Save relative pathes in options.ini

  • God
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 16, 2003
      It would be much easier to move PCGen to another HDD or another
      folder if the pathes in option.ini would be saved relative to the current
      folder. Are there any plans to change it?
    • Jayme Cox
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 17, 2003
        God wrote:
        > It would be much easier to move PCGen to another HDD or another
        > folder if the pathes in option.ini would be saved relative to the current
        > folder. Are there any plans to change it?

        No, because some users (like myself) have the character, outputsheets,
        etc on different hard drives than the PCGen installation. Relative paths
        don't work for that.
      • Anestis Kozakis
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 17, 2003
          Jayme Cox <jayme@...> said:

          > God wrote:
          > > It would be much easier to move PCGen to another HDD or another
          > > folder if the pathes in option.ini would be saved relative to the
          > > current folder. Are there any plans to change it?
          >
          > No, because some users (like myself) have the character, outputsheets,
          > etc on different hard drives than the PCGen installation. Relative
          > paths don't work for that.

          No need to be so negative Jayme.

          There is always a solution to problem (even if it's not visible).

          How about an option in PCGen itself - "Use Relative Paths in Option.ini".
          Checked, it uses relative paths. Unchecked, it doesn't.

          Simple.

          Anestis.
        • Brass Tilde
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 17, 2003
            > > It would be much easier to move PCGen to another HDD or another
            > > folder if the pathes in option.ini would be saved relative
            > > to the current folder. Are there any plans to change it?
            >
            > No, because some users (like myself) have the character,
            > outputsheets, etc on different hard drives than the PCGen
            > installation. Relative paths don't work for that.

            Well, it should be possible to allow for both. Use a special character,
            such as "@". I believe this is already in place for the PCC files, so it
            might be reasonable to ask for the same feature for the entries in
            options.ini. PCGen already allows for the data files to be in a directory
            other than the PCGen directory.
          • Paul Lambert
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 17, 2003
              On Sunday, August 17, 2003, at 17:16 PM, Brass Tilde wrote:

              > Well, it should be possible to allow for both. Use a special
              > character,
              > such as "@". I believe this is already in place for the PCC files, so
              > it
              > might be reasonable to ask for the same feature for the entries in
              > options.ini. PCGen already allows for the data files to be in a
              > directory
              > other than the PCGen directory.

              In most applications, a relative path is any path that doesn't start
              with a delimiter, and an absolute path does.

              However, Windows breaks this with the silly drive letters. But you can
              still work around it with \\c\dnd\pcgen\...

              So I'd suggest special-casing the Windows paths, and allowing a
              relative or absolute path. The java interpreter may even support such
              a thing somewhat directly, but I don't know. :-)

              --plambert
            • Jayme Cox
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 17, 2003
                >>God wrote:
                >>>It would be much easier to move PCGen to another HDD or another
                >>>folder if the pathes in option.ini would be saved relative to the
                >>>current folder. Are there any plans to change it?

                >>Jayme replied:
                >>No, because some users (like myself) have the character, outputsheets,
                >>etc on different hard drives than the PCGen installation. Relative
                >>paths don't work for that.
                >

                > Anestis Kozakis wrote:
                > No need to be so negative Jayme.

                Just answering the question. However, this would have sounded nicer:
                There are currently no FREQs requesting relative pathnames for PCGen
                directories.

                > There is always a solution to problem (even if it's not visible).

                I didn't say it wasn't possible, I just explained why it had not been
                implemented that way.

                If someone wants to open a FREQ, I recommend that we use the same syntax
                as the .lst files for relative paths: start the path with an @ symbol.

                --Jayme
              • Brass Tilde
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 18, 2003
                  > > Well, it should be possible to allow for both. Use a special
                  > > character, such as "@". I believe this is already in place
                  > > for the PCC files, so it might be reasonable to ask for the
                  > > same feature for the entries in options.ini.

                  > In most applications, a relative path is any path that doesn't start
                  > with a delimiter, and an absolute path does.
                  >
                  > However, Windows breaks this with the silly drive letters. But you can
                  > still work around it with \\c\dnd\pcgen\...

                  That just means the list of delimiters is larger for Windows than for other
                  OSes.

                  > So I'd suggest special-casing the Windows paths, and allowing a
                  > relative or absolute path. The java interpreter may even support such
                  > a thing somewhat directly, but I don't know. :-)

                  Very limited testing (in my options.ini, I changed all occurrences of
                  "C\:\\BS\\Java\\PCGen\\PCGen\\" to "") shows that PCGen performed just fine
                  when I removed most of the pathing info from the various entries in
                  options.ini. I left only the options.userdir defined with the full path. I
                  successfully opened PCGen, loaded all my usual sources, opened a character
                  and exported that character. In each operation that required me to navigate
                  to a directory, the dialog opened in the proper directory as defined by
                  options.ini.

                  However, when I closed PCGen, the full paths were written back out to the
                  options.ini file.

