String index out of range

  • Steven Gilroy
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2, 2003
      autobuild.timestamp
      200308022314

      I get the following error when I start PCGen with any source loaded
      (tried with several individual sources including the SRD):

      Error in Main Source whilst initialising:
      java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 1
      PCGen may not operate correctly as a result of this error.

      I only get this if I have sources load at startup...and with any source.
      If I have no sources loaded at startup I don't get the error.

      I get this on the console:

      PersistanceLayer
      pcgen.persistence.PersistenceLayerException:
      ERROR:/usr/local/pcgen/data/wizardsofthecoast/sourcebooks/dnd/core/phb/phb.pcc
      error
      Exception type:java.io.FileNotFoundException
      Message:/usr/local/pcgen/data/wizardsofthecoast/sourcebooks/dnd/core/phb/phb.pcc
      (No such file or directory)
      java.io.FileNotFoundException:
      /usr/local/pcgen/data/wizardsofthecoast/sourcebooks/dnd/core/phb/phb.pcc
      (No such file or directory)
      at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
      at
      pcgen.persistence.lst.LstSystemLoader.initFile(LstSystemLoader.java:1513)
      at
      pcgen.persistence.lst.LstSystemLoader.initFile(LstSystemLoader.java:1436)
      at
      pcgen.persistence.lst.LstSystemLoader.loadPCCFilesInRecursiveList(LstSystemLoader.java:394)
      at
      pcgen.persistence.lst.LstSystemLoader.initialize(LstSystemLoader.java:276)
      at
      pcgen.persistence.PersistenceManager.initialize(PersistenceManager.java:63)
      at
      pcgen.core.SettingsHandler.getOptionsFromProperties(SettingsHandler.java:614)
      at pcgen.gui.pcGenGUI.<init>(pcGenGUI.java:116)
      at pcgen.gui.pcGenGUI.main(pcGenGUI.java:335)
      at pcgen.core.Main.main(Main.java:73)
      PersistanceLayer
      pcgen.persistence.PersistenceLayerException:
      ERROR:/usr/local/pcgen/data/privateerpress/modules/ironkingdoms/shadowoftheexile/shadowexile.pcc
      error
      Exception type:java.io.FileNotFoundException
      Message:/usr/local/pcgen/data/privateerpress/modules/ironkingdoms/shadowoftheexile/shadowexile.pcc
      (No such file or directory)
[...]
      ERROR:/usr/local/pcgen/data/privateerpress/modules/ironkingdoms/thelongestnight/longestnight.pcc
      error
      Exception type:java.io.FileNotFoundException
      Message:/usr/local/pcgen/data/privateerpress/modules/ironkingdoms/thelongestnight/longestnight.pcc
      (No such file or directory)
[...]
      ERROR:/usr/local/pcgen/data/privateerpress/sourcebooks/ironkingdoms/ironkingdoms/ironkingdoms.pcc
      error
      Exception type:java.io.FileNotFoundException
      Message:/usr/local/pcgen/data/privateerpress/sourcebooks/ironkingdoms/ironkingdoms/ironkingdoms.pcc
      (No such file or directory)
[...]
      ERROR:/usr/local/pcgen/data/kenzer/sourcebooks/kingdomsofkalamar/kalamar.pcc
      error
      Exception type:java.io.FileNotFoundException
      Message:/usr/local/pcgen/data/kenzer/sourcebooks/kingdomsofkalamar/kalamar.pcc
      (No such file or directory)
[...]
      ERROR:/usr/local/pcgen/data/sovereignpress/sourcebooks/sovereignstone/sovereign.pcc
      error
      Exception type:java.io.FileNotFoundException
      Message:/usr/local/pcgen/data/sovereignpress/sourcebooks/sovereignstone/sovereign.pcc
      (No such file or directory)
[...]
      Error initialising MainSource:
      java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 1
      java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 1
      at java.lang.String.substring(Unknown Source)
      at pcgen.core.Equipment.setSize(Equipment.java:2531)
      at pcgen.core.PObject.createNaturalWeapon(PObject.java:903)
      at pcgen.core.PObject.setNaturalAttacks(PObject.java:857)
      at
      pcgen.persistence.lst.PObjectLoader.parseTagLevel(PObjectLoader.java:187)
      at
      pcgen.persistence.lst.PObjectLoader.parseTag(PObjectLoader.java:49)
      at pcgen.persistence.lst.RaceLoader.parseLine(RaceLoader.java:63)
      at
      pcgen.persistence.lst.LstSystemLoader.intFileTypeRace(LstSystemLoader.java:2652)
      at
      pcgen.persistence.lst.LstSystemLoader.initFile(LstSystemLoader.java:1643)
      at
      pcgen.persistence.lst.LstSystemLoader.initFile(LstSystemLoader.java:1436)
      at
      pcgen.persistence.lst.LstSystemLoader.loadCampaigns(LstSystemLoader.java:704)
      at
      pcgen.persistence.PersistenceManager.loadCampaigns(PersistenceManager.java:98)
      at pcgen.gui.MainSource.loadCampaigns(MainSource.java:1000)
      at pcgen.gui.MainSource.initComponents(MainSource.java:410)
      at pcgen.gui.MainSource.<init>(MainSource.java:177)
      at pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1.<init>(PCGen_Frame1.java:154)
      at pcgen.gui.pcGenGUI.<init>(pcGenGUI.java:190)

