      Joel
    • Barak
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
        Well, it has filled up my (20Mb) inbox 4 times and caused mail to bounce
        too... :p

        But no direct effect on PCGen. :)

        Barak
        ~PCGen BoD
        ~OS Silverback

      • frugal@purplewombat.co.uk
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
          <quote who="Barak">
          > Well, it has filled up my (20Mb) inbox 4 times and caused mail to bounce
          > too... :p

          Have you tried to use procmail ? Send anything with the matching headers
          straight to /dev/null...

          Funnily enough the _only_ place I have been getting these virus messages
          is the PCGen maililng list. None of the other lists I am on have been hit,
          nor have _any_ of my personal addresses... Strange. I guess I am not in
          too many peoples address book.

          --
          regards,
          Frugal
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
            Monday, September 1, 2003, 2:56:40 PM, Frugal (frugal@...) wrote:

            > Funnily enough the _only_ place I have been getting these virus
            > messages is the PCGen maililng list. None of the other lists I am on
            > have been hit, nor have _any_ of my personal addresses... Strange. I
            > guess I am not in too many peoples address book.

            I find that odd too - the only place I get it is on the PCGen list. No
            a problem for me, apart from a very minor annoyance, as I have
            Mailwasher set up with an appropriate filter.

            Graeme

            --
            Opinions? No, I don't have any. Everything I say is *fact*!
          • Celtic Shiva
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003

              >SoBig falsifies E-mail address headers. Tir (probably) isn't actually
              >sending the messages. The message just look like he's sending them.

              Ooh 6 replies all saying the same thing, thanks for clarifying though, was
              only trying to point it out in case it hadn't been noticed etc.

              I took the advice of another poster on this list and put filters checking
              the body for please see the attached file for details' etc.
            • Graeme Adamson
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
                Monday, September 1, 2003, 4:05:16 PM, Celtic (celticshiva@...) wrote:

                > Ooh 6 replies all saying the same thing, thanks for clarifying
                > though, was only trying to point it out in case it hadn't been
                > noticed etc.

                > I took the advice of another poster on this list and put filters
                > checking the body for please see the at*tached file for det*ails'
                > etc.

                Note that by you including that phrase, anyone with that filter would
                have deleted your message... :)

                Graeme

                --
                "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever." -
                Anon
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003

                  Hehe, that happens when you read in unthreaded mode and reply in receipt
                  order. :p

                  > I took the advice of another poster on this list and put filters checking
                  > the body for please see the attached file for details' etc.

                  That's done the trick for me too.

                  Barak
                • Emily Smirle
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
                    Graeme Adamson wrote:
                    > Monday, September 1, 2003, 4:05:16 PM, Celtic (celticshiva@...) wrote:
                    >

                    >>Ooh 6 replies all saying the same thing, thanks for clarifying
                    >>though, was only trying to point it out in case it hadn't been
                    >>noticed etc.
                    >

                    >>I took the advice of another poster on this list and put filters
                    >>checking the body for please see the at*tached file for det*ails'
                    >>etc.
                    >

                    > Note that by you including that phrase, anyone with that filter would
                    > have deleted your message... :)

                    Yup. never saw it. But then, those of us with that filter don't need to
                    know how to filter it all ;)

                    --
                    Emily Smirle (jerril) Beware, for my Axe
                    GMGen Princess will cut you off at the knees.
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003

                      >Note that by you including that phrase, anyone with that filter would
                      >have deleted your message... :)

                      True, but that's ok.
                    • Tir Gwaith
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
                        This is a fun thing to see from web-access at work. :p

                        My computer is off, and 'I' sent another email....

                        I run Norton AV, have it full scan my computer every day (takes
                        around 35 min.) Last time it ever found a virus somewhere was last
                        Dec. I was checking old 1.44 floppies for old family photos, and I
                        forgot to scan them.. I corrected that shortly in preferences.
                        Since this virus wave started, I've switched NAV to just delete
                        offending files, instead of putting them in quarantine.

                        There have been times when I thought I had one, and later found a
                        corrupted FAT file, dying CPU fan (that was a fun one to figure
                        out)....

                        Tir Gwaith
                        PCGen Data SB and BoD