[pcgen] Feature request

  • Nigel Bennington
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
      Sword and Fist introduces the concept of the virtual feat, this is a special
      ability that, although not providing identical behaviour to a feat, is
      treated as if the character had the feat for all purposes, including
      pre-rquisites. The character is also assumed to have all pre-requisites of
      the feat for which the SA is a virtual, as far as prerequisites are
      concerned (although he does not gain the game benefits).

      Can we add a SA tag to indicate that a particular special ability is a
      virtual feat, and if so which feat it is? e.g.:

      SA:Flange Ability|VF|Spring Attack|Mobility|Dodge

      Cheers,

      Nigel.
    • mocha@mcs.net
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
        That makes sense. I would probably do it more along the lines of
        PREITEM:1|Shield, large, wooden, masterwork|Shield, large, metal,
        masterwork|Shield, tower, masterwork
        From this I assume that the cavalier must have a large masterwork
        shield of some sort? So perhaps something along the lines of
        PREITEM:1|Shield, large%masterwork
        would be better at handling any possible permuatations?

        -Bryan

        --- In pcgen@y..., "Nigel Bennington" <nigel@i...> wrote:
        > Further thought
        >
        > could the PREITEM work as choose any n from a | delimited list
        (many items
        > have commas in the names), as this is needed for Cavalier, e.g.:
        >
        > PREITEM:1,Shield, large, wooden, masterwork|Shield, large, metal,
        > masterwork|Shield, tower, masterwork
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Nigel.

        Hopefully

      • mocha@mcs.net
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
          In the Features Requests.txt file, Dave has an item about adding
          VFEAT: to classes, which can be used as pre-requisites for other
          feats.

        • mocha@mcs.net
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
            I'm not entirely certain what's missing as I hadn't looked too
            carefully at all what Star Wars Gamer had in it. Robert said that
            there were a few prestige classes and some skills. Hopefully he can
            clear that up for us. So I'm not entirely certain what I'm talking
            about either - but I'm used to that! ;)

            -Bryan

            --- In pcgen@y..., "David Cortijo" <dcortijo@i...> wrote:
            > I hate to say this in the way I'm about to say it, but I HAVE NO
            IDEA WHAT THE $&%@)%&*!*&$(!&% any of you are talking about. I just
            downloaded the lastest realse of PCgen, overwrote all the files in my
            directory, and everything is working fine. I get all the Prestige
            Classes, all the Star Wars Gamer races, and all the class skills
            working properly. Check it out for yourselves - the data is in there.

          • mocha@mcs.net
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
              All the examples of max rank I've seen for cross-class use integers,
              but you're probably right - there's no reason it has to be an
              integer. I suspect what I'm doing is quartering the max rank for
              class skills by dividing in half in two different places. I'll verify
              that and fix it for my next release.

            • Nigel Bennington
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                Kewel

                In the Features Requests.txt file, Dave has an item about adding
                VFEAT: to classes, which can be used as pre-requisites for other
                feats.

                -Bryan

                --- In pcgen@y..., "Nigel Bennington" <nigel@i...> wrote:
                > Sword and Fist introduces the concept of the virtual feat, this is
                a special
                > ability that, although not providing identical behaviour to a feat,
                is
                > treated as if the character had the feat for all purposes, including
                > pre-rquisites. The character is also assumed to have all pre-
                requisites of
                > the feat for which the SA is a virtual, as far as prerequisites are
                > concerned (although he does not gain the game benefits).
                >
                > Can we add a SA tag to indicate that a particular special ability
                is a
                > virtual feat, and if so which feat it is? e.g.:
                >
                > SA:Flange Ability|VF|Spring Attack|Mobility|Dodge
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Nigel.

              • Rich Allen
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                  Actually, virtual feats have been around since the 3E players handbook!
                  Rangers do NOT get the Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon feats free, they act as
                  if they had those feats when wearing light or no armor though. It also
                  works the same way as mentioned below, in that it acts as a prerequisite for
                  selecting other feats. How is this treated in PCGen now?

                  Rich

                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                    It's not handled currently - not completely anyway. PCGen does not
                    recognize these feats for the Ranger in terms of qualifying for other
                    feats, but it does recognize them if the ranger is wearing light or
                    no armor in terms of displaying your to-hit bonus on the character
                    sheet. The VFEAT: tag will allow PCGen to handle the feats in terms
                    of pre-requisites for other feats.

                    -Bryan

                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                      This raises a interesting point, do we need to be able to specify the
                      prereqs that enable a VFEAT?

                      For instance, if we set up the ranger with

                      VFEAT:Ambidexterity,Two Weapon Fighting

                      Then this will affect his weapon TOHIT scores, if he then equips Chainmail
                      armour, the VFEAT should be disabled, and the two-weapon penalties come in
                      on his TOHIT.

                      This is the sort of thing that we ought to take into account, so how about
                      allowing us to state pre-requisites for when the VFEAT is active?

