Re: RSRD and PCGen 5.3.6 beta: Ride at -5

  • ken_jenks
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 30, 2003
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Michael Tucker <mtucker@a...> wrote:
      > What I did, Ken, was to use the
      > item customiser to create a "virtual"
      > saddle with zero (0) weight and cost.
      > I equipped that (to gain the
      > benefit of the military saddle [+2 to
      > Ride skill], plus to remove the
      > -5 penalty for riding bareback).
      > I have a separate character sheet for
      > my horse and all that it's carrying.
      > (The "actual" saddle, with regular
      > weight and cost, is on *that* sheet.)
      >
      > I encourage the players in my group
      > to do the same. This actually makes
      > it easier for me to keep track of
      > situations where someone's become
      > separated from their mount for some reason.
      >
      > [Ref] You've tried everything, and can't budge that locked door.
      > [Player] Ok, I get my sledgehammer out and bash it open.
      > [Ref] You own a sledgehammer, and carry it with you?
      > [Player] Yeah! It's right here, on my character sheet... d'oh! On
      my
      > horse...
      > [Ref] ...which is back in camp. Right.
      >
      > Java Kensai

      That's one solution, but it's not the kind of thing we should expect
      every PCGen user to do. There are very few situations in which a
      person will normally carry a saddle.

      For example, my human warrior mutt has an Exotic Military Saddle that
      lets his friend, the gnome paladin with Ride-by Attack, Spirited
      Charge, etc., ride on his back. I normally don't carry it myself -- I
      leave it on my heavy warhorse, Target. But when we're being separated
      from our mounts yet again (like another trip on the Bright Spray),
      I'll add the Exotic saddle (that lets a size small humanoid ride a
      size medium humanoid) to my inventory.

      But I don't know any other D&D character who wears a saddle, so
      equipping a person with a saddle should be the exception rather than
      the rule.

      -- Ken Jenks