Suggestion for multiple items

  • Yosemite Sam
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
      A thought occurred to me this morning. If the carried-flag value was
      changed to an int, Bryan wouldn't have to add a split button. You could buy
      more than 1 of an item and designate how many to carry. For weapons, if
      more than one is carried, if it is also equipped, assume one in each hand.
    • mocha@mcs.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
        Geez,
        where were you when I thought of the carry flag, huh? That's a superb
        suggestion!
        There is the slight problem of legacy pcg files - I suppose if the
        carried number is "Y" that I'll assume all of them are being carried
        (which is how it works now) and if it's "N" then that's basically a 0.
        Egads, that's a simple solution. Thanks for thinking of that!

        -Bryan

        --- In pcgen@y..., "Yosemite Sam" <churcht@b...> wrote:
        > A thought occurred to me this morning. If the carried-flag value was
        > changed to an int, Bryan wouldn't have to add a split button. You
        could buy
        > more than 1 of an item and designate how many to carry. For weapons, if
        > more than one is carried, if it is also equipped, assume one in each
        hand.
      • Lonestar
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
          Hi everyone!

          I found another little feature that should be tweaked:
          When you're not a Cleric you should be able to choose a diety
          independent of the Followers Alignment. In the campaign I'm DMing (FR,
          right after the times of trouble) basically everyone believes in a god
          and why shouldn't a Lawful Neutral monk believe in Lathander (NG,
          Followers (Priests): LG, NG, CG)?

          Feature requests/GUI changes:
          Stats tab:
          whats the sense of the big empty space under the stats
          table? can't we have the races table undter the stats table, so it
          would have more space for all those columns.
          Another idea would be putting the min/max stat fields there as well as
          the unlimited stat pool checkbos, the use purchase mode checkbox and
          the purchase mode table. After all those are character-specific
          settings wich may vary from char to char.
          The Pool field should be manually editable.

          *ducking for cover* ,

          Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
        • arcady
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001

            Well you're choosing the deity that is close to your heart. So it should
            still be bound by alignment.

            Everyone believes in all of the deities; because they're all there.
            There is no concept of 'faith' in a world where the divine has a material
            presence. It's not about belief; it's about who is special to your heart and
            your lifestyle.

          • Brandon Blackmoor
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
              > From: arcady [mailto:arcady0@...]
              > Subject: RE: [pcgen] BUG/FEATURES
              >

              > Well you're choosing the deity that is close to your heart.
              > So it should still be bound by alignment.

              A human being's heart does not have sharp edges, and deities often
              have more than one aspect. Chosen deity should not be restricted by
              alignment. Leave that for the DM to put restrictions on, if she wants
              to.

              bblackmoor@...
            • Lonestar
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
                >> I found another little feature that should be tweaked:
                >> When you're not a Cleric you should be able to choose a diety
                >> independent of the Followers Alignment. In the campaign I'm DMing (FR,
                >> right after the times of trouble) basically everyone believes in a god
                >> and why shouldn't a Lawful Neutral monk believe in Lathander (NG,
                >> Followers (Priests): LG, NG, CG)?

                a> Well you're choosing the deity that is close to your heart. So it should
                a> still be bound by alignment.

                a> Everyone believes in all of the deities; because they're all there.
                a> There is no concept of 'faith' in a world where the divine has a material
                a> presence. It's not about belief; it's about who is special to your heart and
                a> your lifestyle.

                In the Forgotten Realms you know that all the gods exist but you
                believe in the one who's ways are closest to yours. That doesn't mean
                you'll have to be of the same alignment. Who says that you have to be
                lawful to belive in a god of the dead (in the FR the god of the Dead
                is actually LN)? Who says that you have to be good to believe in
                magic?
                After all, alignments are not laws how you char has to behave, they're
                more like a general index for his overall behaviour.
                If a god wants his priests to be of a certain alignment, ok, but a god
                can't prevent anyone to say, "hey, I believe in you".

