RE: [pcgen] PCGen release 31Jan01

  • Nigel Bennington
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
      Further thought

      could the PREITEM work as choose any n from a | delimited list (many items
      have commas in the names), as this is needed for Cavalier, e.g.:

      PREITEM:1,Shield, large, wooden, masterwork|Shield, large, metal,
      masterwork|Shield, tower, masterwork

      Thanks,

      Nigel.

      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
        Sword and Fist introduces the concept of the virtual feat, this is a special
        ability that, although not providing identical behaviour to a feat, is
        treated as if the character had the feat for all purposes, including
        pre-rquisites. The character is also assumed to have all pre-requisites of
        the feat for which the SA is a virtual, as far as prerequisites are
        concerned (although he does not gain the game benefits).

        Can we add a SA tag to indicate that a particular special ability is a
        virtual feat, and if so which feat it is? e.g.:

        SA:Flange Ability|VF|Spring Attack|Mobility|Dodge

        Cheers,

        Nigel.
      • mocha@mcs.net
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
          That makes sense. I would probably do it more along the lines of
          PREITEM:1|Shield, large, wooden, masterwork|Shield, large, metal,
          masterwork|Shield, tower, masterwork
          From this I assume that the cavalier must have a large masterwork
          shield of some sort? So perhaps something along the lines of
          PREITEM:1|Shield, large%masterwork
          would be better at handling any possible permuatations?

          -Bryan

        • mocha@mcs.net
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
            In the Features Requests.txt file, Dave has an item about adding
            VFEAT: to classes, which can be used as pre-requisites for other
            feats.

          • mocha@mcs.net
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
              I'm not entirely certain what's missing as I hadn't looked too
              carefully at all what Star Wars Gamer had in it. Robert said that
              there were a few prestige classes and some skills. Hopefully he can
              clear that up for us. So I'm not entirely certain what I'm talking
              about either - but I'm used to that! ;)

              -Bryan

              --- In pcgen@y..., "David Cortijo" <dcortijo@i...> wrote:
              > I hate to say this in the way I'm about to say it, but I HAVE NO
              IDEA WHAT THE $&%@)%&*!*&$(!&% any of you are talking about. I just
              downloaded the lastest realse of PCgen, overwrote all the files in my
              directory, and everything is working fine. I get all the Prestige
              Classes, all the Star Wars Gamer races, and all the class skills
              working properly. Check it out for yourselves - the data is in there.

            • mocha@mcs.net
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                All the examples of max rank I've seen for cross-class use integers,
                but you're probably right - there's no reason it has to be an
                integer. I suspect what I'm doing is quartering the max rank for
                class skills by dividing in half in two different places. I'll verify
                that and fix it for my next release.

              • Nigel Bennington
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                  Kewel

                  In the Features Requests.txt file, Dave has an item about adding
                  VFEAT: to classes, which can be used as pre-requisites for other
                  feats.

                  -Bryan

                  --- In pcgen@y..., "Nigel Bennington" <nigel@i...> wrote:
                  > Sword and Fist introduces the concept of the virtual feat, this is
                  a special
                  > ability that, although not providing identical behaviour to a feat,
                  is
                  > treated as if the character had the feat for all purposes, including
                  > pre-rquisites. The character is also assumed to have all pre-
                  requisites of
                  > the feat for which the SA is a virtual, as far as prerequisites are
                  > concerned (although he does not gain the game benefits).
                  >
                  > Can we add a SA tag to indicate that a particular special ability
                  is a
                  > virtual feat, and if so which feat it is? e.g.:
                  >
                  > SA:Flange Ability|VF|Spring Attack|Mobility|Dodge
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Nigel.

                • Rich Allen
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                    Actually, virtual feats have been around since the 3E players handbook!
                    Rangers do NOT get the Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon feats free, they act as
                    if they had those feats when wearing light or no armor though. It also
                    works the same way as mentioned below, in that it acts as a prerequisite for
                    selecting other feats. How is this treated in PCGen now?

                    Rich

                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                      It's not handled currently - not completely anyway. PCGen does not
                      recognize these feats for the Ranger in terms of qualifying for other
                      feats, but it does recognize them if the ranger is wearing light or
                      no armor in terms of displaying your to-hit bonus on the character
                      sheet. The VFEAT: tag will allow PCGen to handle the feats in terms
                      of pre-requisites for other feats.

                      -Bryan

                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                        This raises a interesting point, do we need to be able to specify the
                        prereqs that enable a VFEAT?

                        For instance, if we set up the ranger with

                        VFEAT:Ambidexterity,Two Weapon Fighting

                        Then this will affect his weapon TOHIT scores, if he then equips Chainmail
                        armour, the VFEAT should be disabled, and the two-weapon penalties come in
                        on his TOHIT.

                        This is the sort of thing that we ought to take into account, so how about
                        allowing us to state pre-requisites for when the VFEAT is active?

                        Nigel.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                          True - currently I have the Ranger's pre-reqs hard-coded.
                          Maybe something like
                          VFEAT:Two-Weapon Fighting|Amibidexterity|Load=Light,Armor=NoneLight
                          where all the items before the last | are feats that are only valid
                          if the requirements after the last | are met.
                          If a class has more than one VFEAT that meet different criteria,
                          they'd need multiple VFEAT tags.