      --

      Steven Gilroy
      PCGen OS Lemur
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 2, 2003
        I just noticed that even if I load a source it does not actually load.
        It shows that it is loaded but I don't have the option to open a
        character, the only thing available in the file menu is New...when I
        click on that I get a message that I need to load sources first.

        Steven Gilroy wrote:
        > autobuild.timestamp
        > 200308022314
        >
        > I get the following error when I start PCGen with any source loaded
        > (tried with several individual sources including the SRD):
        >
        > Error in Main Source whilst initialising:
        > java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 1
        > PCGen may not operate correctly as a result of this error.

        <snip>
        --

        Steven Gilroy
        PCGen OS Lemur
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2003
          More info...it appears this started with 5.3.2
          I tried 5.3.2 and got the same error, but everything appears to be fine
          in 5.3.1

        • Kevin Colagio
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 2, 2003
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gilroy wrote:
            > I just noticed that even if I load a source it does not
            > actually load.
            > It shows that it is loaded but I don't have the option to open a
            > character, the only thing available in the file menu is New...when I
            > click on that I get a message that I need to load sources first.

            Sounds like the problem I have with 5.3.2 ....

            Kevin Colagio
          • Jayme Cox
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2003
              Steven Gilroy wrote:

              > I get this on the console:
              >
              > PersistanceLayer
              > pcgen.persistence.PersistenceLayerException:
              > ERROR:/usr/local/pcgen/data/wizardsofthecoast/sourcebooks/dnd/core/phb/phb.pcc
              > error
              > Exception type:java.io.FileNotFoundException
              > Message:/usr/local/pcgen/data/wizardsofthecoast/sourcebooks/dnd/core/phb/phb.pcc
              > (No such file or directory)

              Please try again with the latest autobuild and let me know the results.
              Thanks!
            • Jayme Cox
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2, 2003
                Kevin Colagio wrote:
                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gilroy wrote:
                >
                >>I just noticed that even if I load a source it does not
                >>actually load.
                >
                > Sounds like the problem I have with 5.3.2 ....
                >
                > Kevin Colagio

                You might try deleting your options.ini file and see if that fixes the
                problem....
              • Steven Gilroy
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2, 2003
                  I had already tried deleting the options.ini and all other .ini files
                  for that matter...

