GenCon '03 report

  • merton_monk
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 29, 2003
      short version: GenCon was fun!

      long version: It was great to meet a lot of you - having a steady
      stream of people come by our booth (I was there most of the time) and
      saying nice things about PCGen was very appreciated. :) I talked to
      a lot of gamers, and I even got to play in one game, and all of them
      had heard of PCGen, and most had either used it in the past or were
      currently using it. Even though I started PCGen and continue to be a
      significant contributor to it code-wise, I hardly feel right in
      taking all the credit for what this has become. A lot of people have
      chipped in code, data, documentation, bug reports, feature requests,
      organizational skills, responded to questions here, etc. etc. etc.
      There are a lot of things that make this group tick, and a lot of
      people have filled those important tasks. I expect myself to put
      huge amounts of time into this project, and I continue to be
      surprised and pleased at how many other people put their time and
      effort into it as well. It will be interesting to see how things
      continue to evolve - what version will we be on at GenCon '04? :) We
      went from version 3.0 before last GenCon to 5.2 (production) for this
      one. I suppose that means we'll be on version 7.4 next year! :D

      Bryan McRoberts
      Benevolent Dictator of PCGen
    • Michael Tucker
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 29, 2003
        On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 12:27 PM, merton_monk wrote:

        > short version: GenCon was fun!
        >
        > Bryan McRoberts
        > Benevolent Dictator of PCGen

        Welcome home, Bryan! Glad you had fun. Wish I could have gone; maybe
        next year my work and money situation will be more conducive to
        attending.

        Good luck wading through the email. :-P

        Java Kensai (Michael)
      • Keith Davies
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 29, 2003
          On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 12:34:14PM -0500, Michael Tucker wrote:

          > On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 12:27 PM, merton_monk wrote:
          >
          > > short version: GenCon was fun!
          > >
          > > Bryan McRoberts
          > > Benevolent Dictator of PCGen
          > >

          > Welcome home, Bryan! Glad you had fun. Wish I could have gone; maybe
          > next year my work and money situation will be more conducive to
          > attending.

          If you do, best start training now. There's been mention of creating a
          new class of monkey: Survivor Monkey. Prereqs: Attend, and walk away
          from, a CMP party.

          The wreckage was impressive. Eh, Karianna?

          Keith
          --
          Keith Davies
          keith.davies@...

          PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass
        • Rob Hines Jr.
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 29, 2003
            I s'pose I shoulda come by and said hi, but what do you say to people you
            don't know :)

            As an aside, I highly recommend BD's giant game, it wass a scream. Just
            ask the guy who got swallowed whole by the bear and then cast enlarge on
            himself.

            Hee.

            On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Keith Davies wrote:

            On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 12:34:14PM -0500, Michael Tucker wrote:

            > On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 12:27 PM, merton_monk wrote:
            >
            > > short version: GenCon was fun!
            > >
            > > Bryan McRoberts
            > > Benevolent Dictator of PCGen
            > >

            > Welcome home, Bryan! Glad you had fun. Wish I could have gone; maybe
            > next year my work and money situation will be more conducive to
            > attending.

            If you do, best start training now. There's been mention of creating a
            new class of monkey: Survivor Monkey. Prereqs: Attend, and walk away
            from, a CMP party.

            The wreckage was impressive. Eh, Karianna?

            Keith
            --
            Keith Davies
            keith.davies@...

            PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            click here
            [rand=641191748]

            Rob

            ----
            Rob Hines Jr.
            Systems Administrator

            (http://www.geekcode.com)
          • Drew Bernat
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 29, 2003
              On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Rob Hines Jr. wrote:

              > As an aside, I highly recommend BD's giant game, it wass a scream. Just
              > ask the guy who got swallowed whole by the bear and then cast enlarge on
              > himself.

              "Tastes great!" "More filling!" "Tastes great!" "More filling!"