                I mean having a certain alingment doesn't mean having a certain
                lifestyle. Lets take true neutral for example: 2 extreme
                interpretations of that alignment could be
                - you switch sides all the time to keep perfect balance between good
                and evil
                - you don't really care about what everyone else is doing

                The first might believe in a god of war while the second might believe
                in a god of boredom ;)

                Besides, chars who don't believe in a god in the Realms can't be
                raised.

                Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
              • rabrhe@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
                  >>> I found another little feature that should be tweaked:
                  >>> When you're not a Cleric you should be able to choose a diety
                  >>> independent of the Followers Alignment.

                  >> Well you're choosing the deity that is close to your heart. So it
                  >> should still be bound by alignment.

                  > In the Forgotten Realms you know that all the gods exist but you
                  > believe in the one who's ways are closest to yours. That doesn't
                  > mean you'll have to be of the same alignment.

                  All the classes (cleric, druid, paladin, ranger at 4th level or above,
                  blackguard, arcane devotee, divine champion, divine disciple, divine
                  seeker, maybe some others) that require patron deities in FR also
                  require that you be alignment-qualified to serve that deity. Now,
                  yes, if you aren't one of those classes, you can have a patron deity
                  of divergent alignment; but there are no game effects to that choice
                  in PCGen terms. So, unless you are of one of those classes, it's
                  really a background detail that is handled perfectly well by the
                  character description.

                  Otherwise, you need to add code that would specifically make checks to
                  disqualify you from certain classes based on alignment-and-patron
                  combination; e.g. from the Arcane Devotee class if you were a true
                  neutral wizard who worshipped Mystra.
                • Lonestar
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
                    ryc> All the classes (cleric, druid, paladin, ranger at 4th level or above,
                    ryc> blackguard, arcane devotee, divine champion, divine disciple, divine
                    ryc> seeker, maybe some others) that require patron deities in FR also
                    ryc> require that you be alignment-qualified to serve that deity. Now,
                    ryc> yes, if you aren't one of those classes, you can have a patron deity
                    ryc> of divergent alignment; but there are no game effects to that choice
                    ryc> in PCGen terms. So, unless you are of one of those classes, it's
                    ryc> really a background detail that is handled perfectly well by the
                    ryc> character description.

                    ryc> Otherwise, you need to add code that would specifically make checks to
                    ryc> disqualify you from certain classes based on alignment-and-patron
                    ryc> combination; e.g. from the Arcane Devotee class if you were a true
                    ryc> neutral wizard who worshipped Mystra.

                    how about a "ignore alignment restrictions"-checkbox?

                    Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
                  • rabrhe@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
                      --- In pcgen@y..., Lonestar <Lonestar@l...> wrote:
                      > how about a "ignore alignment restrictions"-checkbox?

                      That'd work.
                    • Brandon Blackmoor
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
                        > From: rabrhe@... [mailto:rabrhe@...]
                        > Subject: [pcgen] Re: BUG/FEATURES
                        >
                        > So, unless you are of one of those classes, it's
                        > really a background detail that is handled
                        > perfectly well by the character description.

                        Not if the program prevents you from selecting your chosen alignment,
                        which it inexplicably does.

                        Which brings me to what will undoubtedly be an unpopular observation:

                        PCGen tries to do too much. This is why it fails at nearly everything.
                        It can't even add up purchase-mode stats, for pete's sake.

                        Start off small: choose a class, choose stats, choose a race and let
                        it modify those stats. Once that's *working*, *then* move on to skills
                        and whether they're cross-class, and what the stat adjustments for
                        those skills are. Once *that* is working, move on to spell lists based
                        on class. And way, way, way down the road, when the basic stuff ALL
                        *works*, tackle optional widgets like prestige classes.

                        (I won't even get into the interface issues, which need every bit as
                        much planning and obviously aren't getting it either.)

                        That's my two cents.

                        bblackmoor@...
                      • rabrhe@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
                            > From: rabrhe@... [mailto:rabrhe@...]
                            > Subject: [pcgen] Re: BUG/FEATURES
                            >
                            > What the hell does your "chosen alignment" have to do
                            > with that?

