RE: [pcgen] PCGen release 31Jan01

  • Edward Downard
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
      I was curious if the sword and fist items were going to be added? not seeing
      them in this update

      Edward Downard
      Digital Media Designer
      http://home.earthlink.net/~edownard

      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
        I'm finishing them off as we speak, there were a few patches needed before
        they could be completed, but expect them to be uploaded before monday.

        Nigel.

        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
          Max skill rank is not working correctly, I am building a fighter with a view
          to taking him to Cavalier (testing Sword and Fist additions) and although it
          displays Maximum cross-class skill rank correctly, by the time he is a
          seventh level fighter (max skill rank 10, max cross-class skill rank 5) I
          can't raise cross-class skills beyond 3, when I try it displays a message,
          maximum rank at your level is 3.

          Incidentally, you shouldn't round the max cross-class to an integer, when
          max class skill is 9, max cross-class should be 4.5, not 4.

          Hope this helps.

          Nigel.

          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
            Further thought

            could the PREITEM work as choose any n from a | delimited list (many items
            have commas in the names), as this is needed for Cavalier, e.g.:

            PREITEM:1,Shield, large, wooden, masterwork|Shield, large, metal,
            masterwork|Shield, tower, masterwork

            Thanks,

            Nigel.

            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
              Sword and Fist introduces the concept of the virtual feat, this is a special
              ability that, although not providing identical behaviour to a feat, is
              treated as if the character had the feat for all purposes, including
              pre-rquisites. The character is also assumed to have all pre-requisites of
              the feat for which the SA is a virtual, as far as prerequisites are
              concerned (although he does not gain the game benefits).

              Can we add a SA tag to indicate that a particular special ability is a
              virtual feat, and if so which feat it is? e.g.:

              SA:Flange Ability|VF|Spring Attack|Mobility|Dodge

              Cheers,

              Nigel.
            • mocha@mcs.net
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                That makes sense. I would probably do it more along the lines of
                PREITEM:1|Shield, large, wooden, masterwork|Shield, large, metal,
                masterwork|Shield, tower, masterwork
                From this I assume that the cavalier must have a large masterwork
                shield of some sort? So perhaps something along the lines of
                PREITEM:1|Shield, large%masterwork
                would be better at handling any possible permuatations?

                -Bryan

              • mocha@mcs.net
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                  In the Features Requests.txt file, Dave has an item about adding
                  VFEAT: to classes, which can be used as pre-requisites for other
                  feats.

                • mocha@mcs.net
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                    I'm not entirely certain what's missing as I hadn't looked too
                    carefully at all what Star Wars Gamer had in it. Robert said that
                    there were a few prestige classes and some skills. Hopefully he can
                    clear that up for us. So I'm not entirely certain what I'm talking
                    about either - but I'm used to that! ;)

                    -Bryan

                    --- In pcgen@y..., "David Cortijo" <dcortijo@i...> wrote:
                    > I hate to say this in the way I'm about to say it, but I HAVE NO
                    IDEA WHAT THE $&%@)%&*!*&$(!&% any of you are talking about. I just
                    downloaded the lastest realse of PCgen, overwrote all the files in my
                    directory, and everything is working fine. I get all the Prestige
                    Classes, all the Star Wars Gamer races, and all the class skills
                    working properly. Check it out for yourselves - the data is in there.

                  • mocha@mcs.net
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                      All the examples of max rank I've seen for cross-class use integers,
                      but you're probably right - there's no reason it has to be an
                      integer. I suspect what I'm doing is quartering the max rank for
                      class skills by dividing in half in two different places. I'll verify
                      that and fix it for my next release.

                    • Nigel Bennington
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                        Kewel

                        In the Features Requests.txt file, Dave has an item about adding
                        VFEAT: to classes, which can be used as pre-requisites for other
                        feats.

                        -Bryan

                        --- In pcgen@y..., "Nigel Bennington" <nigel@i...> wrote:
                        > Sword and Fist introduces the concept of the virtual feat, this is
                        a special
                        > ability that, although not providing identical behaviour to a feat,
                        is
                        > treated as if the character had the feat for all purposes, including
                        > pre-rquisites. The character is also assumed to have all pre-
                        requisites of
                        > the feat for which the SA is a virtual, as far as prerequisites are
                        > concerned (although he does not gain the game benefits).
                        >
                        > Can we add a SA tag to indicate that a particular special ability
                        is a
                        > virtual feat, and if so which feat it is? e.g.:
                        >
                        > SA:Flange Ability|VF|Spring Attack|Mobility|Dodge
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        >
                        > Nigel.

                      • Rich Allen
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                          Actually, virtual feats have been around since the 3E players handbook!
                          Rangers do NOT get the Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon feats free, they act as
                          if they had those feats when wearing light or no armor though. It also
                          works the same way as mentioned below, in that it acts as a prerequisite for
                          selecting other feats. How is this treated in PCGen now?

