RSRD and PCGen 5.3.6 beta: Ride at -5

  • ken_jenks
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 29, 2003
      My Ride skill seems to be at a -5 penalty no matter how I equip or
      carry or use a horse. Is it a bug or a user error?

      -- Ken Jenks
    • frugal@purplewombat.co.uk
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 29, 2003
        <quote who="ken_jenks">
        > My Ride skill seems to be at a -5 penalty no matter how I equip or
        > carry or use a horse. Is it a bug or a user error?

        You have a -5 penalty if you do not have a saddle equipped.

        --
        regards,
        Frugal
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 29, 2003
          Try the Horse as "Not Carried" and make sure you have a saddle on the
          horse. There is a -5 skill check for riding bareback,

          -- david (aka Papa-DRB)
          Docs/OS Tracker Monkey

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 29, 2003
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, frugal@p... wrote:

            > <quote who="ken_jenks">
            > > My Ride skill seems to be at a -5 penalty
            > > no matter how I equip or carry or use a horse.
            > > Is it a bug or a user error?
            >
            > You have a -5 penalty if you do not have a saddle equipped.
            >
            > --
            > regards,
            > Frugal
            > -OS Gibbon

            I tried that. Where do I equip it? If I carry it, it weighs a ton. If
            the horse carries it, I can't equip it.

            -- Ken Jenks
          • ken_jenks
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 29, 2003
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "David" <Papa-DRB@h...> wrote:
              > Try the Horse as "Not Carried" and make sure you have
              > a saddle on the horse. There is a -5 skill check for
              > riding bareback,
              >
              > -- david (aka Papa-DRB)
              > Docs/OS Tracker Monkey

              That did it. Thanks. Maybe this should be the default action of
              equipping a horse and saddle.

              -- Ken Jenks
            • Emily Smirle
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 29, 2003
                ken_jenks wrote:
                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "David" <Papa-DRB@h...> wrote:
                >
                >>Try the Horse as "Not Carried" and make sure you have
                >>a saddle on the horse. There is a -5 skill check for
                >>riding bareback,
                >>
                >>-- david (aka Papa-DRB)
                >>Docs/OS Tracker Monkey
                >

                > That did it. Thanks. Maybe this should be the default action of
                > equipping a horse and saddle.

                Well, most people don't carry horses, and put saddles on the horse
                rather on themselves... so I rather thought this *was* the default way
                of equipping horses and saddles...

                --
                Emily Smirle (jerril) Beware, for my Axe
                GMGen Princess will cut you off at the knees.
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 29, 2003
                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Emily Smirle <smirle4498@r...> wrote:
                  > ken_jenks wrote:
                  > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "David" <Papa-DRB@h...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > >>Try the Horse as "Not Carried" and make sure you have
                  > >>a saddle on the horse. There is a -5 skill check for
                  > >>riding bareback,
                  > >>
                  > >>-- david (aka Papa-DRB)
                  > >>Docs/OS Tracker Monkey
                  > >

                  > > That did it. Thanks. Maybe this should be the default
                  > > action of equipping a horse and saddle.
                  >
                  > Well, most people don't carry horses, and put
                  > saddles on the horse rather on themselves... so I rather
                  > thought this *was* the default way of equipping horses
                  > and saddles...
                  >
                  > --
                  > Emily Smirle (jerril) Beware, for my Axe
                  > GMGen Princess will cut you off at the knees.
                  > Watch out for the spikes.

                  Here's what I meant: When you're on the Inventory tab, Gear sub-tab,
                  buy a horse and a saddle. Now switch to the Equipping sub-tab.

                  Select the horse and click the > arrow button at the top of the
                  screen. A dialog box appears, title Warhorse (light) (or whatever
                  your horse was). The "Select One" radio buttons are Equipped, Carried
                  and Not Carried. Equipped selected by default. Please change this so
                  that Not Carried is selected by default.