                          I suppose a VFEAT that had no restrictions might as well be added to
                          the FEAT: tag, right? Why would it be a virtual feat if there are no
                          strings attached?

                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                            It would still be a VFEAT if the FEAT it echoes has pre-requisites, since
                            the character is deemed to have all the pre-requisites of the VFEAT, for
                            purposes of them being pre-requisites of other feats, but does not get the
                            game benefits of them.

                            Nigel.

                            True - currently I have the Ranger's pre-reqs hard-coded.
                            Maybe something like
                            VFEAT:Two-Weapon Fighting|Amibidexterity|Load=Light,Armor=NoneLight
                            where all the items before the last | are feats that are only valid
                            if the requirements after the last | are met.
                            If a class has more than one VFEAT that meet different criteria,
                            they'd need multiple VFEAT tags.

                            I suppose a VFEAT that had no restrictions might as well be added to
                            the FEAT: tag, right? Why would it be a virtual feat if there are no
                            strings attached?

                            -Bryan

                            --- In pcgen@y..., "Nigel Bennington" <nigel@i...> wrote:
                            > This raises a interesting point, do we need to be able to specify
                            the
                            > prereqs that enable a VFEAT?
                            >
                            > For instance, if we set up the ranger with
                            >
                            > VFEAT:Ambidexterity,Two Weapon Fighting
                            >
                            > Then this will affect his weapon TOHIT scores, if he then equips
                            Chainmail
                            > armour, the VFEAT should be disabled, and the two-weapon penalties
                            come in
                            > on his TOHIT.
                            >
                            > This is the sort of thing that we ought to take into account, so
                            how about
                            > allowing us to state pre-requisites for when the VFEAT is active?
                            >
                            > Nigel.

                          • Edward Downard
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                              awesome!

                              when it comes to programming stuff...i am no good. graphics man..that is my
                              bag

                              Edward Downard
                              Digital Media Designer
                              http://home.earthlink.net/~edownard

                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                Well, graphics are definitely NOT mine.
                                For those reading this list who are good at graphics, how about a
                                couple of suggestions:
                                1. if you don't like my PC icon (blue field with yellow PC letters),
                                can you do any better in an 8x8 pixel icon?
                                2. Maybe you'd be interested in creating character portraits - I
                                think at least one charactersheet that's been uploaded refers to a
                                pic file of the same name as the character. Maybe I should create a
                                Portraits directory - I don't want it to get out of hand space-wise,
                                so keep the pics small and smallish in number.

                                -Bryan

                              • arcady0@yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                  > 2. Maybe you'd be interested in creating character portraits - I
                                  > think at least one charactersheet that's been uploaded refers to a
                                  > pic file of the same name as the character. Maybe I should create a
                                  > Portraits directory - I don't want it to get out of hand space-wise,
                                  > so keep the pics small and smallish in number.

                                  That would be my CSS character sheet. It takes any 178*178 pixel image
                                  named character_name.jpg .

                                  I think a portraits directory is a bad idea.

                                  images eat space real fast.

                                  People should provide their own images off of their own hard drives
                                  for their characters. That shouldn't be your service. Besides most of
                                  them are likley to be copyright violations (unless they draw them
                                  themselves like I do) and you don't need to put yourself in that kind
                                  of risky water.

                                  As for your icon. I'm a graphic designer and could play around a bit.
                                  But 8*8 pixel space isn't much. :)
                                • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                    pics would definitly be interesting... but should be a locally generated
                                    file. Could you provide an empty file, or place holders? that way the pc
                                    files would look for a pic, find an emply placeholder, and not error unless
                                    there was a pic.

                                    Ernie Moulton
                                    E-Mail Administrator **
                                    ACS / HQ USAREC
                                    502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994
                                    mailto:moulton@...

                                    For those reading this list who are good at graphics, how about a
                                    couple of suggestions:
                                    1. if you don't like my PC icon (blue field with yellow PC letters),
                                    can you do any better in an 8x8 pixel icon?
                                    2. Maybe you'd be interested in creating character portraits - I
                                    think at least one charactersheet that's been uploaded refers to a
                                    pic file of the same name as the character. Maybe I should create a
                                    Portraits directory - I don't want it to get out of hand space-wise,
                                    so keep the pics small and smallish in number.

                                    -Bryan

                                    --- In pcgen@y..., "Edward Downard" <edownard@e...> wrote:
                                    > awesome!
                                    >
                                    > when it comes to programming stuff...i am no good. graphics
                                    man..that is my
                                    > bag
                                    >
                                    > Edward Downard
                                    > Digital Media Designer
                                    > http://home.earthlink.net/~edownard

                                  • Robert Hilson
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                      i have a plain old geocities site through yahoo and ill host pics. anyone know
                                      wther we could use the pics off woc sebsite? let me know ill edit my website
                                      and then wait for pics to put up

                                      =====
                                      Robert Hilson
                                      http://www.bepaid.com/users.rhtml?REFID=11428864