Re: PCGen release 31Jan01

  • mocha@mcs.net
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
      That makes sense. I would probably do it more along the lines of
      PREITEM:1|Shield, large, wooden, masterwork|Shield, large, metal,
      masterwork|Shield, tower, masterwork
      From this I assume that the cavalier must have a large masterwork
      shield of some sort? So perhaps something along the lines of
      PREITEM:1|Shield, large%masterwork
      would be better at handling any possible permuatations?

      -Bryan

      --- In pcgen@y..., "Nigel Bennington" <nigel@i...> wrote:
      > Further thought
      >
      > could the PREITEM work as choose any n from a | delimited list
      (many items
      > have commas in the names), as this is needed for Cavalier, e.g.:
      >
      > PREITEM:1,Shield, large, wooden, masterwork|Shield, large, metal,
      > masterwork|Shield, tower, masterwork
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Nigel.

      Hopefully

    • mocha@mcs.net
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
        In the Features Requests.txt file, Dave has an item about adding
        VFEAT: to classes, which can be used as pre-requisites for other
        feats.

      • mocha@mcs.net
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
          I'm not entirely certain what's missing as I hadn't looked too
          carefully at all what Star Wars Gamer had in it. Robert said that
          there were a few prestige classes and some skills. Hopefully he can
          clear that up for us. So I'm not entirely certain what I'm talking
          about either - but I'm used to that! ;)

          -Bryan

          --- In pcgen@y..., "David Cortijo" <dcortijo@i...> wrote:
          > I hate to say this in the way I'm about to say it, but I HAVE NO
          IDEA WHAT THE $&%@)%&*!*&$(!&% any of you are talking about. I just
          downloaded the lastest realse of PCgen, overwrote all the files in my
          directory, and everything is working fine. I get all the Prestige
          Classes, all the Star Wars Gamer races, and all the class skills
          working properly. Check it out for yourselves - the data is in there.

        • mocha@mcs.net
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
            All the examples of max rank I've seen for cross-class use integers,
            but you're probably right - there's no reason it has to be an
            integer. I suspect what I'm doing is quartering the max rank for
            class skills by dividing in half in two different places. I'll verify
            that and fix it for my next release.

          • Nigel Bennington
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
              Kewel

              In the Features Requests.txt file, Dave has an item about adding
              VFEAT: to classes, which can be used as pre-requisites for other
              feats.

              -Bryan

              --- In pcgen@y..., "Nigel Bennington" <nigel@i...> wrote:
              > Sword and Fist introduces the concept of the virtual feat, this is
              a special
              > ability that, although not providing identical behaviour to a feat,
              is
              > treated as if the character had the feat for all purposes, including
              > pre-rquisites. The character is also assumed to have all pre-
              requisites of
              > the feat for which the SA is a virtual, as far as prerequisites are
              > concerned (although he does not gain the game benefits).
              >
              > Can we add a SA tag to indicate that a particular special ability
              is a
              > virtual feat, and if so which feat it is? e.g.:
              >
              > SA:Flange Ability|VF|Spring Attack|Mobility|Dodge
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Nigel.

            • Rich Allen
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                Actually, virtual feats have been around since the 3E players handbook!
                Rangers do NOT get the Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon feats free, they act as
                if they had those feats when wearing light or no armor though. It also
                works the same way as mentioned below, in that it acts as a prerequisite for
                selecting other feats. How is this treated in PCGen now?

                Rich

                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                  It's not handled currently - not completely anyway. PCGen does not
                  recognize these feats for the Ranger in terms of qualifying for other
                  feats, but it does recognize them if the ranger is wearing light or
                  no armor in terms of displaying your to-hit bonus on the character
                  sheet. The VFEAT: tag will allow PCGen to handle the feats in terms
                  of pre-requisites for other feats.

                  -Bryan

                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                    This raises a interesting point, do we need to be able to specify the
                    prereqs that enable a VFEAT?

                    For instance, if we set up the ranger with

                    VFEAT:Ambidexterity,Two Weapon Fighting

                    Then this will affect his weapon TOHIT scores, if he then equips Chainmail
                    armour, the VFEAT should be disabled, and the two-weapon penalties come in
                    on his TOHIT.

                    This is the sort of thing that we ought to take into account, so how about
                    allowing us to state pre-requisites for when the VFEAT is active?

                    Nigel.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                      True - currently I have the Ranger's pre-reqs hard-coded.
                      Maybe something like
                      VFEAT:Two-Weapon Fighting|Amibidexterity|Load=Light,Armor=NoneLight
                      where all the items before the last | are feats that are only valid
                      if the requirements after the last | are met.
                      If a class has more than one VFEAT that meet different criteria,
                      they'd need multiple VFEAT tags.