                  Now select the saddle on the left and click the > arrow button at the
                  top of the screen. Another dialog box appears, title Saddle
                  (Military) (or whatever). The "Select One" radio buttons are
                  Equipped, Carried, Not Carried and Container, with a drop-down list
                  of containers. Equipped is selected by default. Please change this so
                  that Container is selected by default and the first mount in the drop-
                  down list is selected.

                  The present behavior encourages user errors like mine. Changing the
                  behavior as I described will reduce (but not eliminate) similar user
                  errors.

                  (It won't completely eliminate similar user errors because it's
                  entirely possible that the user will try to equip a saddle first
                  before equipping a mount. It's also possible that the user will have
                  more than one animal suitable for "containing" a saddle.)

                  -- Ken Jenks
                • Michael Tucker
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 30, 2003
                    On Friday, August 29, 2003, at 07:55 PM, ken_jenks wrote:

                    > Here's what I meant: When you're on the Inventory tab, Gear sub-tab,
                    > buy a horse and a saddle. Now switch to the Equipping sub-tab.
                    >
                    > [snip]
                    >
                    > The present behavior encourages user errors like mine. Changing the
                    > behavior as I described will reduce (but not eliminate) similar user
                    > errors.
                    >
                    > -- Ken Jenks

                    What I did, Ken, was to use the item customiser to create a "virtual"
                    saddle with zero (0) weight and cost. I equipped that (to gain the
                    benefit of the military saddle [+2 to Ride skill], plus to remove the
                    -5 penalty for riding bareback). I have a separate character sheet for
                    my horse and all that it's carrying. (The "actual" saddle, with regular
                    weight and cost, is on *that* sheet.)

                    I encourage the players in my group to do the same. This actually makes
                    it easier for me to keep track of situations where someone's become
                    separated from their mount for some reason.

                    [Ref] You've tried everything, and can't budge that locked door.
                    [Player] Ok, I get my sledgehammer out and bash it open.
                    [Ref] You own a sledgehammer, and carry it with you?
                    [Player] Yeah! It's right here, on my character sheet... d'oh! On my
                    horse...
                    [Ref] ...which is back in camp. Right.

                    Java Kensai
                  • ken_jenks
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 30, 2003
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Michael Tucker <mtucker@a...> wrote:
                      > What I did, Ken, was to use the
                      > item customiser to create a "virtual"
                      > saddle with zero (0) weight and cost.
                      > I equipped that (to gain the
                      > benefit of the military saddle [+2 to
                      > Ride skill], plus to remove the
                      > -5 penalty for riding bareback).
                      > I have a separate character sheet for
                      > my horse and all that it's carrying.
                      > (The "actual" saddle, with regular
                      > weight and cost, is on *that* sheet.)
                      >
                      > I encourage the players in my group
                      > to do the same. This actually makes
                      > it easier for me to keep track of
                      > situations where someone's become
                      > separated from their mount for some reason.
                      >
                      > [Ref] You've tried everything, and can't budge that locked door.
                      > [Player] Ok, I get my sledgehammer out and bash it open.
                      > [Ref] You own a sledgehammer, and carry it with you?
                      > [Player] Yeah! It's right here, on my character sheet... d'oh! On
                      my
                      > horse...
                      > [Ref] ...which is back in camp. Right.
                      >
                      > Java Kensai

                      That's one solution, but it's not the kind of thing we should expect
                      every PCGen user to do. There are very few situations in which a
                      person will normally carry a saddle.

                      For example, my human warrior mutt has an Exotic Military Saddle that
                      lets his friend, the gnome paladin with Ride-by Attack, Spirited
                      Charge, etc., ride on his back. I normally don't carry it myself -- I
                      leave it on my heavy warhorse, Target. But when we're being separated
                      from our mounts yet again (like another trip on the Bright Spray),
                      I'll add the Exotic saddle (that lets a size small humanoid ride a
                      size medium humanoid) to my inventory.

                      But I don't know any other D&D character who wears a saddle, so
                      equipping a person with a saddle should be the exception rather than
                      the rule.

                      -- Ken Jenks