Magic Item Bonus Types

  • Mark Hulsman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2001
      I have begun working on having magic items with the same types not
      stack with each other. The code to actually keep these from stacking
      will be fairly large and I'll get it done as soon as possible, but I
      have already added code to let you define the bonus type for any
      item. So if you want to go ahead and get started on adding this to
      the lst files (since there is a lot that need types) you can add them
      with the BONUSTYPE: tag. For Standardization I guess just go ahead
      and capitalize the word normally, but not in all caps, like Armor,
      Sheild, Enhancement, Dodge, and so on. For armor and sheilds you do
      not need to put a BONUSTYPE tag unless it has a type in addition to
      Armor or Sheild because the code I added will already recognize that
      armor and sheilds give Armor or Sheild bonuses and add those
      automatically.

      Warning, you can start updating the lst files to work with this, but
      do not use these lst files until the next version is released because
      it will incorrectly think they are BONUS tags and who knows what kind
      of error will occur. I'm not sure when these changes will be added
      since I jsut joined sourceforge yesterday, but they will get there as
      soon as possible.
    • Lonestar
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30, 2001
        MH> Warning, you can start updating the lst files to work with this, but
        MH> do not use these lst files until the next version is released because
        MH> it will incorrectly think they are BONUS tags and who knows what kind
        MH> of error will occur. I'm not sure when these changes will be added
        MH> since I jsut joined sourceforge yesterday, but they will get there as
        MH> soon as possible.

        hmmm, maybe the bonustype should be part of the BONUS tag. that way
        you could assign different types of bonuses to an item.

        I see 2 problems for bonus management:
        1) Circumstance bonuses do stack unless they arise from essentially
        the same circumstance. What should be the default for those? To
        stack or not to stack...? ;)
        2) There might be bonuses with the same name, but affecting different
        stats (see DMG, p177, Table 8-1

        Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
      • mocha@mcs.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 30, 2001
          I haven't seen how Mark was going to handle it, but in my write-up of
          it, I suggested a file be created in the systems directory where
          stacking bonus types could be listed. Any bonus of a name not in
          there would not stack.

          You don't worry about stacking for bonuses that affect different
          things - an enchantment bonus on STR has nothing to do with an
          enchantment bonus on INT.

          -Bryan

          --- In pcgen@y..., Lonestar <Lonestar@l...> wrote:
          > MH> Warning, you can start updating the lst files to work with this, but
          > MH> do not use these lst files until the next version is released
          because
          > MH> it will incorrectly think they are BONUS tags and who knows what
          kind
          > MH> of error will occur. I'm not sure when these changes will be added
          > MH> since I jsut joined sourceforge yesterday, but they will get
          there as
          > MH> soon as possible.
          >
          > hmmm, maybe the bonustype should be part of the BONUS tag. that way
          > you could assign different types of bonuses to an item.
          >
          > I see 2 problems for bonus management:
          > 1) Circumstance bonuses do stack unless they arise from essentially
          > the same circumstance. What should be the default for those? To
          > stack or not to stack...? ;)
          > 2) There might be bonuses with the same name, but affecting different
          > stats (see DMG, p177, Table 8-1
          >
          > Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@l...
        • Mark Hulsman
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 30, 2001
            --- In pcgen@y..., Lonestar <Lonestar@l...> wrote:
            > MH> Warning, you can start updating the lst files to work with
            this, but
            > MH> do not use these lst files until the next version is released
            because
            > MH> it will incorrectly think they are BONUS tags and who knows
            what kind
            > MH> of error will occur. I'm not sure when these changes will be
            added
            > MH> since I jsut joined sourceforge yesterday, but they will get
            there as
            > MH> soon as possible.

            > hmmm, maybe the bonustype should be part of the BONUS tag. that way
            > you could assign different types of bonuses to an item.

            I'm not sure if thats how it should be done, but I have set it up to
            allow multiple Bonus Tyoes for one item by putting Type1.Type2.etc

            > I see 2 problems for bonus management:
            > 1) Circumstance bonuses do stack unless they arise from essentially
            > the same circumstance. What should be the default for those? To
            > stack or not to stack...? ;)

            Well, circumstance bonuses really only occur in roleplaying
            situations so we don't really have to worry about them.

            > 2) There might be bonuses with the same name, but affecting
            different
            > stats (see DMG, p177, Table 8-1

            This will be taken care of. You can have an enhancement bonus to
            every stat if you want, but when you add a second one to one stat is
            when this code I'm working on will kick in and make them not stack.
            Basically I'll add all of the modifiers to each object up all at the
            same time, this could be str or dex or attack or AC. They way I
            think I'll be doing it is make a list of everything that adds to each
            thing and if any of them are named and have the same name that does
            not stack I will not add the lesser bonus. Still not sure exactly
            how this will be acomplished because I am still famialiarizing myself
            with the code that does this stuff, but I am pretty sure I will use
            the BONUSTYPE tag since each item only has one type (if someone can
            think of an item that has different types for different powers let me
            know, then I might have to rethink this, but for now this seems the
            simplest and best way).
          • Lonestar
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2001
              >> I see 2 problems for bonus management:
              >> 1) Circumstance bonuses do stack unless they arise from essentially
              >> the same circumstance. What should be the default for those? To
              >> stack or not to stack...? ;)

              MH> Well, circumstance bonuses really only occur in roleplaying
              MH> situations so we don't really have to worry about them.

              DMG p225, Robe of Blending: gives you a +15 circumstance bonus on
              Hiding. Works always (when equipped), not only in roleplaying
              situations....I also think of other items like Robe and Boots of
              Elvenkind....afaik they also give circumstance bonuses

              >> 2) There might be bonuses with the same name, but affecting
              MH> different
              >> stats (see DMG, p177, Table 8-1

              MH> with the code that does this stuff, but I am pretty sure I will use
              MH> the BONUSTYPE tag since each item only has one type (if someone can
              MH> think of an item that has different types for different powers let me
              MH> know, then I might have to rethink this, but for now this seems the
              MH> simplest and best way).

              I know at least one item that gives different bonus types:
              DMG p210, Belt of Dwarvenkind:
              competence +4 on Charisma-based skillchecks
              enhancement +2 constitution
              resistance +2 against poison, spells and spell-like effects
              ok, the latter 2 are for non-dwarves only, but race or class-dependent
              bonuses should be possible, too.
              maybe with the possibility to have them appear in the special
              abilities section of the char sheet...

              Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
            • Gary
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 2, 2001
                Also, for custom items that people create. Like recreating the old
                rings of protection to give deflection bonus and saving throw bonus in
                the same item.