RE: [pcgen] PCGen 2.0.3 release

  • arcady
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
      It's one of those bad zip files again that if people use old versions of
      winzip they will get all 0kb files.

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
        I had hoped that it was an ftp thing from mcs that would be better
        fixed by getting it from sourceforge, but apparently not. I'll have
        to change the zipping mechanism.

        -Bryan

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • nezzir@home.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 4, 2001
          I may just be missing something but I've created a generic 6th level fighter as a test.  You can see the sheet here:
          www.nezzir.com/testchar.html
          For armor, I gave him a +2 suit of chain and a large +1 steel shield to go with his Masterwork Longsword.  If I equip both armor items then his attack bonus on all weapons goes down by 1...  If I un-equip either one, it returns...

          I couldn't find anything in the books about it - except something about proficiencies - but he is proficient with the armor as well as the weapons.  He also has weapon focus and specialization.

          It's driving me nuts watching that number go down when I equip the chain shirt.

          BTW - This is PCGen 2.03
        • mocha@mcs.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 4, 2001
            I think there was one issue with PCGen 2.0.3 regarding this. Try
            today's release (2.0.4) and let me know if it still happens. Are you
            sure you're not encumbered?

            -Bryan

          • nezzir@home.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001
              I moved up to 2.04 - This did not fix the problem. What did fix the
              problem was de-selecting the "Weapon Focus" then re-selecting it - Saving,
              exiting, then reloading PCGen. So that one is fixed. It seems you should
              already have your weapon in your inventory before you select your feats...

              Here's a new one. I created a halfing thief - 6th level. She has a dex of
              18 and a light armor proficiency. I put leather +1 on her and it gave her
              a max dex 3 and a -3 armor check penalty to all str based skills. I tried
              going back to regular small leather but it had the same penalties. I tried
              de-selecting/re-selecting the armor (light) proficiency skill,
              saving/reloading, etc. It was stuck. I finally removed her "travelers
              outfit" and armor and when I put them back it finally corrected itself. At
              no time was I encumbered...

              It seems there may be some recalculation issues. It's hard to pin them
              down. I'm using PCGen to create a large pool of generic mid-level
              characters for quick games. Most of the problems I've encountered are
              related to calculating attack numbers and armor bonuses after you change
              the equipment around. I'll post other problems I find as I move forward
              with my little project.

              At 12:47 AM 7/5/2001 +0000, you wrote:
              >I think there was one issue with PCGen 2.0.3 regarding this. Try
              >today's release (2.0.4) and let me know if it still happens. Are you
              >sure you're not encumbered?
              >
              >-Bryan
              >
              >--- In pcgen@y..., "nezzir@h..." <nezzir@h...> wrote:
              > > I may just be missing something but I've created a generic 6th
              >level
              > > fighter as a test. You can see the sheet here:
              > > www.nezzir.com/testchar.html
              > > For armor, I gave him a +2 suit of chain and a large +1 steel
              >shield to go
              > > with his Masterwork Longsword. If I equip both armor items then
              >his attack
              > > bonus on all weapons goes down by 1... If I un-equip either one,
              >it returns...
              > >
              > > I couldn't find anything in the books about it - except something
              >about
              > > proficiencies - but he is proficient with the armor as well as the
              > > weapons. He also has weapon focus and specialization.
              > >
              > > It's driving me nuts watching that number go down when I equip the
              >chain shirt.
              > >
              > > BTW - This is PCGen 2.03

              NezziR,
              Mark A. Warren
              -=*-----------------------------------------------------*=-

              "Tis now the very witching time of night
              when churchyards yawn and hell itself breaths out contagion to this world,
              now could I drink hot blood and do such bitter business as the day would
              quake to look on."

              William Shakespeare,
              Hamlet
            • mocha@mcs.net
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001
                --- In pcgen@y..., "nezzir@h..." <nezzir@h...> wrote:
                > I moved up to 2.04 - This did not fix the problem. What did fix
                the
                > problem was de-selecting the "Weapon Focus" then re-selecting it -
                Saving,
                > exiting, then reloading PCGen. So that one is fixed. It seems you
                should
                > already have your weapon in your inventory before you select your
                feats...