                          Rich

                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                            It's not handled currently - not completely anyway. PCGen does not
                            recognize these feats for the Ranger in terms of qualifying for other
                            feats, but it does recognize them if the ranger is wearing light or
                            no armor in terms of displaying your to-hit bonus on the character
                            sheet. The VFEAT: tag will allow PCGen to handle the feats in terms
                            of pre-requisites for other feats.

                            -Bryan

                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                              This raises a interesting point, do we need to be able to specify the
                              prereqs that enable a VFEAT?

                              For instance, if we set up the ranger with

                              VFEAT:Ambidexterity,Two Weapon Fighting

                              Then this will affect his weapon TOHIT scores, if he then equips Chainmail
                              armour, the VFEAT should be disabled, and the two-weapon penalties come in
                              on his TOHIT.

                              This is the sort of thing that we ought to take into account, so how about
                              allowing us to state pre-requisites for when the VFEAT is active?

                              Nigel.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                True - currently I have the Ranger's pre-reqs hard-coded.
                                Maybe something like
                                VFEAT:Two-Weapon Fighting|Amibidexterity|Load=Light,Armor=NoneLight
                                where all the items before the last | are feats that are only valid
                                if the requirements after the last | are met.
                                If a class has more than one VFEAT that meet different criteria,
                                they'd need multiple VFEAT tags.

                                I suppose a VFEAT that had no restrictions might as well be added to
                                the FEAT: tag, right? Why would it be a virtual feat if there are no
                                strings attached?

                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                  It would still be a VFEAT if the FEAT it echoes has pre-requisites, since
                                  the character is deemed to have all the pre-requisites of the VFEAT, for
                                  purposes of them being pre-requisites of other feats, but does not get the
                                  game benefits of them.

                                  Nigel.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                    awesome!

                                    when it comes to programming stuff...i am no good. graphics man..that is my
                                    bag

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                      Well, graphics are definitely NOT mine.
                                      For those reading this list who are good at graphics, how about a
                                      couple of suggestions:
                                      1. if you don't like my PC icon (blue field with yellow PC letters),
                                      can you do any better in an 8x8 pixel icon?
                                      2. Maybe you'd be interested in creating character portraits - I
                                      think at least one charactersheet that's been uploaded refers to a
                                      pic file of the same name as the character. Maybe I should create a
                                      Portraits directory - I don't want it to get out of hand space-wise,
                                      so keep the pics small and smallish in number.

                                      -Bryan

                                    • arcady0@yahoo.com
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                        > 2. Maybe you'd be interested in creating character portraits - I
                                        > think at least one charactersheet that's been uploaded refers to a
                                        > pic file of the same name as the character. Maybe I should create a
                                        > Portraits directory - I don't want it to get out of hand space-wise,
                                        > so keep the pics small and smallish in number.

                                        That would be my CSS character sheet. It takes any 178*178 pixel image
                                        named character_name.jpg .

                                        I think a portraits directory is a bad idea.

                                        images eat space real fast.

                                        People should provide their own images off of their own hard drives
                                        for their characters. That shouldn't be your service. Besides most of
                                        them are likley to be copyright violations (unless they draw them
                                        themselves like I do) and you don't need to put yourself in that kind
                                        of risky water.

                                        As for your icon. I'm a graphic designer and could play around a bit.
                                        But 8*8 pixel space isn't much. :)
                                      • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                          pics would definitly be interesting... but should be a locally generated
                                          file. Could you provide an empty file, or place holders? that way the pc
                                          files would look for a pic, find an emply placeholder, and not error unless
                                          there was a pic.

                                          Ernie Moulton
                                          E-Mail Administrator **
                                          ACS / HQ USAREC
                                          502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994
                                          mailto:moulton@...

                                          For those reading this list who are good at graphics, how about a
                                          couple of suggestions:
                                          1. if you don't like my PC icon (blue field with yellow PC letters),
                                          can you do any better in an 8x8 pixel icon?
                                          2. Maybe you'd be interested in creating character portraits - I
                                          think at least one charactersheet that's been uploaded refers to a
                                          pic file of the same name as the character. Maybe I should create a
                                          Portraits directory - I don't want it to get out of hand space-wise,
                                          so keep the pics small and smallish in number.

                                          -Bryan

                                          --- In pcgen@y..., "Edward Downard" <edownard@e...> wrote:
                                          > awesome!
                                          >
                                          > when it comes to programming stuff...i am no good. graphics
                                          man..that is my
                                          > bag
                                          >
                                          > Edward Downard
                                          > Digital Media Designer
                                          > http://home.earthlink.net/~edownard

                                        • Robert Hilson
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                            i have a plain old geocities site through yahoo and ill host pics. anyone know
                                            wther we could use the pics off woc sebsite? let me know ill edit my website
                                            and then wait for pics to put up

                                            =====
                                            Robert Hilson
                                            http://www.bepaid.com/users.rhtml?REFID=11428864