Portraits and the unhelpful and broken help file

  • Merlisk
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20, 2003
      I'm trying to figure out how to import a portrait into my character sheet.
      It opens to the right directory but doesn't seem to find any of my pictures
      (in .jpg, .pict, .png formats.)

      So, I decided to use the help file (an novel concept, I'm sure! :)

      Anyway, only the first page of each section shows. The little + boxes don't
      expand to anything. Since PCGen uses Java, I turn that on in IE. Nope.
      That doesn't work. So...I go digging around around in the directories and
      find some good .htm files. However, the pages I looked at still don't tell
      me how to incorporate a portrait and what format it needs to be in.

      Anyone have an idea why my help isn't working? And, how do I incorporate a
      portrait? What picture format is needed?

      Thanks!

      --
      Michael W. Jones

      "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in
      human history--with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
      ----- Mitch Ratcliffe
    • Alan Kohler
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 27, 2003
        I would be interested in an answer to this too. Is the portrait
        feature implemented yet. Both toying around and searching the help
        file didn't help. Please clue me in. Thanks.

        -Alan

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Merlisk <merlisk@g...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to figure out how to import a portrait into my character
        sheet.
        > It opens to the right directory but doesn't seem to find any of my
        pictures
        > (in .jpg, .pict, .png formats.)
        >
        > So, I decided to use the help file (an novel concept, I'm sure! :)
        >
        > Anyway, only the first page of each section shows. The little +
        boxes don't
        > expand to anything. Since PCGen uses Java, I turn that on in IE. Nope.
        > That doesn't work. So...I go digging around around in the
        directories and
        > find some good .htm files. However, the pages I looked at still
        don't tell
        > me how to incorporate a portrait and what format it needs to be in.
        >
        > Anyone have an idea why my help isn't working? And, how do I
        incorporate a
        > portrait? What picture format is needed?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > --
        > Michael W. Jones
        >
        > "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in
        > human history--with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
        > ----- Mitch Ratcliffe
      • krazhit
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 27, 2003
          This part of PCGen uses a rather cumbersome GUI representatation (At
          least to a Windows guy like me).
          First with the three dots button to the right (...) select the
          directory containing the pictures (NOTE, do not browse into the
          directory, just highlight it and select "Open")
          Now with the drop down menu (down arrow), you should be able to
          select from jpeg pictures contained in the folder.

          Well at least this is how it works for me.

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Kohler" <adkohler@s...> wrote:
          > I would be interested in an answer to this too. Is the portrait
          > feature implemented yet. Both toying around and searching the help
          > file didn't help. Please clue me in. Thanks.
          >
          > -Alan
          >
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Merlisk <merlisk@g...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm trying to figure out how to import a portrait into my
          character
          > sheet.
          > > It opens to the right directory but doesn't seem to find any of my
          > pictures
          > > (in .jpg, .pict, .png formats.)
          > >
          > > So, I decided to use the help file (an novel concept, I'm
          sure! :)

          > > Anyway, only the first page of each section shows. The little +
          > boxes don't
          > > expand to anything. Since PCGen uses Java, I turn that on in
          IE. Nope.
          > > That doesn't work. So...I go digging around around in the
          > directories and
          > > find some good .htm files. However, the pages I looked at still
          > don't tell
          > > me how to incorporate a portrait and what format it needs to be
          in.

          > > Anyone have an idea why my help isn't working? And, how do I
          > incorporate a
          > > portrait? What picture format is needed?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > >
          > > --
          > > Michael W. Jones
          > >
          > > "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention
          in
          > > human history--with the possible exceptions of handguns and
          tequila."
          > > ----- Mitch Ratcliffe
        • Alan Kohler
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 29, 2003
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "krazhit" <here@h...> wrote:
            > This part of PCGen uses a rather cumbersome GUI representatation (At
            > least to a Windows guy like me).
            > First with the three dots button to the right (...) select the
            > directory containing the pictures (NOTE, do not browse into the
            > directory, just highlight it and select "Open")
            > Now with the drop down menu (down arrow), you should be able to
            > select from jpeg pictures contained in the folder.
            >
            > Well at least this is how it works for me.

            Hey it works! Cool!

            Now I can drop Jackie Chan and Vin Diesel as d20 modern in my game
            tonight, complete with portraits! ;)

            Thanks!

            -Alan