RE: [pcgen] No OS bugs[Was PCGen 5.3.1 is available]

  • Barak
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 3, 2003
      Thomas,

      Bjorn has it now and should be getting back to me soon, so you should be
      hearing something shortly.

      Barak
      ~PCGen BoD
      ~OS Silverback

    • B. K. Oxley (binkley)
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 3, 2003
        > I bnelieve that unless there's a serious bug in a stable that requires a
        > patch, you won't see additional release to the 5.evennumber releases.

        And if there is a serious bug in development, 5.3.1, that would be my fault. :-) In my
        haste to fix unqualified feats still giving you a bonus, I broke feats in general for ones
        that you only qualify for at first level.

        The code makes no distinction between the two meanings of qualify -- qualify to take
        and qualify to use -- and so my fix is brain-damaged. Sorry about that!
      • Graeme Adamson
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 3, 2003
          Is it just my imagination, or is 5.3.1 very slow - it seems markedly
          slower than 5.2 on my system (Win2K on P3 866MHz, 256MB RAM), which is
          admittedly quite a slug.

          Graeme

          --
          "Accept modestly, surrender gracefully" - Marcus Aurelius

          This e-mail message, together with any attachments that it may contain,
          is intended only for the named addressee(s) indicated in the message
          and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.
          If you have received this message in error, please accept our apologies
          and kindly inform the sender of the error. In this event, please also
          refrain from distributing this message any further and delete any copies
          you may have retained. Copyright in this e-mail and attachments vests in
          Gensec Bank Limited.

          Whilst all reasonable steps are taken to ensure the accuracy and integrity
          of information transmitted electronically and to preserve the confidentiality
          thereof, Gensec Bank does not represent, warrant and/or guarantee that the
          integrity of this information or data has been maintained nor that the
          communication is free of errors, virus infections, interception or interference.

          Gensec Bank furthermore accepts no liability whatsoever for any loss whether it
          be direct, indirect or consequential, arising from information available in this
          message and actions resulting there from.
        • Thomas Jannes
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 3, 2003
            I'm having the same problem with my 5.3.1. Old characters, with
            custom-made classes (some loosely based on the revoked WOTC lst files)
            are so slow to load, I first thought PCGen just wouldn't load them.

            A completely new char *might* be slower, haven't checked thoroughly.
            Still not sure if the speed might be due to the many ugly fixes I put
            in some lst files...

            > Is it just my imagination, or is 5.3.1 very slow - it seems markedly
            > slower than 5.2 on my system (Win2K on P3 866MHz, 256MB RAM), which is
            > admittedly quite a slug.

            > Graeme

            Best regards,

            Thomas Jannes Tel. 32-2-6503729
            Computer Center VUB ULB Fax. 32-2-6503740
            Pleinlaan 2, 1050 Brussels Belgium email: tjannes@...
          • Stefan Radermacher
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 3, 2003
              > I'm having the same problem with my 5.3.1. Old characters, with
              > custom-made classes (some loosely based on the revoked WOTC lst files)
              > are so slow to load, I first thought PCGen just wouldn't load them.
              Same here, earlier I created a new character, and entering skills
              really was a pain. Adding skill points took about 10 secaonds per
              change...

              --
              Regards,
              Stefan.

              E-Mail: stefan@...
              PGP-Key: http://www.zaister.de/pgpkey.asc
            • Rob Bowell
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 3, 2003
                I have a P4 1.3 GHz with 512 MB RAM running Windows XP. With a 4th level
                bard, it took 2-3 seconds to add a skill point. This seems a little
                slower than normal, but liveable.

                (I don't really know if there is a problem or not, but I just add this as
                a data point, not advocating any particular viewpoint :))

                On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Stefan Radermacher wrote:

                > > I'm having the same problem with my 5.3.1. Old characters, with
                > > custom-made classes (some loosely based on the revoked WOTC lst files)
                > > are so slow to load, I first thought PCGen just wouldn't load them.
                > Same here, earlier I created a new character, and entering skills
                > really was a pain. Adding skill points took about 10 secaonds per
                > change...
                >
                > --
                > Regards,
                > Stefan.
                >
                > E-Mail: stefan@...
                > PGP-Key: http://www.zaister.de/pgpkey.asc

                -- Rob Bowell
              • Tir Gwaith
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 3, 2003
                  How does it run with just the SRD? Same as 5.2 or 5.1.8?

                  And unless you did some MAJOR clean up, those old pulled files will cause problems. They weren't the best files out there before they were pulled. In truth, many of them didn't make PCGen 2.6-7.x very happy either. (Something you won't find with the new CMP data files. I've got my eye on those, and we got good monkeys writing and testing them.)

