Speak Languages -- possible bug.

  • pat512@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2001
      In 2.0.2b.

      I've got a .pcc file with a Language list which includes some PHB languages and some new ones. It also loads a race file with various LANGAUTO and LANGBONUS entries, which correspond to the LANGUAGE list in the .pcc. Loading only that campaign, I find that automatic and bonus languages seem to work properly, but when I try to give a character a new language via the Speak Language skill, the only options seem to be those that are standard PHB languages that are also in the .pcc list.

      Confirm?

      Thanks,
      Pat
    • Mark Hulsman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2001
        > I've got a .pcc file with a Language list which includes some PHB
        languages and some new ones. It also loads a race file with various
        LANGAUTO and LANGBONUS entries, which correspond to the LANGUAGE list
        in the .pcc. Loading only that campaign, I find that automatic and
        bonus languages seem to work properly, but when I try to give a
        character a new language via the Speak Language skill, the only
        options seem to be those that are standard PHB languages that are
        also in the .pcc list.

        This is not a bug, you just need to change the list of languages in
        the skill.lst file. Under the skill listing for Speak Language it
        has a long list that can be chosen when someone takes this skill.
        You should just copy the list in the pcc file and paste it here.
      • pat512@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2001
          --- In pcgen@y..., "Mark Hulsman" <hulsmanm@p...> wrote:
          > This is not a bug, you just need to change the list of languages in
          > the skill.lst file. Under the skill listing for Speak Language it
          > has a long list that can be chosen when someone takes this skill.
          > You should just copy the list in the pcc file and paste it here.

          Aha! Thanks muchly.

          Pat
        • pat512@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
            --- In pcgen@y..., pat512@y... wrote:
            > --- In pcgen@y..., "Mark Hulsman" <hulsmanm@p...> wrote:
            > > This is not a bug, you just need to change the list of languages in
            > > the skill.lst file. Under the skill listing for Speak Language it
            > > has a long list that can be chosen when someone takes this skill.
            > > You should just copy the list in the pcc file and paste it here.
            >
            > Aha! Thanks muchly.
            >
            > Pat

            Following myself up:

            Perhaps this would be good to have in documentation somewhere (if it's there, I haven't seen it). Changing around the languages would seem pretty common, but it belongs in the .pcc, in the race.lst, in the skill.lst, and (for the Loremaster) in the dmgclass.lst! A lot of places to hunt down.

            Although this may all change with regional support . . .

            Thanks,
            Pat