                  I just tried with autobuild timestamped 200308030314

                  No error when starting but now when I try to open a character the
                  character tab does not show up. Here is what I get on the console:

                  java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 3
                  at java.lang.String.substring(Unknown Source)
                  at pcgen.core.PObject.passesPrereqStat(PObject.java:6860)
                  at pcgen.core.PObject.access$1100(PObject.java:62)
                  at
                  pcgen.core.PObject$PreReqTestsToUse.passesTests(PObject.java:3572)
                  at
                  pcgen.core.PObject$PreReqTestsToGain.passesTests(PObject.java:3349)
                  at pcgen.core.PObject.passesPreReqForList(PObject.java:4007)
                  at pcgen.core.PObject.passesPreReqToGainForList(PObject.java:3827)
                  at pcgen.core.Feat.passesPreReqToGainForList(Feat.java:185)
                  at pcgen.core.PObject.passesPreReqToGainForList(PObject.java:3249)
                  at pcgen.core.PObject.passesPreReqToGain(PObject.java:3182)
                  at pcgen.gui.utils.PObjectNode.toString(PObjectNode.java:249)
                  at javax.swing.JTree.convertValueToText(Unknown Source)
                  at
                  javax.swing.tree.DefaultTreeCellRenderer.getTreeCellRendererComponent(Unknown
                  Source)
                  at
                  javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI$NodeDimensionsHandler.getNodeDimensions(Unknown
                  Source)
                  at
                  javax.swing.tree.AbstractLayoutCache.getNodeDimensions(Unknown Source)
                  at
                  javax.swing.tree.VariableHeightLayoutCache$TreeStateNode.updatePreferredSize(Unknown
                  Source)
                  at
                  javax.swing.tree.VariableHeightLayoutCache$TreeStateNode.expand(Unknown
                  Source)
                  at
                  javax.swing.tree.VariableHeightLayoutCache$TreeStateNode.expand(Unknown
                  Source)
                  at javax.swing.tree.VariableHeightLayoutCache.rebuild(Unknown
                  Source)
                  at javax.swing.tree.VariableHeightLayoutCache.setModel(Unknown
                  Source)
                  at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI.setModel(Unknown Source)
                  at
                  javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI$PropertyChangeHandler.propertyChange(Unknown
                  Source)
                  at
                  javax.swing.event.SwingPropertyChangeSupport.firePropertyChange(Unknown
                  Source)
                  at
                  javax.swing.event.SwingPropertyChangeSupport.firePropertyChange(Unknown
                  Source)
                  at javax.swing.JComponent.firePropertyChange(Unknown Source)
                  at javax.swing.JTree.setModel(Unknown Source)
                  at javax.swing.JTree.<init>(Unknown Source)
                  at
                  pcgen.gui.utils.JTreeTable$TreeTableCellRenderer.<init>(JTreeTable.java:501)
                  at pcgen.gui.utils.JTreeTable.<init>(JTreeTable.java:97)
                  at pcgen.gui.tabs.InfoFeats.createTreeTables(InfoFeats.java:798)
                  at pcgen.gui.tabs.InfoFeats.initComponents(InfoFeats.java:481)
                  at pcgen.gui.tabs.InfoFeats.<init>(InfoFeats.java:405)
                  at pcgen.gui.CharacterInfo.<init>(CharacterInfo.java:69)
                  at pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1.addPCTab(PCGen_Frame1.java:753)
                  at pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1.loadPCFromFile(PCGen_Frame1.java:1108)
                  at
                  pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1.openItem_actionPerformed(PCGen_Frame1.java:1095)
                  at
                  pcgen.gui.FrameActionListener$2.actionPerformed(FrameActionListener.java:71)
                  at
                  javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(Unknown
                  Source)
                  at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown
                  Source)
                  at
                  javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
                  at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
                  at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown
                  Source)
                  at
                  pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1$WaitCursorEventQueue.dispatchEvent(PCGen_Frame1.java:2677)
                  at
                  java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
                  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown
                  Source)

                  Jayme Cox wrote:
                  > Kevin Colagio wrote:
                  >
                  >>--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gilroy wrote:
                  >>

                  >>>I just noticed that even if I load a source it does not
                  >>>actually load.
                  >>
                  >>Sounds like the problem I have with 5.3.2 ....
                  >>
                  >>Kevin Colagio
                  >

                  > You might try deleting your options.ini file and see if that fixes the
                  > problem....