              Drew

              --
              Drew Bernat __ ____
              abernat@... | | |
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 30, 2003
                <snip>
                On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 12:34:14PM -0500, Michael Tucker wrote:

                > On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 12:27 PM, merton_monk wrote:
                >
                > > short version: GenCon was fun!
                > >
                > > Bryan McRoberts
                > > Benevolent Dictator of PCGen
                > >

                > Welcome home, Bryan! Glad you had fun. Wish I could have gone; maybe
                > next year my work and money situation will be more conducive to
                > attending.

                If you do, best start training now. There's been mention of creating
                new class of monkey: Survivor Monkey. Prereqs: Attend, and walk away
                from, a CMP party.

                The wreckage was impressive. Eh, Karianna?
                </snip>

                Woohoo! New tag for me, I survived till the end of the party unlike
                some loser monkies *cough* Keith *cough* that left early.

                Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
                PCGen OGL Gibbon / Uber Survivor Monkey
                ICQ: 14397299
                AO: Nylan
                Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

                "The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race
                to keep all it's eggs in." - Robert Heinlein
              • Jessica Whiting
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 30, 2003
                  Ah yes...but did you survive to the end of the party AND survive the
                  attentions of drunk guests. One particular guest publisher apparently
                  really liked my eyes and followed me around much of the night!

                  Jessica
                  The Great Invisible Art Gopher
                  -Pay no attention to the gopher behind the curtain-

                  On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 09:09 AM, Paul Grosse wrote:

                  > If you do, best start training now.  There's been mention of creating
                  > new class of monkey: Survivor Monkey.  Prereqs: Attend, and walk away
                  > from, a CMP party.
                  >
                  > The wreckage was impressive.  Eh, Karianna?
                  > </snip>
                  >
                  > Woohoo! New tag for me, I survived till the end of the party unlike
                  > some loser monkies *cough* Keith *cough* that left early.
                • Charbeneau, Chuck
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 30, 2003
                    > From: Jessica Whiting [mailto:gaeliceyes@...]
                    > Subject: Re: [pcgen] Re: GenCon '03 report

                    > Ah yes...but did you survive to the end of the party AND survive the
                    > attentions of drunk guests.

                    Yes. I'm still uncomfortable by the memories, hazy and beer/whiskey stained
                    as they may be.

                    > One particular guest publisher apparently
                    > really liked my eyes and followed me around much of the night!

                    At least it was just your eyes. *whimper*

                    C-.

                    **********************
                    ** LEGAL DISCLAIMER **
                    **********************

                    This E-mail message and any attachments may contain
                    legally privileged, confidential or proprietary
                    information. If you are not the intended recipient(s),
                    or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of
                    this message to the intended recipient(s), you are
                    hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution
                    or copying of this E-mail message is strictly
                    prohibited. If you have received this message in
                    error, please immediately notify the sender and
                    delete this E-mail message from your computer.
                  • Keith Davies
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 30, 2003
                      On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 08:09:46AM -0500, Paul Grosse wrote:
                      > Keith wrote
                      >
                      > > If you do, best start training now. There's been mention of
                      > > creating a new class of monkey: Survivor Monkey. Prereqs: Attend,
                      > > and walk away from, a CMP party.
                      >
                      > > The wreckage was impressive. Eh, Karianna?
                      >
                      > Woohoo! New tag for me, I survived till the end of the party unlike
                      > some loser monkies *cough* Keith *cough* that left early.

                      right. I left when they were pulling the beds out and Mynex and Tir sat
                      down to finish preparing for the presentation that started about three
                      and a bit hours later.

                      Left early, uh huh.

                      Keith
                      --
                      Keith Davies
                      keith.davies@...

                      PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass
                    • Cameron Guill
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 30, 2003
                        Sorry I missed the party. I didn't find the CMP booth until Saturday
                        after the Dragonlance game I played. Having never been to GenCon
                        before, I was more than a little overwhelmed. I thought DragonCon was
                        bad.

                        Bryan, let me know how you like "Blood and Honor".

                        Cameron Guill (Arnix)

                        Alea Publishing Group

                        AleaPublishing.com

                        cguill@...