                      Nigel.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                        True - currently I have the Ranger's pre-reqs hard-coded.
                        Maybe something like
                        VFEAT:Two-Weapon Fighting|Amibidexterity|Load=Light,Armor=NoneLight
                        where all the items before the last | are feats that are only valid
                        if the requirements after the last | are met.
                        If a class has more than one VFEAT that meet different criteria,
                        they'd need multiple VFEAT tags.

                        I suppose a VFEAT that had no restrictions might as well be added to
                        the FEAT: tag, right? Why would it be a virtual feat if there are no
                        strings attached?

                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                          It would still be a VFEAT if the FEAT it echoes has pre-requisites, since
                          the character is deemed to have all the pre-requisites of the VFEAT, for
                          purposes of them being pre-requisites of other feats, but does not get the
                          game benefits of them.

                          Nigel.

                          True - currently I have the Ranger's pre-reqs hard-coded.
                          Maybe something like
                          VFEAT:Two-Weapon Fighting|Amibidexterity|Load=Light,Armor=NoneLight
                          where all the items before the last | are feats that are only valid
                          if the requirements after the last | are met.
                          If a class has more than one VFEAT that meet different criteria,
                          they'd need multiple VFEAT tags.

                          I suppose a VFEAT that had no restrictions might as well be added to
                          the FEAT: tag, right? Why would it be a virtual feat if there are no
                          strings attached?

                          -Bryan

                          --- In pcgen@y..., "Nigel Bennington" <nigel@i...> wrote:
                          > This raises a interesting point, do we need to be able to specify
                          the
                          > prereqs that enable a VFEAT?
                          >
                          > For instance, if we set up the ranger with
                          >
                          > VFEAT:Ambidexterity,Two Weapon Fighting
                          >
                          > Then this will affect his weapon TOHIT scores, if he then equips
                          Chainmail
                          > armour, the VFEAT should be disabled, and the two-weapon penalties
                          come in
                          > on his TOHIT.
                          >
                          > This is the sort of thing that we ought to take into account, so
                          how about
                          > allowing us to state pre-requisites for when the VFEAT is active?
                          >
                          > Nigel.

                        • Edward Downard
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                            awesome!

                            when it comes to programming stuff...i am no good. graphics man..that is my
                            bag

                            Edward Downard
                            Digital Media Designer
                            http://home.earthlink.net/~edownard

                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                              Well, graphics are definitely NOT mine.
                              For those reading this list who are good at graphics, how about a
                              couple of suggestions:
                              1. if you don't like my PC icon (blue field with yellow PC letters),
                              can you do any better in an 8x8 pixel icon?
                              2. Maybe you'd be interested in creating character portraits - I
                              think at least one charactersheet that's been uploaded refers to a
                              pic file of the same name as the character. Maybe I should create a
                              Portraits directory - I don't want it to get out of hand space-wise,
                              so keep the pics small and smallish in number.

                              -Bryan

                            • arcady0@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                > 2. Maybe you'd be interested in creating character portraits - I
                                > think at least one charactersheet that's been uploaded refers to a
                                > pic file of the same name as the character. Maybe I should create a
                                > Portraits directory - I don't want it to get out of hand space-wise,
                                > so keep the pics small and smallish in number.

                                That would be my CSS character sheet. It takes any 178*178 pixel image
                                named character_name.jpg .

                                I think a portraits directory is a bad idea.

                                images eat space real fast.

                                People should provide their own images off of their own hard drives
                                for their characters. That shouldn't be your service. Besides most of
                                them are likley to be copyright violations (unless they draw them
                                themselves like I do) and you don't need to put yourself in that kind
                                of risky water.

                                As for your icon. I'm a graphic designer and could play around a bit.
                                But 8*8 pixel space isn't much. :)
                              • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                  pics would definitly be interesting... but should be a locally generated
                                  file. Could you provide an empty file, or place holders? that way the pc
                                  files would look for a pic, find an emply placeholder, and not error unless
                                  there was a pic.

                                  Ernie Moulton
                                  E-Mail Administrator **
                                  ACS / HQ USAREC
                                  502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994
                                  mailto:moulton@...

                                  For those reading this list who are good at graphics, how about a
                                  couple of suggestions:
                                  1. if you don't like my PC icon (blue field with yellow PC letters),
                                  can you do any better in an 8x8 pixel icon?
                                  2. Maybe you'd be interested in creating character portraits - I
                                  think at least one charactersheet that's been uploaded refers to a
                                  pic file of the same name as the character. Maybe I should create a
                                  Portraits directory - I don't want it to get out of hand space-wise,
                                  so keep the pics small and smallish in number.

                                  -Bryan

                                  --- In pcgen@y..., "Edward Downard" <edownard@e...> wrote:
                                  > awesome!
                                  >
                                  > when it comes to programming stuff...i am no good. graphics
                                  man..that is my
                                  > bag
                                  >
                                  > Edward Downard
                                  > Digital Media Designer
                                  > http://home.earthlink.net/~edownard

                                • Robert Hilson
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                    i have a plain old geocities site through yahoo and ill host pics. anyone know
                                    wther we could use the pics off woc sebsite? let me know ill edit my website
                                    and then wait for pics to put up

                                    =====
                                    Robert Hilson
                                    http://www.bepaid.com/users.rhtml?REFID=11428864