Re: Feature request

  • mocha@mcs.net
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
      In the Features Requests.txt file, Dave has an item about adding
      VFEAT: to classes, which can be used as pre-requisites for other
      feats.

      -Bryan

    • mocha@mcs.net
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
        I'm not entirely certain what's missing as I hadn't looked too
        carefully at all what Star Wars Gamer had in it. Robert said that
        there were a few prestige classes and some skills. Hopefully he can
        clear that up for us. So I'm not entirely certain what I'm talking
        about either - but I'm used to that! ;)

        -Bryan

        --- In pcgen@y..., "David Cortijo" <dcortijo@i...> wrote:
        > I hate to say this in the way I'm about to say it, but I HAVE NO
        IDEA WHAT THE $&%@)%&*!*&$(!&% any of you are talking about. I just
        downloaded the lastest realse of PCgen, overwrote all the files in my
        directory, and everything is working fine. I get all the Prestige
        Classes, all the Star Wars Gamer races, and all the class skills
        working properly. Check it out for yourselves - the data is in there.

        > Dave

        Hopefully

      • mocha@mcs.net
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
          All the examples of max rank I've seen for cross-class use integers,
          but you're probably right - there's no reason it has to be an
          integer. I suspect what I'm doing is quartering the max rank for
          class skills by dividing in half in two different places. I'll verify
          that and fix it for my next release.

        • Nigel Bennington
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
            Kewel

            In the Features Requests.txt file, Dave has an item about adding
            VFEAT: to classes, which can be used as pre-requisites for other
            feats.

            -Bryan

            --- In pcgen@y..., "Nigel Bennington" <nigel@i...> wrote:
            > Sword and Fist introduces the concept of the virtual feat, this is
            a special
            > ability that, although not providing identical behaviour to a feat,
            is
            > treated as if the character had the feat for all purposes, including
            > pre-rquisites. The character is also assumed to have all pre-
            requisites of
            > the feat for which the SA is a virtual, as far as prerequisites are
            > concerned (although he does not gain the game benefits).
            >
            > Can we add a SA tag to indicate that a particular special ability
            is a
            > virtual feat, and if so which feat it is? e.g.:
            >
            > SA:Flange Ability|VF|Spring Attack|Mobility|Dodge
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Nigel.

          • Rich Allen
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
              Actually, virtual feats have been around since the 3E players handbook!
              Rangers do NOT get the Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon feats free, they act as
              if they had those feats when wearing light or no armor though. It also
              works the same way as mentioned below, in that it acts as a prerequisite for
              selecting other feats. How is this treated in PCGen now?

              Rich

              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                It's not handled currently - not completely anyway. PCGen does not
                recognize these feats for the Ranger in terms of qualifying for other
                feats, but it does recognize them if the ranger is wearing light or
                no armor in terms of displaying your to-hit bonus on the character
                sheet. The VFEAT: tag will allow PCGen to handle the feats in terms
                of pre-requisites for other feats.

                -Bryan

                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                  This raises a interesting point, do we need to be able to specify the
                  prereqs that enable a VFEAT?

                  For instance, if we set up the ranger with

                  VFEAT:Ambidexterity,Two Weapon Fighting

                  Then this will affect his weapon TOHIT scores, if he then equips Chainmail
                  armour, the VFEAT should be disabled, and the two-weapon penalties come in
                  on his TOHIT.

                  This is the sort of thing that we ought to take into account, so how about
                  allowing us to state pre-requisites for when the VFEAT is active?

                  Nigel.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                    True - currently I have the Ranger's pre-reqs hard-coded.
                    Maybe something like
                    VFEAT:Two-Weapon Fighting|Amibidexterity|Load=Light,Armor=NoneLight
                    where all the items before the last | are feats that are only valid
                    if the requirements after the last | are met.
                    If a class has more than one VFEAT that meet different criteria,
                    they'd need multiple VFEAT tags.

                    I suppose a VFEAT that had no restrictions might as well be added to
                    the FEAT: tag, right? Why would it be a virtual feat if there are no
                    strings attached?

                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                      It would still be a VFEAT if the FEAT it echoes has pre-requisites, since
                      the character is deemed to have all the pre-requisites of the VFEAT, for
                      purposes of them being pre-requisites of other feats, but does not get the
                      game benefits of them.

                      Nigel.

