try to reproduce this bug, please (Feats give bonuses even when don't qualify)

  • B. K. Oxley (binkley)
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
      I'm trying to fix this bug (#709677) but cannot reproduce it (see below). If you can send
      me steps to reproduce it, I would really appreciate it. Otherwise I'm just going to close
      it as "works for me". That makes me a little nervous.

      <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=709677&group_id=25576&atid=384719>

      If I get, a feat with a prerequisite, I still get the benefits
      of that feat, even if I no longer qualify for it, which
      should not be the case.

      For instance, if the feat Foo has a prerequisite of CHA
      15+, and the player gets CHA drained down to CHA 14,
      he should no longer get the benefits of the feat.

      Incidently, fixing this would also solve about a hojillion
      level-down problems that PCGen has with regards to
      invisible feats (which, of course, stick around even if you
      level down in the class that grants them). For instance,
      at the begining of the AssKicker PrC, you could say

      DEFINE:AssKickerLevels|CL

      Then, for the special ability that (for whatever reason)
      must be represented with invisible feats that AssKicker
      gets at 8th level, you add

      PREVARGTEQ:AssKickerLevel,8

      as a prereq for the invisible feat. That way, when a
      player gets level drained or killed, and drops from 8th
      level to 7th level in AssKicker, PCGen will get rid of the
      bonuses he got from his 8th level ability/invisible feat.
    • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
        You heard the man people!!!! I really don't want this bug closed without
        being 'fixed' 8-). Binkley, have you looked @ the various 2 weapon fighting
        feats? I believe that if you are a non ranger taking them you need a 13
        Dex.

        TM SB

        I'm trying to fix this bug (#709677) but cannot reproduce it (see below).
        If you can send
        me steps to reproduce it, I would really appreciate it. Otherwise I'm just
        going to close
        it as "works for me". That makes me a little nervous.

        <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail
        <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=709677&group_id=2
        5576&atid=384719> &aid=709677&group_id=25576&atid=384719>

[...]

      • Brad Franks
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
          1. Create a fighter and take Weapon Focus(X) at 1st level

          2. Level up to 4th and take Weapon Specialization(X)

          3. Remove the Weapon Focus(X) on the Feats tab

          Result: You get to keep the Weapon Specialization and it's bonuses even
          though you fail to meet the PREFEAT

          I think the issue is how PCGen "remembers" where feats come from, or more
          precisely, how it *doesn't* remember where they come from. It checks for the
          appropriate PRE's before allowing you to select it, but doesn't remove the
          feat if you lose the PRE's associated to it.

          Brad

          > You heard the man people!!!! I really don't want this bug closed without
          > being 'fixed' 8-). Binkley, have you looked @ the various 2 weapon
          fighting
          > feats? I believe that if you are a non ranger taking them you need a 13
          > Dex.

        • Tir Gwaith
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
            Take Point Blank Shot, Take Far Shot. Remove Point Blank Shot. The BONUS
            to range still remains true.

            Hence the need for the 'House Rule setting' - and keep PRELEVELMAX out of
            the mix, since that is used for Selection more often than use.

            Tir Gwaith
            PCGen Data SB and BoD

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Franks" <bfranks@d...> wrote:
              > I think the issue is how PCGen "remembers" where feats come from, or more
              > precisely, how it *doesn't* remember where they come from. It checks for the
              > appropriate PRE's before allowing you to select it, but doesn't remove the
              > feat if you lose the PRE's associated to it.

              An important note: You SHOULD keep the feet even if you no longer qualify. It was
              pointed out to me that this is a WotC ruling. You just can't use the feat until you
              requalify. I've fixed that part in CVS HEAD by making unqualified feats on the
              right-hand, selected side of the Feats tab now appear in RED, just like they do on the
              left-hand, available side of the tab.

              But you stil lose the bonus.

              I appreciate the instructions for making a PC to test that although the feat is still listed,
              it is not applied if you lose qualifications. I think I can see how to fix this in my head, but
              getting into the code might be messy depending on how organized it is about this point.

              Thanks!
              --binkley
            • B. K. Oxley (binkley)
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
                > Take Point Blank Shot, Take Far Shot. Remove Point Blank Shot. The BONUS
                > to range still remains true.

                Another good example. Thanks!

                > Hence the need for the 'House Rule setting' - and keep PRELEVELMAX out of
                > the mix, since that is used for Selection more often than use.

                The source of the bug is that we apply feats that are selected without checking if they
                are qualified. A reasonable error, to be sure. I just need to track down all the spots
                where feats are applied and fix them. Alternatively, I could make feats return no
                bonuses when they aren't qualified. Hmmm. What a nifty idea. That might be much
                easier.
              • B. K. Oxley (binkley)
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Franks" <bfranks@d...> wrote:
                  > 1. Create a fighter and take Weapon Focus(X) at 1st level
                  >
                  > 2. Level up to 4th and take Weapon Specialization(X)
                  >
                  > 3. Remove the Weapon Focus(X) on the Feats tab
                  >
                  > Result: You get to keep the Weapon Specialization and it's bonuses even
                  > though you fail to meet the PREFEAT

                  Thanks, Brad, for the good example!
                • B. K. Oxley (binkley)
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
                    Thanks for the suggestions on reproducing. I think it's fixed in CVS HEAD. To test I
                    tried the Weapon Focus(X)/Weapon Specialization(X) situation and confirmed that
                    damage swung up/down 2 points as per Weapon Specialization when I added/removed
                    Weapon Focus.

                    Cheers,
                    --binkley
                  • Tir Gwaith
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
                      Just make it an option to leave the BONUSes etc. in even if you are no
                      longer qualified.

                      (In otherwords, don't ruin my personal campaign, please. :p )

                      Tir Gwaith
                      PCGen Data SB and BoD