RE: [pcgen] Re: pcgen slowdown

  • Jayme Cox
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 31, 2003
      > But once the character is loaded it should speed things up as
      > most of the bonus calculations seem to happen moving from tab to tab.

      The rewrite of the bonus code eliminates most of those recalcs.

      > As a question: What _is_ requesting the bonus values during load?

      There are two problems:
      First you have recursive BONUS statements. For instance, a FEAT may have a bonus
      that depends on DEX. But DEX depends on race BONUSes, on PC equipment carried
      (such as armor or max load), etc.
      Second is that a BONUS may have a PREREQ statement in it. So, you may only be
      able to use a BONUS if you are a dwarf or your DEX is higher than 13, etc.

      The information contained within the .pcg file must be interpreted each time the
      file is loaded. In other words, your character is built from the ground up each
      time you load, just as if you were clicking around the GUI, adding levels,
      feats, etc.

      The combination of these two is what causes the large number of bonus
      recalculations, to see if you can have the BONUS from X which has a PreReq of Y
      which depends on Z (which depends on A, which depends on B) applied to your
      character or not.
    • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 31, 2003
        Tracker organized, number will be posted by David.

        TM SB

        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 2, 2003
          782130