Re: PCGen 2.0.3 release

  • mocha@mcs.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
      Ah - okay, thanks! Some people post here with more than 1 id, and
      Robert Ward has been doing some very helpful lst file stuff, so I
      wasn't sure if you were one of his aliases or something. I will
      correct my release notes accordingly. :)
      Let me know when you upload the file, and if there are no objections,
      I'll be glad to add it to the release. Thanks!
      -Bryan

      --- In pcgen@y..., rabrhe@y... wrote:
      > > - frrace.lst from Robert Ward included (corrections - this is rabrhe,
      > > right? I didn't include FRop.zip since I wasn't sure if it was
      > > 'official' or not)
      >
      > The included frrace.lst has all of my latest changes. (And I [rabrhe]
      > am a guy named Steven Ehrbar, if you were wondering about that.)
      >
      > Unless somebody objects in the next 18 hours or so, I'm going to go
      > ahead and add the FRop races to the frrace.lst file, and upload the
      > combined file tomorrow. The races being added are all 1 HD, max ECL
      > adjustment of +2, works-without-monster-class-support races; DMs
      > likely to object to them would likely also prohibit "standard FR"
      > races like drow, duergar, and deep gnomes.
    • arcady
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
        It's one of those bad zip files again that if people use old versions of
        winzip they will get all 0kb files.

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
          I had hoped that it was an ftp thing from mcs that would be better
          fixed by getting it from sourceforge, but apparently not. I'll have
          to change the zipping mechanism.

          -Bryan

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • nezzir@home.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 4, 2001
            I may just be missing something but I've created a generic 6th level fighter as a test.  You can see the sheet here:
            www.nezzir.com/testchar.html
            For armor, I gave him a +2 suit of chain and a large +1 steel shield to go with his Masterwork Longsword.  If I equip both armor items then his attack bonus on all weapons goes down by 1...  If I un-equip either one, it returns...

            I couldn't find anything in the books about it - except something about proficiencies - but he is proficient with the armor as well as the weapons.  He also has weapon focus and specialization.

            It's driving me nuts watching that number go down when I equip the chain shirt.

            BTW - This is PCGen 2.03
          • mocha@mcs.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 4, 2001
              I think there was one issue with PCGen 2.0.3 regarding this. Try
              today's release (2.0.4) and let me know if it still happens. Are you
              sure you're not encumbered?

              -Bryan

            • nezzir@home.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001
                I moved up to 2.04 - This did not fix the problem. What did fix the
                problem was de-selecting the "Weapon Focus" then re-selecting it - Saving,
                exiting, then reloading PCGen. So that one is fixed. It seems you should
                already have your weapon in your inventory before you select your feats...

                Here's a new one. I created a halfing thief - 6th level. She has a dex of
                18 and a light armor proficiency. I put leather +1 on her and it gave her
                a max dex 3 and a -3 armor check penalty to all str based skills. I tried
                going back to regular small leather but it had the same penalties. I tried
                de-selecting/re-selecting the armor (light) proficiency skill,
                saving/reloading, etc. It was stuck. I finally removed her "travelers
                outfit" and armor and when I put them back it finally corrected itself. At
                no time was I encumbered...

                It seems there may be some recalculation issues. It's hard to pin them
                down. I'm using PCGen to create a large pool of generic mid-level
                characters for quick games. Most of the problems I've encountered are
                related to calculating attack numbers and armor bonuses after you change
                the equipment around. I'll post other problems I find as I move forward
                with my little project.

                At 12:47 AM 7/5/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                >I think there was one issue with PCGen 2.0.3 regarding this. Try
                >today's release (2.0.4) and let me know if it still happens. Are you
                >sure you're not encumbered?
                >
                >-Bryan
                >
                >--- In pcgen@y..., "nezzir@h..." <nezzir@h...> wrote:
                > > I may just be missing something but I've created a generic 6th
                >level
                > > fighter as a test. You can see the sheet here:
                > > www.nezzir.com/testchar.html
                > > For armor, I gave him a +2 suit of chain and a large +1 steel
                >shield to go
                > > with his Masterwork Longsword. If I equip both armor items then
                >his attack
                > > bonus on all weapons goes down by 1... If I un-equip either one,
                >it returns...
                > >
                > > I couldn't find anything in the books about it - except something
                >about
                > > proficiencies - but he is proficient with the armor as well as the
                > > weapons. He also has weapon focus and specialization.
                > >
                > > It's driving me nuts watching that number go down when I equip the
                >chain shirt.
                > >
                > > BTW - This is PCGen 2.03

                NezziR,
                Mark A. Warren
                -=*-----------------------------------------------------*=-

                "Tis now the very witching time of night
                when churchyards yawn and hell itself breaths out contagion to this world,
                now could I drink hot blood and do such bitter business as the day would
                quake to look on."