                      I suppose a VFEAT that had no restrictions might as well be added to
                      the FEAT: tag, right? Why would it be a virtual feat if there are no
                      strings attached?

                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                        It would still be a VFEAT if the FEAT it echoes has pre-requisites, since
                        the character is deemed to have all the pre-requisites of the VFEAT, for
                        purposes of them being pre-requisites of other feats, but does not get the
                        game benefits of them.

                        Nigel.

                        True - currently I have the Ranger's pre-reqs hard-coded.
                        Maybe something like
                        VFEAT:Two-Weapon Fighting|Amibidexterity|Load=Light,Armor=NoneLight
                        where all the items before the last | are feats that are only valid
                        if the requirements after the last | are met.
                        If a class has more than one VFEAT that meet different criteria,
                        they'd need multiple VFEAT tags.

                        I suppose a VFEAT that had no restrictions might as well be added to
                        the FEAT: tag, right? Why would it be a virtual feat if there are no
                        strings attached?

                        -Bryan

                        --- In pcgen@y..., "Nigel Bennington" <nigel@i...> wrote:
                        > This raises a interesting point, do we need to be able to specify
                        the
                        > prereqs that enable a VFEAT?
                        >
                        > For instance, if we set up the ranger with
                        >
                        > VFEAT:Ambidexterity,Two Weapon Fighting
                        >
                        > Then this will affect his weapon TOHIT scores, if he then equips
                        Chainmail
                        > armour, the VFEAT should be disabled, and the two-weapon penalties
                        come in
                        > on his TOHIT.
                        >
                        > This is the sort of thing that we ought to take into account, so
                        how about
                        > allowing us to state pre-requisites for when the VFEAT is active?
                        >
                        > Nigel.

                      • Edward Downard
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                          awesome!

                          when it comes to programming stuff...i am no good. graphics man..that is my
                          bag

                          Edward Downard
                          Digital Media Designer
                          http://home.earthlink.net/~edownard

                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                            Well, graphics are definitely NOT mine.
                            For those reading this list who are good at graphics, how about a
                            couple of suggestions:
                            1. if you don't like my PC icon (blue field with yellow PC letters),
                            can you do any better in an 8x8 pixel icon?
                            2. Maybe you'd be interested in creating character portraits - I
                            think at least one charactersheet that's been uploaded refers to a
                            pic file of the same name as the character. Maybe I should create a
                            Portraits directory - I don't want it to get out of hand space-wise,
                            so keep the pics small and smallish in number.

                            -Bryan

                          • arcady0@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                              > 2. Maybe you'd be interested in creating character portraits - I
                              > think at least one charactersheet that's been uploaded refers to a
                              > pic file of the same name as the character. Maybe I should create a
                              > Portraits directory - I don't want it to get out of hand space-wise,
                              > so keep the pics small and smallish in number.

                              That would be my CSS character sheet. It takes any 178*178 pixel image
                              named character_name.jpg .

                              I think a portraits directory is a bad idea.

                              images eat space real fast.

                              People should provide their own images off of their own hard drives
                              for their characters. That shouldn't be your service. Besides most of
                              them are likley to be copyright violations (unless they draw them
                              themselves like I do) and you don't need to put yourself in that kind
                              of risky water.

                              As for your icon. I'm a graphic designer and could play around a bit.
                              But 8*8 pixel space isn't much. :)
                            • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                pics would definitly be interesting... but should be a locally generated
                                file. Could you provide an empty file, or place holders? that way the pc
                                files would look for a pic, find an emply placeholder, and not error unless
                                there was a pic.

                                Ernie Moulton
                                E-Mail Administrator **
                                ACS / HQ USAREC
                                502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994
                                mailto:moulton@...

                                For those reading this list who are good at graphics, how about a
                                couple of suggestions:
                                1. if you don't like my PC icon (blue field with yellow PC letters),
                                can you do any better in an 8x8 pixel icon?
                                2. Maybe you'd be interested in creating character portraits - I
                                think at least one charactersheet that's been uploaded refers to a
                                pic file of the same name as the character. Maybe I should create a
                                Portraits directory - I don't want it to get out of hand space-wise,
                                so keep the pics small and smallish in number.

                                -Bryan

                                --- In pcgen@y..., "Edward Downard" <edownard@e...> wrote:
                                > awesome!
                                >
                                > when it comes to programming stuff...i am no good. graphics
                                man..that is my
                                > bag
                                >
                                > Edward Downard
                                > Digital Media Designer
                                > http://home.earthlink.net/~edownard

                              • Robert Hilson
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                  i have a plain old geocities site through yahoo and ill host pics. anyone know
                                  wther we could use the pics off woc sebsite? let me know ill edit my website
                                  and then wait for pics to put up

                                  =====
                                  Robert Hilson
                                  http://www.bepaid.com/users.rhtml?REFID=11428864