                        On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 08:09:46AM -0500, Paul Grosse wrote:
                        > Keith wrote
                        >
                        > > If you do, best start training now. There's been mention of
                        > > creating a new class of monkey: Survivor Monkey. Prereqs: Attend,
                        > > and walk away from, a CMP party.
                        >
                        > > The wreckage was impressive. Eh, Karianna?
                        >
                        > Woohoo! New tag for me, I survived till the end of the party unlike
                        > some loser monkies *cough* Keith *cough* that left early.

                        right. I left when they were pulling the beds out and Mynex and Tir sat
                        down to finish preparing for the presentation that started about three
                        and a bit hours later.

                        Left early, uh huh.

                        Keith
                        --
                        Keith Davies
                        keith.davies@...

                        PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                        016061:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http:/hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit
                        ?page=1374-105951838331032> click here

                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egrou
                        pmail/S=:HM/A=1695348/rand=587085807>

                      • merton_monk
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 30, 2003
                          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Cameron Guill" <cguill@h...> wrote:
                          > Sorry I missed the party. I didn't find the CMP booth until
                          Saturday
                          > after the Dragonlance game I played. Having never been to GenCon
                          > before, I was more than a little overwhelmed. I thought DragonCon
                          was
                          > bad.

                          I didn't get to bed until 5am and was up at 6:30am to start getting
                          ready for the demo at 8am. Since I don't drink I had the advantage
                          of retaining most of my faculties, which was good because I had to
                          give an off-the-cuff history of PCGen/CMP/E-Tools while we got the
                          room ready because security didn't open the doors until 8:15!

                          > Bryan, let me know how you like "Blood and Honor".

                          I was very surprised and pleased when you dropped that off. Thanks! I
                          had to fend off all the other monkeys to make sure I maintained
                          possession of it. I'm just feeling today like I've recovered, so
                          this is high on my list of things to check out. The CD looks
                          awesome! That and I'm having a jousting tournament in my d&d game
                          this weekend, so the timing is good. :)

                          -Bryan
                        • Keith Davies
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 30, 2003
                            On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 05:27:31PM +0000, merton_monk wrote:
                            > short version: GenCon was fun!
                            >
                            > long version: It was great to meet a lot of you - having a steady
                            > stream of people come by our booth (I was there most of the time) and
                            > saying nice things about PCGen was very appreciated. :) I talked to a
                            > lot of gamers, and I even got to play in one game, and all of them had
                            > heard of PCGen, and most had either used it in the past or were
                            > currently using it. Even though I started PCGen and continue to be a
                            > significant contributor to it code-wise, I hardly feel right in taking
                            > all the credit for what this has become. A lot of people have chipped
                            > in code, data, documentation, bug reports, feature requests,
                            > organizational skills, responded to questions here, etc. etc. etc.
                            > There are a lot of things that make this group tick, and a lot of
                            > people have filled those important tasks. I expect myself to put huge
                            > amounts of time into this project, and I continue to be surprised and
                            > pleased at how many other people put their time and effort into it as
                            > well. It will be interesting to see how things continue to evolve -
                            > what version will we be on at GenCon '04? :) We went from version 3.0
                            > before last GenCon to 5.2 (production) for this one. I suppose that
                            > means we'll be on version 7.4 next year! :D

                            Two other things that Bryan didn't mention:

                            I'm told that, despite being one fo the smallest companies exhibiting
                            this year, CMP had the *third-highest* number of exhibitor badges.
                            Upper Deck and *one* other company had more... and that one apparently
                            *wasn't* Wizards or White Wolf.

                            Also, it seems we set a new Con record. Literally, in this case. For
                            those who weren't able to find BD (I was one of them), it appears that
                            there *was* a time and place it was easy to find him. For somewhat over
                            three hours, I'm told. Any have more information about this?

                            Keith
                            --
                            Keith Davies
                            keith.davies@...