                De-selecting and re-selecting the feat does force PCGen to re-
                validate your choices, but those selections have nothing to do with
                any equipment you have.

                > Here's a new one. I created a halfing thief - 6th level. She has
                a dex of
                > 18 and a light armor proficiency. I put leather +1 on her and it
                gave her
                > a max dex 3 and a -3 armor check penalty to all str based skills.
                I tried
                > going back to regular small leather but it had the same penalties.
                I tried
                > de-selecting/re-selecting the armor (light) proficiency skill,
                > saving/reloading, etc. It was stuck. I finally removed
                her "travelers
                > outfit" and armor and when I put them back it finally corrected
                itself. At
                > no time was I encumbered...

                You removed the items from your inventory and then added them back in
                and it worked? These calculations are done 'on the fly', so adding
                them back in should not have made a difference. The -3 does match
                the medium load penalty... can you recreate the problem with a new
                character every time?

                > It seems there may be some recalculation issues. It's hard to pin
                them
                > down. I'm using PCGen to create a large pool of generic mid-level
                > characters for quick games. Most of the problems I've encountered
                are
                > related to calculating attack numbers and armor bonuses after you
                change
                > the equipment around. I'll post other problems I find as I move
                forward
                > with my little project.

                Okay - I'd be interested in what you find. All calculations are
                done 'on the fly' - I don't save anything except the base unadjusted
                values from which the checks/bab/hp/etc. are calculated. The main
                factors to check would be your load type (encumberance penalty),
                armor check, max dex, any proficiency related penalties, etc.

                -Bryan

                > At 12:47 AM 7/5/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                > >I think there was one issue with PCGen 2.0.3 regarding this. Try
                > >today's release (2.0.4) and let me know if it still happens. Are
                you
                > >sure you're not encumbered?
                > >
                > >-Bryan
                > >
                > >--- In pcgen@y..., "nezzir@h..." <nezzir@h...> wrote:
                > > > I may just be missing something but I've created a generic 6th
                > >level
                > > > fighter as a test. You can see the sheet here:
                > > > www.nezzir.com/testchar.html
                > > > For armor, I gave him a +2 suit of chain and a large +1 steel
                > >shield to go
                > > > with his Masterwork Longsword. If I equip both armor items then
                > >his attack
                > > > bonus on all weapons goes down by 1... If I un-equip either
                one,
                > >it returns...
                > > >
                > > > I couldn't find anything in the books about it - except
                something
                > >about
                > > > proficiencies - but he is proficient with the armor as well as
                the
                > > > weapons. He also has weapon focus and specialization.
                > > >
                > > > It's driving me nuts watching that number go down when I equip
                the
                > >chain shirt.
                > > >
                > > > BTW - This is PCGen 2.03

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                > NezziR,
                > Mark A. Warren
                > -=*-----------------------------------------------------*=-
                >
                > "Tis now the very witching time of night
                > when churchyards yawn and hell itself breaths out contagion to this
                world,
                > now could I drink hot blood and do such bitter business as the day
                would
                > quake to look on."
                >
                > William Shakespeare,
                > Hamlet
              • Robert Ward
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001
                  I had this issue with the 2.0.3 release, but when I got the 2.0.4
                  release and used it, it went away.

                  BTW Bryan no longer need to have you check that pcg file from
                  earlier, thanks though for the thought.

                  -Robert

                • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001
                    You just installed 2.0.4 over 2.0.3, right? Did you do anything
                    else? I think Nezzir's problem is the same you were having, so maybe
                    you did something that Nezzir didn't which corrected the problem - at
                    least that's one possibility. Could you delete the pcg file since I
                    don't have to look at it now? (Actually, I did look at it and used it
                    to confirm for myself that the problem had been resolved...)