                William Shakespeare,
                Hamlet
              • mocha@mcs.net
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001
                  --- In pcgen@y..., "nezzir@h..." <nezzir@h...> wrote:
                  > I moved up to 2.04 - This did not fix the problem. What did fix
                  the
                  > problem was de-selecting the "Weapon Focus" then re-selecting it -
                  Saving,
                  > exiting, then reloading PCGen. So that one is fixed. It seems you
                  should
                  > already have your weapon in your inventory before you select your
                  feats...

                  De-selecting and re-selecting the feat does force PCGen to re-
                  validate your choices, but those selections have nothing to do with
                  any equipment you have.

                  > Here's a new one. I created a halfing thief - 6th level. She has
                  a dex of
                  > 18 and a light armor proficiency. I put leather +1 on her and it
                  gave her
                  > a max dex 3 and a -3 armor check penalty to all str based skills.
                  I tried
                  > going back to regular small leather but it had the same penalties.
                  I tried
                  > de-selecting/re-selecting the armor (light) proficiency skill,
                  > saving/reloading, etc. It was stuck. I finally removed
                  her "travelers
                  > outfit" and armor and when I put them back it finally corrected
                  itself. At
                  > no time was I encumbered...

                  You removed the items from your inventory and then added them back in
                  and it worked? These calculations are done 'on the fly', so adding
                  them back in should not have made a difference. The -3 does match
                  the medium load penalty... can you recreate the problem with a new
                  character every time?

                  > It seems there may be some recalculation issues. It's hard to pin
                  them
                  > down. I'm using PCGen to create a large pool of generic mid-level
                  > characters for quick games. Most of the problems I've encountered
                  are
                  > related to calculating attack numbers and armor bonuses after you
                  change
                  > the equipment around. I'll post other problems I find as I move
                  forward
                  > with my little project.

                  Okay - I'd be interested in what you find. All calculations are
                  done 'on the fly' - I don't save anything except the base unadjusted
                  values from which the checks/bab/hp/etc. are calculated. The main
                  factors to check would be your load type (encumberance penalty),
                  armor check, max dex, any proficiency related penalties, etc.

                  -Bryan

                  > At 12:47 AM 7/5/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                  > >I think there was one issue with PCGen 2.0.3 regarding this. Try
                  > >today's release (2.0.4) and let me know if it still happens. Are
                  you
                  > >sure you're not encumbered?
                  > >
                  > >-Bryan
                  > >
                  > >--- In pcgen@y..., "nezzir@h..." <nezzir@h...> wrote:
                  > > > I may just be missing something but I've created a generic 6th
                  > >level
                  > > > fighter as a test. You can see the sheet here:
                  > > > www.nezzir.com/testchar.html
                  > > > For armor, I gave him a +2 suit of chain and a large +1 steel
                  > >shield to go
                  > > > with his Masterwork Longsword. If I equip both armor items then
                  > >his attack
                  > > > bonus on all weapons goes down by 1... If I un-equip either
                  one,
                  > >it returns...
                  > > >
                  > > > I couldn't find anything in the books about it - except
                  something
                  > >about
                  > > > proficiencies - but he is proficient with the armor as well as
                  the
                  > > > weapons. He also has weapon focus and specialization.
                  > > >
                  > > > It's driving me nuts watching that number go down when I equip
                  the
                  > >chain shirt.
                  > > >
                  > > > BTW - This is PCGen 2.03

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  > NezziR,
                  > Mark A. Warren
                  > -=*-----------------------------------------------------*=-
                  >
                  > "Tis now the very witching time of night
                  > when churchyards yawn and hell itself breaths out contagion to this
                  world,
                  > now could I drink hot blood and do such bitter business as the day
                  would
                  > quake to look on."
                  >
                  > William Shakespeare,
                  > Hamlet
                • Robert Ward
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001
                    I had this issue with the 2.0.3 release, but when I got the 2.0.4
                    release and used it, it went away.

                    BTW Bryan no longer need to have you check that pcg file from
                    earlier, thanks though for the thought.