                            PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass
                          • Cameron Guill
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 30, 2003
                              Given my lack of GenCon xp, I still have several full copies and like 15
                              or so preview CD's left. If you need a couple of copies for reviewers
                              or lst folks let me know. I'm sure I can talk my partners into coming
                              off some of the extra stuff.

                              RPGNow should have our stuff up pretty soon as well.

                              Cameron Guill (Arnix)

                              Alea Publishing Group

                              AleaPublishing.com

                              cguill@...

                              > Sorry I missed the party. I didn't find the CMP booth until
                              Saturday
                              > after the Dragonlance game I played. Having never been to GenCon
                              > before, I was more than a little overwhelmed. I thought DragonCon
                              was
                              > bad.

                              I didn't get to bed until 5am and was up at 6:30am to start getting
                              ready for the demo at 8am. Since I don't drink I had the advantage
                              of retaining most of my faculties, which was good because I had to
                              give an off-the-cuff history of PCGen/CMP/E-Tools while we got the
                              room ready because security didn't open the doors until 8:15!

                              > Bryan, let me know how you like "Blood and Honor".

                              I was very surprised and pleased when you dropped that off. Thanks! I
                              had to fend off all the other monkeys to make sure I maintained
                              possession of it. I'm just feeling today like I've recovered, so
                              this is high on my list of things to check out. The CD looks
                              awesome! That and I'm having a jousting tournament in my d&d game
                              this weekend, so the timing is good. :)

                              -Bryan

                            • Mynex
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 30, 2003
                                As Bryan said, thanks to all that came by the booth. There was much
                                coolness all weekend long (although it felt more like 2 weeks!).

                                Out of actual publishers, only WotC had more volunteers... And if you
                                count the volunteers that were there for only the publishing side (No
                                Magic or mini's stuff) they weren't even close. We had a total of 23
                                volunteers... THANK YOU!!!!

                                As for the record.. Yea, BD broke the new Klingon Jail record at 270
                                minutes. Between us putting him in and him getting himself out the
                                Klingons managed to hit 2k$ for their charity (Which was to supply
                                computers for low income schools, very cool!)... He avoided incarcation
                                all weekend, finally on Sunday the Klingon, Romulan, and Human *cough*
                                ladies, tracked him down across the street getting food. Thanks John
                                for being a Traitor!!! *HUGE Grin*

                                There's actually some pictures on CMP's site that the Romulan posted and
                                a couple others posted by Paul King as well about the CMP party and
                                ennies he was at. :)

                                But I think everyone should ask how BD's 'Manliness' went with regards
                                to trying to hook up with Karianna *evil grin*

                                W. Robert Reed III
                                Mynex
                                - #1 Evil Monkey
                                - Code Monkey Publishing Co-Founder
                                - El Mono Calvo Malvado

                              • Paul W. King
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 31, 2003
                                  > There's actually some pictures on CMP's site that the Romulan
                                  > posted anda couple others posted by Paul King as well about the CMP
                                  > party and ennies he was at. :)

                                  Romulan thread: http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/modules.php?
                                  op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1506
                                  My thread: http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/modules.php?
                                  op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1503

                                  Paul W. King
                                  OGL/PL SB and BoD
                                • John Sussenberger
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 31, 2003
                                    Yup, I had a small hand in making sure he was tracked down successfully on Sunday. He spent about an hour in the Klingon Jail before he bailed himself out with his own money. There should be some nice pictures in my work e-mail when I get back next week. I'll upload them here when I get a chance.

                                    I think next year we should have a reimburse BD fund.

                                    -John-

                                    Keith Davies <keith.davies@...> wrote:
                                    Two other things that Bryan didn't mention:

                                    I'm told that, despite being one fo the smallest companies exhibiting
                                    this year, CMP had the *third-highest* number of exhibitor badges.
                                    Upper Deck and *one* other company had more... and that one apparently
                                    *wasn't* Wizards or White Wolf.

                                    Also, it seems we set a new Con record. Literally, in this case. For
                                    those who weren't able to find BD (I was one of them), it appears that
                                    there *was* a time and place it was easy to find him. For somewhat over
                                    three hours, I'm told. Any have more information about this?

