Re: [pcgen] new PCs -- which starting tab?

  • Eric Beaudoin
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 2 8:25 AM
      At 10:18 2003.07.02, Brass Tilde wrote:
      >> Then the second PC when he starts isn't on the Summary tab but on
      >> the tab of the first PC, whatever tab it was you switched to.
      >>
      >> This is super simple to change so that new PCs always start on
      >> the Summary tab, so I have to wonder: is this intentional?
      >
      >How simple would it be to make the starting tab a user preference? I don't
      >know about others, but I don't have much use for the summary tab until
      >*after* I've done most other stuff.

      Well, the summary tab is the only place where you can enter the stat abilities of the PC and if you do not enter at least the INT before adding your first level, the skill points get all screwed up.

      So I would say, default to Summary and code the possibility of a different preference only if it can be done with very little work.

      My 0.02 $ (and that's Canadian $ even)

      √Čric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
      >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
      >> Camels to canmb trees (and sometime eat them)
      <mailto:beaudoer@...>
    • B. K. Oxley (binkley)
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 4 8:55 AM
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
        > The idea behind Current tab would be: I open John Doe. Go to Equipment. I
        > open Jane Doe, Stays on equipment. I then go to Spells (Jane is a
        > spellcaster.) I then open Jane's friend, Henry Smith, also a spellcaster.
        > Since I was last on the Spells tab, it stays on the Current tab (in this
        > second case, the Spells tab). A moving 'whatever was the last selected tab,
        > not a specific tab that the user happened to be on when they went to
        > preferences.

        Ah, thank you for explaining! I was viewing it as a static setting rather than a dynamic
        one. You have cast the blinders off my eyes. Then I agree that we should have that
        choice.