                  Steven Gilroy
                  PCGen OS Lemur
                • Steven Gilroy
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 2, 2003
                    Interesting side note to this, if I try opening up an existing character
                    no character tab shows up...but then if I try to create a new character
                    the New character tab comes up with the info for the character I just
                    tried to open....strange things going on here...

                    Steven Gilroy
                    PCGen OS Lemur
                  • Jayme Cox
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 2, 2003
                      Steven Gilroy wrote:
                      > I had already tried deleting the options.ini and all other .ini files
                      > for that matter...
                      >
                      > I just tried with autobuild timestamped 200308030314

                      Please try with autobuild timestamped 200308030514 or later (Sun Aug 3
                      05:14:00 2003 GMT or later)
                    • taluroniscandar
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 3, 2003
                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gilroy <sgilroy2@w...> wrote:
                        > Interesting side note to this, if I try opening up an existing
                        character
                        > no character tab shows up...but then if I try to create a new
                        character
                        > the New character tab comes up with the info for the character I
                        just
                        > tried to open....strange things going on here...

                        I've seen this behavior often in the past in different versions. In
                        my experience this is almost always a lst file problem. Always had a
                        Space somewhere in a lst file. When I found the space and replaced
                        with a tab it went away.
                      • Steven Gilroy
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 3, 2003
                          My LST files have not changed and this problem just started with version
                          5.3.2. When I go back to 5.3.1 everything is fine. This leads me to
                          believe that it is not a LST file problem.

                          Jayme, I just tried with autobuild timestamped 200308031514 and the tab
                          still does not show when I load a character.

                          I still get:

[...]
                          at pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1.addPCTab(PCGen_Frame1.java:762)
                          at pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1.loadPCFromFile(PCGen_Frame1.java:1117)
                          at
                          pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1.openItem_actionPerformed(PCGen_Frame1.java:1104)
                          at
                          pcgen.gui.FrameActionListener$2.actionPerformed(FrameActionListener.java:71)
                          at
                          javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(Unknown
                          Source)
                          at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown
                          Source)
                          at
                          javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
                          at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
                          at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown
                          Source)
                          at
                          pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1$WaitCursorEventQueue.dispatchEvent(PCGen_Frame1.java:2686)

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 3, 2003
                            Steven Gilroy wrote:
                            > I still get:
                            >
                            > java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 3
                            > at java.lang.String.substring(Unknown Source)
                            > at pcgen.core.PObject.passesPrereqStat(PObject.java:6860)

                            Looks like you have an error in one of your PRESTAT: tokens. Try the
                            latest autobuild an hour from now and it should output the token with
                            the problem.
                          • Steven Gilroy
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 4, 2003
                              Jayme,
                              That fixed it, the characters open like they are supposed to now. I
                              do get "Badly formed PRESTAT token: 1,Q" 3 times now when I open the
                              first character, but everything works normally.

                              Keep up the good work!

                              Jayme Cox wrote:
                              > Steven Gilroy wrote:
                              >
                              >>I still get:
                              >>
                              >>java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 3
                              >> at java.lang.String.substring(Unknown Source)
                              >> at pcgen.core.PObject.passesPrereqStat(PObject.java:6860)
                              >

                              > Looks like you have an error in one of your PRESTAT: tokens. Try the
                              > latest autobuild an hour from now and it should output the token with
                              > the problem.

                              Steven Gilroy
                              PCGen OS Lemur