                            Perhaps the previous messages have not reached your mail server, but
                            when they do it'll make sense to you. I guess I should have quoted
                            more of the previous messages.

                            blackmoor@...
                          • mocha@mcs.net
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
                              Would we want something broader than that? I mean - if we're going to
                              allow bypass of restrictions on Deities, should it be just for these
                              'non-consequential' classes? (not a cleric, paladin, or divine spell
                              caster who actually gains material benefit from the deity chosen)
                              What about the restrictions on selecting feats, prestige classes,
                              domains, etc.? This could potentially be a pandora's box... what
                              restrictions do we allow to be bypassed and under what circumstances?
                              This is kind of like putting restrictions on restrictions... :)

                              -Bryan

                            • rodac@pnv.net
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
                                --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
                                > Would we want something broader than that? I mean - if we're going
                                > allow bypass of restrictions on Deities, should it be just for these
                                > 'non-consequential' classes? (not a cleric, paladin, or divine spell
                                > caster who actually gains material benefit from the deity chosen)
                                > What about the restrictions on selecting feats, prestige classes,
                                > domains, etc.? This could potentially be a pandora's box... what
                                > restrictions do we allow to be bypassed and under what
                                circumstances?
                                > This is kind of like putting restrictions on restrictions... :)
                                >
                                > -Bryan
                                >
                                > --- In pcgen@y..., rabrhe@y... wrote:
                                > > --- In pcgen@y..., Lonestar <Lonestar@l...> wrote:
                                > > > how about a "ignore alignment restrictions"-checkbox?
                                > >
                                > > That'd work.

                                I think instead of a "ignore" switch/box you should code it to force
                                divine caster to pick correctly and allow others to pick what they
                                want. But do you want this in as part of the main system or can it be
                                coded for campaign? Its a FR thingy. Even though I dont use the
                                campaign 'world' for FR I do use some of its rules and this is one of
                                them. Maybe you should be able to select any deity, ignoring the
                                qualifier. But still keep the qualifier there so Divine casters can
                                use the filter for qualified Deities to make their selection. Or
                                force it to filter qualified deities for anyone who is a divine
                                caster and allow others to do as they wish.
                                -rodney
                              • Lonestar
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
                                  mmn> Would we want something broader than that? I mean - if we're going to
                                  mmn> allow bypass of restrictions on Deities, should it be just for these
                                  mmn> 'non-consequential' classes? (not a cleric, paladin, or divine spell
                                  mmn> caster who actually gains material benefit from the deity chosen)
                                  mmn> What about the restrictions on selecting feats, prestige classes,
                                  mmn> domains, etc.? This could potentially be a pandora's box... what
                                  mmn> restrictions do we allow to be bypassed and under what circumstances?
                                  mmn> This is kind of like putting restrictions on restrictions... :)

                                  mmn> --- In pcgen@y..., rabrhe@y... wrote:
                                  >> --- In pcgen@y..., Lonestar <Lonestar@l...> wrote:
                                  >> > how about a "ignore alignment restrictions"-checkbox?

                                  Well, I don't wan't to completely switch off that restriction for all
                                  cases, I just want my players to be able to select their diety which
                                  then should appear in the diety field on the char sheet ;)
                                  It might be a good idea though to have a Options tab for each char
                                  where you can customize the restrictions, maybe with some sort of
                                  logging in the pcg file or a "DM check" function that tells you which
                                  restrictions were turned off while creating that char.
                                  There should be an automated check function anyways....
                                  One that lets the DM set up parameters for char creation like max stat
                                  pool, item restriction, alignment restrictions, race restrictions and
                                  such and then have the program check .pcg files if the chars were
                                  created correctly.

                                  Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
                                • mocha@mcs.net
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 2, 2001
                                    Or should we simply allow any character to select a Deity and only
                                    apply the restrictions to divine spell casters or anyone who would be
                                    able to select a domain? That complicates things, because suppose
                                    you start off as a Wizard, select a deity, then add a level of
                                    Cleric, and suddenly you have to switch deities...

                                    -Bryan