RE: [pcgen] Re: new PCs -- which starting tab?

  • Michael G. Meskill (MIS)
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 2, 2003
      Going out on a limb a bit here...

      I think WotC's point of view is that each player of DnD should buy their own
      PHB, or borrow a friend's, hoping that they will eventually get their own.
      If there's a program out there that steps a person through creating a
      character, there's really not much reason to buy a PHB. PCGen in it's
      current state doesn't eliminate the need to have access to a PHB, it simply
      enhances the use of a PHB. The inclusion of a Character Creation Wizard or
      even written instructions on creating a character may reduce the necessity
      of having access to a PHB.

      Personally, I think it would be cool to have a step-by-step character
      creation guide. It could include hints and tips on game mechanics and
      suggestions for what to put into each level as a roadmap to what you want
      your character to be like at high level. Unfortunately that would be a
      different product, and would likely infringe on WotC's sales of PHBs and
      splat books like Sword & Fist. If we want to have more DnD stuff from WotC,
      we have to make it worth-while for WotC to create it by supporting their
      efforts. That support is undermined if they aren't selling as many of their
      best seller - the PHB.

      WotC has taken a lot of risk by going to the Open Gaming License, and that
      gamble is paying off for them. Protecting their intellectual property, the
      stuff that makes sales for them, is tantamount to their staying in business.

      Wow, I really didn't intend to write a book, and if what I said sounds like
      a lecture it really wasn't intended to. I just wanted to illustrate that
      some of the things that seem simple have far reaching impact on the RPG
      community and the companies that support it.

      -Mike

      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 4, 2003
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
        > The idea behind Current tab would be: I open John Doe. Go to Equipment. I
        > open Jane Doe, Stays on equipment. I then go to Spells (Jane is a
        > spellcaster.) I then open Jane's friend, Henry Smith, also a spellcaster.
        > Since I was last on the Spells tab, it stays on the Current tab (in this
        > second case, the Spells tab). A moving 'whatever was the last selected tab,
        > not a specific tab that the user happened to be on when they went to
        > preferences.

        Ah, thank you for explaining! I was viewing it as a static setting rather than a dynamic
        one. You have cast the blinders off my eyes. Then I agree that we should have that
        choice.