BUG: EDUCATION Feat does not give the +1 bonuses.

  • arcady
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2001
      EDUCATION feat is supposed to give a +1 to two knowledge skills of your
      choice. It does not yet do this.

      World of Fahla: http://home.pacbell.net/arcady0/fahla/
      /.)\ Arcady <0){{{{><
      \(@/ Projects: http://www.geocities.com/arcady0/
    • arcady
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2001
        I fixed the education feat to be this:

        Education TYPE:General DESC:All Knowledge skills are class skills for you.
        You receive a +1 bonus to two Knowledge skills. Note: May only choose at
        1st level. CSKILL:Knowledge % CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|Knowledge%|2
        BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1

        But it only lets me choose one skill and not 2.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2001
          Hm - you must only have 1 feat to spend. Currently the number of
          chocies you have is the number of feats you have left - there's no way
          right now to say you get 2 choices at the cost of 1 feat. Adding a
          COST:.5 tag could do that, though. I've checked in a change to this
          feat so that there's a COST:.5 tag on it, and I've checked in code so
          that COST: is a valid tag for feats. This means that if you have 2
          feats when you select a feat with a COST:.5, PCGen will give you 4
          choices (feats/cost). A COST:.5 means each choice costs .5 feat
          points. This will be in the next release.

          -Bryan

          --- In pcgen@y..., "arcady" <arcady0@y...> wrote:
          > I fixed the education feat to be this:
          >
          > Education TYPE:General DESC:All Knowledge skills are class skills for you.
          > You receive a +1 bonus to two Knowledge skills. Note: May only
          choose at
          > 1st level. CSKILL:Knowledge % CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|Knowledge%|2
          > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1
          >
          > But it only lets me choose one skill and not 2.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • arcady
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2001
            No it's one feat.
            But it gives you the following:

            All knowledge skills become class skills.
            You then pick two knowledge skills. Each of these skills gets a plus 1
            bonus.

            But it's one feat and takes up one feat slot.

          • Mark Hulsman
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2001
              > No it's one feat.
              > But it gives you the following:
              >
              > All knowledge skills become class skills.
              > You then pick two knowledge skills. Each of these skills gets a
              plus 1
              > bonus.
              >
              > But it's one feat and takes up one feat slot.

              Yeah, we know it only takes up one slot, but the easiest way to make
              the feat work currently is to say the feat gives a bonus to one skill
              and have the feat only cost half. Then you just choose 2 skills when
              the choose box comes up and you get a bonus to 2 for taking 1 feat.
              It definitely should be changed to let one feat choose 2 skills, but
              until we change how choose works we can't do this. And it would be a
              lot of programming work to fundamentally change how choose works. If
              in the future we see more need for feats like this it will move up in
              priority, but for now this feat is the only one that this is needed
              for, so this is a much simpler way.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
                I would hardly say this is the only thing that needs this for CHOOSE.

                See the debate a few weeks back about CHOOSE for languages.

                This one is going to come up a lot in future feature requests. It's rahter
                odd that it's not possible now as the code to not hardwire it would seem to
                be simpler than the code to hardwire it. Not that I've looked at the actual
                code though.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
                  Right - the CSKILL:Knowledge% bit gives class-skill access to all
                  Knowledge skills. The COST: tag affects only the number of choices
                  available in the CHOOSE: tag (you get 2 choices per feat spent). So I
                  think this is the way you'd want it to work. The BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1
                  means you get a +1 specifically with any skills chosen. Let me know
                  if this isn't correct.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
                    The cost tag won't cause troubles with the number of feats
                    the character who takes this feats gets?

                    For instance, leaving them with .5 selections?

                    http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                  • mocha@mcs.net
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
                      No - the number of feats you have is an integer (whole number), so if
                      you only take 1 selection, it will still cost you a whole feat (maybe
                      this needs to be communicated somehow?).

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 3, 2001
                        Its really weird but I haven't opened PCGen since this discussion was
                        over. When I load the fr feats it gives me an error saying illegal
                        cost in frfeat.lst. I go to feats and select Education and it costs
                        1 feat per choice since it didn't like the cost of .5