                    -Robert

                  • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001
                      You just installed 2.0.4 over 2.0.3, right? Did you do anything
                      else? I think Nezzir's problem is the same you were having, so maybe
                      you did something that Nezzir didn't which corrected the problem - at
                      least that's one possibility. Could you delete the pcg file since I
                      don't have to look at it now? (Actually, I did look at it and used it
                      to confirm for myself that the problem had been resolved...)

                      -Bryan

                      --- In pcgen@y..., "Robert Ward" <rward30@h...> wrote:
                      > I had this issue with the 2.0.3 release, but when I got the 2.0.4
                      > release and used it, it went away.
                      >
                      > BTW Bryan no longer need to have you check that pcg file from
                      > earlier, thanks though for the thought.
                      >
                      > -Robert
                      >
                      > --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
                      > > I think there was one issue with PCGen 2.0.3 regarding this. Try
                      > > today's release (2.0.4) and let me know if it still happens. Are
                      > you
                      > > sure you're not encumbered?
                      > >
                      > > -Bryan
                      > >
                      > > --- In pcgen@y..., "nezzir@h..." <nezzir@h...> wrote:
                      > > > I may just be missing something but I've created a generic 6th
                      > > level
                      > > > fighter as a test. You can see the sheet here:
                      > > > www.nezzir.com/testchar.html
                      > > > For armor, I gave him a +2 suit of chain and a large +1 steel
                      > > shield to go
                      > > > with his Masterwork Longsword. If I equip both armor items
                      then
                      > > his attack
                      > > > bonus on all weapons goes down by 1... If I un-equip either
                      one,
                      > > it returns...
                      > > >
                      > > > I couldn't find anything in the books about it - except
                      something
                      > > about
                      > > > proficiencies - but he is proficient with the armor as well as
                      > the
                      > > > weapons. He also has weapon focus and specialization.
                      > > >
                      > > > It's driving me nuts watching that number go down when I equip
                      > the
                      > > chain shirt.
                      > > >
                      > > > BTW - This is PCGen 2.03
                    • Yosemite Sam
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001
                        I ended up doing a new install of PCGen 2.04 to make my problems go away.

                      • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001
                          --- In pcgen@y..., "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@y...> wrote:
> [...]

                          I thought that the case-sensitivity in this instance had been
                          removed. Does your character still have both proficiencies? I
                          wonder if this is a bug due to converting characters from pre-lst-
                          file-cleanup to post-lst-file-cleanup.

                          -Bryan

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001
                              File already deleted, and what I did (which is same thing do
                              everytime) is installed new version in new location, then copy over
                              the pcg files that I am using. Then I import them with new version,
                              and check to see what/if anything needs fixing. Every thing from
                              previous version came thru fine, and had no issue with the armor to
                              hit penalty from previous version.

                              -Robert

                            • nezzir@home.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001
                                I had problems with old .pcg files from 2.03 but I haven't seen the problem
                                yet in 2.04. I am, however, doing something different now. I buy my
                                weapon and armor before I select my feats and proficiencies. I'll let you
                                know if I see the problem again.

                                At 12:49 AM 7/6/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                                >File already deleted, and what I did (which is same thing do
                                >everytime) is installed new version in new location, then copy over
                                >the pcg files that I am using. Then I import them with new version,
                                >and check to see what/if anything needs fixing. Every thing from
                                >previous version came thru fine, and had no issue with the armor to
                                >hit penalty from previous version.
                                >
                                >-Robert
                                >
                                >--- In pcgen@y..., merton_monk@y... wrote:
                                > > You just installed 2.0.4 over 2.0.3, right? Did you do anything
                                > > else? I think Nezzir's problem is the same you were having, so
                                >maybe
                                > > you did something that Nezzir didn't which corrected the problem -
                                >at
                                > > least that's one possibility. Could you delete the pcg file since I
                                > > don't have to look at it now? (Actually, I did look at it and used
                                >it
                                > > to confirm for myself that the problem had been resolved...)
                                > >
                                > > -Bryan
                                > >
                                > > --- In pcgen@y..., "Robert Ward" <rward30@h...> wrote:
                                > > > I had this issue with the 2.0.3 release, but when I got the 2.0.4
                                > > > release and used it, it went away.
                                > > >
                                > > > BTW Bryan no longer need to have you check that pcg file from
                                > > > earlier, thanks though for the thought.
                                > > >
                                > > > -Robert

                                >Try
                                >Are