                  Tir Gwaith
                  PCGen Data SB and BoD
                  ~ Code Monkey Publishing PCGen Content Manager

                • frugal@purplewombat.co.uk
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 3, 2003
                    <quote who="Rob Bowell">
                    > I have a P4 1.3 GHz with 512 MB RAM running Windows XP. With a 4th level
                    > bard, it took 2-3 seconds to add a skill point. This seems a little
                    > slower than normal, but liveable.

                    Now try it on a P300 with 64Mb and it drops to 10-15 seconds.

                    I do not know what the minimum requirements are for PCGen, but I have been
                    using it one a P300 for the past 9 months and I can go and make a cup of
                    tea before a character loads.

                    A question for the developers: Has there been any profiling done on PCGen?
                    It would seem from a user point of view that there is an awful lot of time
                    spent calculating the bonuses available by iterating over every single
                    feat, skill, stat and piece of equipment for the character. I wonder, has
                    anyone actually looked to see where the bottle necks are? I think that we
                    could speed PCGen up by a couple of orders of magnitude by caching more
                    information.

                    I.e. on output, when iterating over the equipment list PCGen will build a
                    completely new list for each property for each item. So for an equipment
                    list of 50 items each with about 20 properties PCgen will generate the
                    list 1000 times. Plus it will also generate the list each time a skill or
                    stat is examined so that it can get the bonuses.

                    --
                    regards,
                    Frugal
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 3, 2003
                      I believe profiling has been done, and is currently being discussed
                      by the developers. It seemed to me that 5.1.8 was much faster - I
                      didn't have as much time to play with 5.3.1, did anyone notice a
                      difference? I know some changes were made that could have impacted
                      speed, especially for systems with lower amounts of RAM. Scott
                      Ettlesworth just suggested on the developer's forum some changes that
                      are very similar to some changes I've been mulling for quite some
                      time that would help reduce significantly the amount of re-
                      calculating that PCGen does.

                      -Bryan

                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, frugal@p... wrote:

                      > <quote who="Rob Bowell">
                      > > I have a P4 1.3 GHz with 512 MB RAM running Windows XP. With a
                      4th level
                      > > bard, it took 2-3 seconds to add a skill point. This seems a
                      little
                      > > slower than normal, but liveable.
                      >
                      > Now try it on a P300 with 64Mb and it drops to 10-15 seconds.
                      >
                      > I do not know what the minimum requirements are for PCGen, but I
                      have been
                      > using it one a P300 for the past 9 months and I can go and make a
                      cup of
                      > tea before a character loads.
                      >
                      > A question for the developers: Has there been any profiling done on
                      PCGen?
                      > It would seem from a user point of view that there is an awful lot
                      of time
                      > spent calculating the bonuses available by iterating over every
                      single
                      > feat, skill, stat and piece of equipment for the character. I
                      wonder, has
                      > anyone actually looked to see where the bottle necks are? I think
                      that we
                      > could speed PCGen up by a couple of orders of magnitude by caching
                      more
                      > information.
                      >
                      > I.e. on output, when iterating over the equipment list PCGen will
                      build a
                      > completely new list for each property for each item. So for an
                      equipment
                      > list of 50 items each with about 20 properties PCgen will generate
                      the
                      > list 1000 times. Plus it will also generate the list each time a
                      skill or
                      > stat is examined so that it can get the bonuses.
                      >
                      > --
                      > regards,
                      > Frugal
                      > -OS Tamarin
                    • B. K. Oxley (binkley)
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 3, 2003
                        > I believe profiling has been done, and is currently being discussed
                        > by the developers. It seemed to me that 5.1.8 was much faster

                        Does 5.1.8 include the PObjectNode speedup for children nodes?
                      • Emily Smirle
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 3, 2003
                          Rob Bowell wrote:
                          > I have a P4 1.3 GHz with 512 MB RAM running Windows XP. With a 4th level
                          > bard, it took 2-3 seconds to add a skill point. This seems a little
                          > slower than normal, but liveable.
                          >
                          > (I don't really know if there is a problem or not, but I just add this as
                          > a data point, not advocating any particular viewpoint :))
                          >
                          > On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Stefan Radermacher wrote:
                          >

                          >>>I'm having the same problem with my 5.3.1. Old characters, with
                          >>>custom-made classes (some loosely based on the revoked WOTC lst files)
                          >>>are so slow to load, I first thought PCGen just wouldn't load them.
                          >>
                          >>Same here, earlier I created a new character, and entering skills
                          >>really was a pain. Adding skill points took about 10 secaonds per
                          >>change...

                          I'm still pushing for someone to allow me to pick a bunch of skills and
                          "add 1" or "add 2" or "maximum ranks" them all at once, so I can go get
                          coffee while the skills update. I tried to create a level 15 high int
                          human rogue. Ow.

                          My laptop is a 400mz celeron, 160-mumble MB RAM in windows XP, i'm using
                          the windows native skin.