                  That doesn't exercise the full gamut of relative path possibilities, or
                  course, but it would seem to indicate that it might not be that difficult to
                  deal with. But I don't know, not having looked at that code.
                • cyberfunkr
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 18, 2003
                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Jayme Cox <jayme@r...> wrote:

                    > >>Jayme replied:
                    > >>No, because some users (like myself) have the character,
                    outputsheets,
                    > >>etc on different hard drives than the PCGen installation. Relative
                    > >>paths don't work for that.
                    > >

                    > > Anestis Kozakis wrote:
                    > > No need to be so negative Jayme.
                    >
                    > Just answering the question. However, this would have sounded nicer:
                    > There are currently no FREQs requesting relative pathnames for PCGen
                    > directories.
                    >
                    > > There is always a solution to problem (even if it's not visible).
                    >
                    > I didn't say it wasn't possible, I just explained why it had not been
                    > implemented that way.
                    >
                    > If someone wants to open a FREQ, I recommend that we use the same
                    syntax
                    > as the .lst files for relative paths: start the path with an @ symbol.
                    >
                    > --Jayme

                    Actually, I did submit this as a FREQ quite some time ago. Although it
                    seems to have fallen off the tracker.

                    Hmmmm.. another check. Seems my other one has gone the way of the
                    dinosaur and vanished too. Guess it's time to hit the archives and see
                    if I can find my old text.

                    /Cyberfunkr
                  • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 18, 2003
                      Yup, I posted several weeks ago (very loudly) that old unattended freqs
                      would be set to pending and that people had to comment on them to make them
                      alive again.

                      8-)

                      TM SB

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 18, 2003
                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)"
                        <MartijnV@d...> wrote:
                        > Yup, I posted several weeks ago (very loudly) that old unattended freqs
                        > would be set to pending and that people had to comment on them to
                        make them
                        > alive again.
                        >
                        > 8-)

                        > TM SB

                        Taken care of :)

                        /Cyberfunkr
                      • cyberfunkr
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 18, 2003
                          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "cyberfunkr" <cyberfunkr@y...> wrote:

                          > > If someone wants to open a FREQ, I recommend that we use the same
                          > syntax
                          > > as the .lst files for relative paths: start the path with an @ symbol.
                          > >
                          > > --Jayme
                          >
                          > Actually, I did submit this as a FREQ quite some time ago. Although
                          > it seems to have fallen off the tracker.
                          >
                          > /Cyberfunkr

                          *Hate replying to myself but...*

                          I just searched back through the archives (Man, by Yahoo! bites when
                          it comes to searching) and found all my suggestions/ideas/rants over
                          the last year until I finally found it. Yeah, it's that old. It was
                          originally submitted to sourceforge as #597284. I'm sure the soft
                          pawed one purged it long ago. I've resubmitted it. (SF#790933)

                          Then I started a trip down memory lane:

                          -I found my proposed layout for an external .lst editor (approved my
                          Merton but soon put on the back burner because of our _imminent_
                          conversion to XML right after we 'clear up the OGL thing').

                          -Found my other FREQ for changing the companions.lst to be more in
                          line with all the other .lst file formats. Resubmitting that one.
                          (SF#790934)

                          -Saw post after post of all my campaigning to get the Summary tab
                          banished to the bit bucket and use a better UI layout instead. Dated
                          this one all the way back to March 2002, post #29276. Obviously, I was
                          unsuccessful although the link to my proposed UI is still working.
                          Laughed when I saw that.

                          -In looking, I thought I was the first to mention building a
                          supplemental program called GMGen in #48591. But after digging a
                          little deeper I found Merton saying in #44565, "We have a GMGen and
                          even a SuiteGen planned, so the Gen name is Generally going to become
                          more prevalent." And that was almost exactly a year ago.

                          -Found a wild tangent I had for the old Preview tab. I'm going to
                          submit it as an 'enhancement' to sourceforge too. (SF#790940)

                          Ahh... good times...

                          /Cyberfunkr

                          Note: SF# means SourceForge FREQ number, all others are Yahoo! Group
                          message number.
                        • tahattmeruh
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 9, 2006
                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "God" <cosmos3000@...> wrote:

                            > It would be much easier to move PCGen to another HDD or another
                            > folder if the pathes in option.ini would be saved relative to the
                            current
                            > folder. Are there any plans to change it?

                            Any news on this?
                            I have PCGen on my USB-Stick and it's a pain in the a** to
                            edit the option.ini before every start. I couldn't find a freq
                            for it also.
                          • karianna03
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 10, 2006
                              There is a FREQ and it is slated for the 5.12 series, however you
                              probably won't see it fixed for a few Alphas yet - K

                              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "tahattmeruh" <cosmos3000@...> wrote:

                              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "God" <cosmos3000@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > It would be much easier to move PCGen to another HDD or another
                              > > folder if the pathes in option.ini would be saved relative to the
                              > current
                              > > folder. Are there any plans to change it?
                              >
                              > Any news on this?
                              > I have PCGen on my USB-Stick and it's a pain in the a** to
                              > edit the option.ini before every start. I couldn't find a freq
                              > for it also.

                            • Paul Grosse
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 10, 2006
                                Yea! IIRC wasn't I the original one to enter that FREQ?

                                Paul Grosse