                    -Bryan

                    --- In pcgen@y..., "Robert Ward" <rward30@h...> wrote:
                    > I had this issue with the 2.0.3 release, but when I got the 2.0.4
                    > release and used it, it went away.
                    >
                    > BTW Bryan no longer need to have you check that pcg file from
                    > earlier, thanks though for the thought.
                    >
                    > -Robert
                    >
                    > --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
                    > > I think there was one issue with PCGen 2.0.3 regarding this. Try
                    > > today's release (2.0.4) and let me know if it still happens. Are
                    > you
                    > > sure you're not encumbered?
                    > >
                    > > -Bryan
                    > >
                    > > --- In pcgen@y..., "nezzir@h..." <nezzir@h...> wrote:
                    > > > I may just be missing something but I've created a generic 6th
                    > > level
                    > > > fighter as a test. You can see the sheet here:
                    > > > www.nezzir.com/testchar.html
                    > > > For armor, I gave him a +2 suit of chain and a large +1 steel
                    > > shield to go
                    > > > with his Masterwork Longsword. If I equip both armor items
                    then
                    > > his attack
                    > > > bonus on all weapons goes down by 1... If I un-equip either
                    one,
                    > > it returns...
                    > > >
                    > > > I couldn't find anything in the books about it - except
                    something
                    > > about
                    > > > proficiencies - but he is proficient with the armor as well as
                    > the
                    > > > weapons. He also has weapon focus and specialization.
                    > > >
                    > > > It's driving me nuts watching that number go down when I equip
                    > the
                    > > chain shirt.
                    > > >
                    > > > BTW - This is PCGen 2.03
                  • Yosemite Sam
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001
                      I ended up doing a new install of PCGen 2.04 to make my problems go away.

                    • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001
                        --- In pcgen@y..., "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@y...> wrote:
> [...]

                        I thought that the case-sensitivity in this instance had been
                        removed. Does your character still have both proficiencies? I
                        wonder if this is a bug due to converting characters from pre-lst-
                        file-cleanup to post-lst-file-cleanup.

                        -Bryan

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001
                            File already deleted, and what I did (which is same thing do
                            everytime) is installed new version in new location, then copy over
                            the pcg files that I am using. Then I import them with new version,
                            and check to see what/if anything needs fixing. Every thing from
                            previous version came thru fine, and had no issue with the armor to
                            hit penalty from previous version.

                            -Robert

                          • nezzir@home.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001
                              I had problems with old .pcg files from 2.03 but I haven't seen the problem
                              yet in 2.04. I am, however, doing something different now. I buy my
                              weapon and armor before I select my feats and proficiencies. I'll let you
                              know if I see the problem again.

                              At 12:49 AM 7/6/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                              >File already deleted, and what I did (which is same thing do
                              >everytime) is installed new version in new location, then copy over
                              >the pcg files that I am using. Then I import them with new version,
                              >and check to see what/if anything needs fixing. Every thing from
                              >previous version came thru fine, and had no issue with the armor to
                              >hit penalty from previous version.
                              >
                              >-Robert
                              >
                              >--- In pcgen@y..., merton_monk@y... wrote:
                              > > You just installed 2.0.4 over 2.0.3, right? Did you do anything
                              > > else? I think Nezzir's problem is the same you were having, so
                              >maybe
                              > > you did something that Nezzir didn't which corrected the problem -
                              >at
                              > > least that's one possibility. Could you delete the pcg file since I
                              > > don't have to look at it now? (Actually, I did look at it and used
                              >it
                              > > to confirm for myself that the problem had been resolved...)
                              > >
                              > > -Bryan
                              > >
                              > > --- In pcgen@y..., "Robert Ward" <rward30@h...> wrote:
                              > > > I had this issue with the 2.0.3 release, but when I got the 2.0.4
                              > > > release and used it, it went away.
                              > > >
                              > > > BTW Bryan no longer need to have you check that pcg file from
                              > > > earlier, thanks though for the thought.
                              > > >
                              > > > -Robert

                              >Try
                              >Are