                          My desktop is slightly faster (900mz Athalon, 384 MB RAM, WinXP) but
                          still frustrating.
                          --
                          Emily Smirle (jerril) Beware, for my Axe
                          GMGen Princess will cut you off at the knees.
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 4, 2003
                            The latest previous PCGen I have installed is 5.1.5. For what it´s
                            worth I am "happy" with it´s performance.

                            5.3.1 just crawls for me. When I open my 13th lvl char. on my
                            PIII900 (Win2k Java 1.31 300MB+ RAM), PCGen just dies (admittedly
                            with several custom sources loaded).

                            I tried loading just the SRD, and created a human fighter running
                            both versions concurrently. Immediately on lvl 1. the speed
                            difference is massive. Adding and removing skills in 5.3.1. is a
                            painfully slow progress.

                            Upon realizing that, I didn´t even bother to add more levels to the
                            characters before posting here. (But will if the need arises).

                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...>
                            wrote:
                            > How does it run with just the SRD? Same as 5.2 or 5.1.8?
                            >
                            > And unless you did some MAJOR clean up, those old pulled files will
                            cause problems. They weren't the best files out there before they
                            were pulled. In truth, many of them didn't make PCGen 2.6-7.x very
                            happy either. (Something you won't find with the new CMP data
                            files. I've got my eye on those, and we got good monkeys writing and
                            testing them.)

                            > Tir Gwaith
                            > PCGen Data SB and BoD
                            > ~ Code Monkey Publishing PCGen Content Manager
                            >

                            > >I'm having the same problem with my 5.3.1. Old characters, with
                            > >custom-made classes (some loosely based on the revoked WOTC lst
                            files)
                            > >are so slow to load, I first thought PCGen just wouldn't load them.
                            > >
                            > >A completely new char *might* be slower, haven't checked
                            thoroughly.
                            > >Still not sure if the speed might be due to the many ugly fixes I
                            put
                            > >in some lst files...
                          • Jake Furbush
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 5, 2003
                              I'm having similar performance issues; 5.3.1 is well-nigh unusable on
                              my P3/900 (Win2K, Java 1.4.0_03, 376MB). Even loading a character
                              created in the same version is painful. (Fuggetabout skill-point
                              allocation.) I have some custom files, but nothing major. For what
                              it's worth, it does seem like the d20Mod Campaign files cause more of
                              a drag than the D&D files do, though I didn't do a formal test. (Will
                              be happy to do so by request.)

                              > 5.3.1 just crawls for me. When I open my 13th lvl char. on my
                              > PIII900 (Win2k Java 1.31 300MB+ RAM), PCGen just dies (admittedly
                              > with several custom sources loaded).
                              >
                              > I tried loading just the SRD, and created a human fighter running
                              > both versions concurrently. Immediately on lvl 1. the speed
                              > difference is massive. Adding and removing skills in 5.3.1. is a
                              > painfully slow progress.
                              >
                              > Upon realizing that, I didn´t even bother to add more levels to the
                              > characters before posting here. (But will if the need arises).
                            • tabeall
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 5, 2003
                                Did a quick test with the following result:

                                V4.2.4 with PHB, MM, DMG loaded - Skill add takes just over a second.

                                V5.2 & V5.3.1 SRD loaded - Skill add takes about three seconds.

                                Timed by watching the second hand on the Date/Time properties window.
                                The times were consistant through several skill adds in all versions.

                                System: Athlon classic 750, 768M Ram, Java 1.4.1_01, Win 2k.

                                Not a complete test but it does appear that something has affected
                                performance between 4.2.4 and 5.2 & 5.3.1. Still seems usable though.

                                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Furbush" <jackanapes@e...> wrote:
                                > I'm having similar performance issues; 5.3.1 is well-nigh unusable
                                on
                                > my P3/900 (Win2K, Java 1.4.0_03, 376MB). Even loading a character
                                > created in the same version is painful. (Fuggetabout skill-point
                                > allocation.) I have some custom files, but nothing major. For what
                                > it's worth, it does seem like the d20Mod Campaign files cause more
                                of
                                > a drag than the D&D files do, though I didn't do a formal test.
                                (Will
                                > be happy to do so by request.)
                                >
                                > > 5.3.1 just crawls for me. When I open my 13th lvl char. on my
                                > > PIII900 (Win2k Java 1.31 300MB+ RAM), PCGen just dies (admittedly
                                > > with several custom sources loaded).
                                > >
                                > > I tried loading just the SRD, and created a human fighter running
                                > > both versions concurrently. Immediately on lvl 1. the speed
                                > > difference is massive. Adding and removing skills in 5.3.1. is a
                                > > painfully slow progress.
                                > >
                                > > Upon realizing that, I didn´t even bother to add more levels
                                to the
                                > > characters before posting here. (But will if the need arises).
                              • chris
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 5, 2003
                                  with the way skills are being done now...