                                    Keith
                                    --
                                    Keith Davies
                                    keith.davies@...

                                    PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass

                                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 31, 2003
                                      Hi all,

                                      >>If you do, best start training now. There's been mention of creating
                                      >>a new class of monkey: Survivor Monkey. Prereqs: Attend, and walk away
                                      >>from, a CMP party.

                                      >>The wreckage was impressive. Eh, Karianna?

                                      It was a _very_ good party <grin>, but I must say, most Americans can't hold
                                      their liquor ;p

                                      Karianna

                                      TM SB

                                    • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 31, 2003
                                        Hi all,

                                        >>As Bryan said, thanks to all that came by the booth. There was much
                                        >>coolness all weekend long (although it felt more like 2 weeks!).

                                        Hear hear!! It was most fun and entertaining to meet you all 8-)

                                        >>Out of actual publishers, only WotC had more volunteers... And if you
                                        >>count the volunteers that were there for only the publishing side (No
                                        >>Magic or mini's stuff) they weren't even close. We had a total of 23
                                        >>volunteers... THANK YOU!!!!

                                        The tribe was huge and vicious, we scared lots of people ;p

                                        >>As for the record.. Yea, BD broke the new Klingon Jail record at 270
                                        >>minutes. Between us putting him in and him getting himself out the
                                        >>Klingons managed to hit 2k$ for their charity (Which was to supply
                                        >>computers for low income schools, very cool!)... He avoided incarcation
                                        >>all weekend, finally on Sunday the Klingon, Romulan, and Human *cough*
                                        >>ladies, tracked him down across the street getting food. Thanks John
                                        >>for being a Traitor!!! *HUGE Grin*

                                        I'd like to point out for the record that I was the #1 contributor at well
                                        over 100 minutes <takes a bow>

                                        >>There's actually some pictures on CMP's site that the Romulan posted and
                                        >>a couple others posted by Paul King as well about the CMP party and
                                        >>ennies he was at. :)

                                        >>But I think everyone should ask how BD's 'Manliness' went with regards
                                        >>to trying to hook up with Karianna *evil grin*

                                        Now, now, lets not give a away all of a girl's secrets <wags finger at
                                        Mynex> ;p

                                        Karianna

                                        TM SB

                                      • Barak
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 31, 2003
                                          Well, since I'm one of the ones that ended up nipping out of that flask
                                          of yours at the end, I'll assume you aren't referring to me. :p

                                          And yes, there were several that were prime examples of a lack of
                                          ability to hold their liquor.

                                          Barak
                                          ~PCGen BoD
                                          ~OS Silverback

                                        • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 31, 2003
                                            For those who care, the top 5 drinkers (who were drinking from the ever full
                                            hip flask @ 4am) were:

                                            Karianna

                                            Barak

                                            Chuck

                                            Art Gopher

                                            Mynex's #1 Evil Minion aka Nicole

                                            <evil grin>

                                            TM SB

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Aug 1 7:39 AM
                                              > From: Martijn Verburg (DSLWN) [mailto:MartijnV@...]
                                              > Subject: RE: [pcgen] Re: GenCon '03 report

                                              > For those who care, the top 5 drinkers (who were drinking
                                              > from the ever full hip flask @ 4am) were:

                                              > Karianna
                                              >
                                              > Barak
                                              >
                                              > Chuck

                                              I'm a mick, and there was whiskey and Guinness, what was I supposed to do,
                                              _abstain_ ?!? It all started when the X-Crawl fella (Brandon) convinced me
                                              to put down my second Guinness and start doing shots of Jack. *sigh* And
                                              much fun was had by all.

                                              *snort*

                                              There was very little backlash from the outraged drunken email I sent from
                                              the floor in the suite after having to log in and remote-bounce a server at
                                              1am (or so) _after_ the fun had begun.

                                              C-.

                                              ** LEGAL DISCLAIMER **