[OT] Geeks in training (was: D&D 3.5 Update Booklet)

  • Brass Tilde
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2003
      > Actually, my son would probably be right into going to the Con. He's a
      > Yu-gi-oh freak right now, he's always been into dragons and he thinks
      > swords are cool. Little geek in training... I'm so *proud* of him!

      Speaking of geeks in training, my 15 year old just started playing in our
      group (everyone of the five or six currently playing is over 35, and one is
      over 60, and only one of the whole group is under 35).

      Anyway, while generating his current character, a dwarven fighter, we were
      filling out the description tab, randomly generating characteristics, the
      description "Farm" came up in the Location box. I asked if that was
      alright, and he said "No way! I don't wanna be a redneck dwarf!"

      Now, the next location was "Large City", to which he responded "So, which is
      worse, a redneck dwarf, or one from the 'hood?"
    • Keith Davies
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2003
        On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 01:32:31PM -0400, Brass Tilde wrote:
        > > Actually, my son would probably be right into going to the Con. He's a
        > > Yu-gi-oh freak right now, he's always been into dragons and he thinks
        > > swords are cool. Little geek in training... I'm so *proud* of him!
        >
        > Speaking of geeks in training, my 15 year old just started playing in our
        > group (everyone of the five or six currently playing is over 35, and one is
        > over 60, and only one of the whole group is under 35).
        >
        > Anyway, while generating his current character, a dwarven fighter, we were
        > filling out the description tab, randomly generating characteristics, the
        > description "Farm" came up in the Location box. I asked if that was
        > alright, and he said "No way! I don't wanna be a redneck dwarf!"
        >
        > Now, the next location was "Large City", to which he responded "So, which is
        > worse, a redneck dwarf, or one from the 'hood?"

        "Dwarves in the 'hood" could make a workable storyline, actually, though
        it'd be hard to come up with a dwarven ghetto IMC. Most of the dwarves
        outside the Dwarven Kingdoms (DK) are there to perform specific jobs; as
        (very) skilled workers they tend to be well-paid.

        I could work with either of those, but it'd be a little different.

        The DK IMC are more technologically advanced than its neighbors, to the
        point of having steam engines. They were originally developed to help
        with mining, but about sixty years ago a particularly clever dwarven
        engineer managed to make them small enough to move, leading to railroads
        and even ironclad (dwarves IMC have major penalties to Swim because of
        their greater physical density, so they build boats that are hard to
        sink).

        The railroads are decentralizing the dwarven communities even more and
        increasing mobility between them. In the DK, living in a large city
        under the mountains is actually seen as been 'old fashioned' -- with the
        speed the trains can move troops, it's no longer necessary to live so
        close together.

        I can't wait for the PCs to run into a dwarf in sooty, greasy coveralls
        and smoking a big, rancid cigar.

        Keith
        --
        Keith Davies
        keith.davies@...

        PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass
      • Josh Johnston
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2003
          Yeah, I have my G.I.T. as well, at the age of 2 he had his own set of
          dice, at 3 he could beat Sonic the Hedgehog on the Dreamcast (R.I.P.)
          and now at 4 Star Wars and Legos are his consuming passions (at least
          for today :)). Not to mention the Pokemon, He-Man, TMNT, Spider-man
          comics, etc. God it's good to be a geek, I just hope he doesn't hit
          teenage angst and reject my values to become a jock or yuppie or
          something *shudder* :)

          Josh Johnston

          > Actually, my son would probably be right into going to the Con. He's
          > Yu-gi-oh freak right now, he's always been into dragons and he thinks
          > swords are cool. Little geek in training... I'm so *proud* of him!

          Speaking of geeks in training, my 15 year old just started playing in
          our
          group (everyone of the five or six currently playing is over 35, and one
          is
          over 60, and only one of the whole group is under 35).

          Anyway, while generating his current character, a dwarven fighter, we
          were
          filling out the description tab, randomly generating characteristics,
          the
          description "Farm" came up in the Location box. I asked if that was
          alright, and he said "No way! I don't wanna be a redneck dwarf!"

          Now, the next location was "Large City", to which he responded "So,
          which is
          worse, a redneck dwarf, or one from the 'hood?"

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=256694.3651271.4917408.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          016061:HM/A=1688501/R=0/SIG=11if1rb57/*http://webevents.yahoo.com/univer
          sal/seabiscuit/>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=256694.3651271.4917408.1261774/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=1688501/rand=606576028>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • D20 Books and More
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 31, 2003
            My alter ego runs the Family-DnD Yahoo Group where people discuss the mixed
            RPGing of adults and teens (or parents and kids).

            JP