Re: [pcgen] Re: RSRD V12 (Fighter)

  • Brad Franks
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 31, 2003
      Tir's not infected, some else is. This particular virus uses email addresses
      from the infected persons address book and puts them in the "From:" field.

      http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sobig.f@...

      For the most part if your name is in the From field you can be assured that
      you are *not* the person who sent it.

      Brad Franks
      PCGen TM Lemur
      PCGen DOC Lemur

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 31, 2003
        >>Tir Gwaith
        >>PCGen Data SB and BoD
        >
        > Not sure if you're aware of this or not, but your email address (among
        > others) is generating a lot of 'virus spam' messages. to this list. Since
        > you are involved in the PCGEN project I'm a little worried that the virus
        > you may have is unchecked and may pass into future versions of PCGen.

        SoBig falsifies E-mail address headers. Tir (probably) isn't actually
        sending the messages. The message just look like he's sending them.

        Joel
      • Barak
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
          Well, it has filled up my (20Mb) inbox 4 times and caused mail to bounce
          too... :p

          But no direct effect on PCGen. :)

          Barak
          ~PCGen BoD
          ~OS Silverback

        • frugal@purplewombat.co.uk
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
            <quote who="Barak">
            > Well, it has filled up my (20Mb) inbox 4 times and caused mail to bounce
            > too... :p

            Have you tried to use procmail ? Send anything with the matching headers
            straight to /dev/null...

            Funnily enough the _only_ place I have been getting these virus messages
            is the PCGen maililng list. None of the other lists I am on have been hit,
            nor have _any_ of my personal addresses... Strange. I guess I am not in
            too many peoples address book.

            --
            regards,
            Frugal
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
              Monday, September 1, 2003, 2:56:40 PM, Frugal (frugal@...) wrote:

              > Funnily enough the _only_ place I have been getting these virus
              > messages is the PCGen maililng list. None of the other lists I am on
              > have been hit, nor have _any_ of my personal addresses... Strange. I
              > guess I am not in too many peoples address book.

              I find that odd too - the only place I get it is on the PCGen list. No
              a problem for me, apart from a very minor annoyance, as I have
              Mailwasher set up with an appropriate filter.

              Graeme

              --
              Opinions? No, I don't have any. Everything I say is *fact*!
            • Celtic Shiva
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003

                >SoBig falsifies E-mail address headers. Tir (probably) isn't actually
                >sending the messages. The message just look like he's sending them.

                Ooh 6 replies all saying the same thing, thanks for clarifying though, was
                only trying to point it out in case it hadn't been noticed etc.

                I took the advice of another poster on this list and put filters checking
                the body for please see the attached file for details' etc.
              • Graeme Adamson
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
                  Monday, September 1, 2003, 4:05:16 PM, Celtic (celticshiva@...) wrote:

                  > Ooh 6 replies all saying the same thing, thanks for clarifying
                  > though, was only trying to point it out in case it hadn't been
                  > noticed etc.

                  > I took the advice of another poster on this list and put filters
                  > checking the body for please see the at*tached file for det*ails'
                  > etc.

                  Note that by you including that phrase, anyone with that filter would
                  have deleted your message... :)

                  Graeme

                  --
                  "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever." -
                  Anon
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003

                    Hehe, that happens when you read in unthreaded mode and reply in receipt
                    order. :p

                    > I took the advice of another poster on this list and put filters checking
                    > the body for please see the attached file for details' etc.

                    That's done the trick for me too.

                    Barak
                  • Emily Smirle
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
                      Graeme Adamson wrote:
                      > Monday, September 1, 2003, 4:05:16 PM, Celtic (celticshiva@...) wrote:
                      >

                      >>Ooh 6 replies all saying the same thing, thanks for clarifying
                      >>though, was only trying to point it out in case it hadn't been
                      >>noticed etc.
                      >

                      >>I took the advice of another poster on this list and put filters
                      >>checking the body for please see the at*tached file for det*ails'
                      >>etc.
                      >

                      > Note that by you including that phrase, anyone with that filter would
                      > have deleted your message... :)

                      Yup. never saw it. But then, those of us with that filter don't need to
                      know how to filter it all ;)

                      --
                      Emily Smirle (jerril) Beware, for my Axe
                      GMGen Princess will cut you off at the knees.
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003

                        >Note that by you including that phrase, anyone with that filter would
                        >have deleted your message... :)

                        True, but that's ok.
                      • Tir Gwaith
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
                          This is a fun thing to see from web-access at work. :p

                          My computer is off, and 'I' sent another email....

                          I run Norton AV, have it full scan my computer every day (takes
                          around 35 min.) Last time it ever found a virus somewhere was last
                          Dec. I was checking old 1.44 floppies for old family photos, and I
                          forgot to scan them.. I corrected that shortly in preferences.
                          Since this virus wave started, I've switched NAV to just delete
                          offending files, instead of putting them in quarantine.

                          There have been times when I thought I had one, and later found a
                          corrupted FAT file, dying CPU fan (that was a fun one to figure
                          out)....