                      True - currently I have the Ranger's pre-reqs hard-coded.
                      Maybe something like
                      VFEAT:Two-Weapon Fighting|Amibidexterity|Load=Light,Armor=NoneLight
                      where all the items before the last | are feats that are only valid
                      if the requirements after the last | are met.
                      If a class has more than one VFEAT that meet different criteria,
                      they'd need multiple VFEAT tags.

                      I suppose a VFEAT that had no restrictions might as well be added to
                      the FEAT: tag, right? Why would it be a virtual feat if there are no
                      strings attached?

                      -Bryan

                      --- In pcgen@y..., "Nigel Bennington" <nigel@i...> wrote:
                      > This raises a interesting point, do we need to be able to specify
                      the
                      > prereqs that enable a VFEAT?
                      >
                      > For instance, if we set up the ranger with
                      >
                      > VFEAT:Ambidexterity,Two Weapon Fighting
                      >
                      > Then this will affect his weapon TOHIT scores, if he then equips
                      Chainmail
                      > armour, the VFEAT should be disabled, and the two-weapon penalties
                      come in
                      > on his TOHIT.
                      >
                      > This is the sort of thing that we ought to take into account, so
                      how about
                      > allowing us to state pre-requisites for when the VFEAT is active?
                      >
                      > Nigel.

                    • Edward Downard
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                        awesome!

                        when it comes to programming stuff...i am no good. graphics man..that is my
                        bag

                        Edward Downard
                        Digital Media Designer
                        http://home.earthlink.net/~edownard

                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                          Well, graphics are definitely NOT mine.
                          For those reading this list who are good at graphics, how about a
                          couple of suggestions:
                          1. if you don't like my PC icon (blue field with yellow PC letters),
                          can you do any better in an 8x8 pixel icon?
                          2. Maybe you'd be interested in creating character portraits - I
                          think at least one charactersheet that's been uploaded refers to a
                          pic file of the same name as the character. Maybe I should create a
                          Portraits directory - I don't want it to get out of hand space-wise,
                          so keep the pics small and smallish in number.

                          -Bryan

                        • arcady0@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                            > 2. Maybe you'd be interested in creating character portraits - I
                            > think at least one charactersheet that's been uploaded refers to a
                            > pic file of the same name as the character. Maybe I should create a
                            > Portraits directory - I don't want it to get out of hand space-wise,
                            > so keep the pics small and smallish in number.

                            That would be my CSS character sheet. It takes any 178*178 pixel image
                            named character_name.jpg .

                            I think a portraits directory is a bad idea.

                            images eat space real fast.

                            People should provide their own images off of their own hard drives
                            for their characters. That shouldn't be your service. Besides most of
                            them are likley to be copyright violations (unless they draw them
                            themselves like I do) and you don't need to put yourself in that kind
                            of risky water.

                            As for your icon. I'm a graphic designer and could play around a bit.
                            But 8*8 pixel space isn't much. :)
                          • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                              pics would definitly be interesting... but should be a locally generated
                              file. Could you provide an empty file, or place holders? that way the pc
                              files would look for a pic, find an emply placeholder, and not error unless
                              there was a pic.

                              Ernie Moulton
                              E-Mail Administrator **
                              ACS / HQ USAREC
                              502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994
                              mailto:moulton@...

                              For those reading this list who are good at graphics, how about a
                              couple of suggestions:
                              1. if you don't like my PC icon (blue field with yellow PC letters),
                              can you do any better in an 8x8 pixel icon?
                              2. Maybe you'd be interested in creating character portraits - I
                              think at least one charactersheet that's been uploaded refers to a
                              pic file of the same name as the character. Maybe I should create a
                              Portraits directory - I don't want it to get out of hand space-wise,
                              so keep the pics small and smallish in number.

                              -Bryan

                              --- In pcgen@y..., "Edward Downard" <edownard@e...> wrote:
                              > awesome!
                              >
                              > when it comes to programming stuff...i am no good. graphics
                              man..that is my
                              > bag
                              >
                              > Edward Downard
                              > Digital Media Designer
                              > http://home.earthlink.net/~edownard

                            • Robert Hilson
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                i have a plain old geocities site through yahoo and ill host pics. anyone know
                                wther we could use the pics off woc sebsite? let me know ill edit my website
                                and then wait for pics to put up

                                =====
                                Robert Hilson
                                http://www.bepaid.com/users.rhtml?REFID=11428864