Re: new PCs -- which starting tab?

  • krazhit
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 2, 2003
      How about a Character Wizard (No not that kind of wizard:) for new
      users? (God knows I might even use it if properly implemented).
      This Wizard would lead the user through all the necessary minimum
      steps to create a first level character ((Sources-)Stats-Race-
      Alignment-Class)

      This would be the default for new characters, but for experienced
      users it could be swithced off via the prefs.

      This has probably been discussed before, but I have never seen it
      concluded.

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "B. K. Oxley (binkley)" <binkley@a...>
      wrote:
      > I notice that if you do this:
      >
      > 1. Start fresh PCGen.
      > 2. Load sources.
      > 3. Start a new PC.
      > 4. Switch to some other tab than Summary.
      > 5. Start a second new PC.
      >
      > Then the second PC when he starts isn't on the Summary tab but on
      the tab of the first
      > PC, whatever tab it was you switched to.
      >
      > This is super simple to change so that new PCs always start on the
      Summary tab, so I
      > have to wonder: is this intentional? I'm tempted to "fix" it right
      now in CVS HEAD, but
      > I don't want to do that if there is a user or policy reason to keep
      the current behavior.

      > Thanks!
      > --binkley
    • B. K. Oxley (binkley)
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 4, 2003
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
        > The idea behind Current tab would be: I open John Doe. Go to Equipment. I
        > open Jane Doe, Stays on equipment. I then go to Spells (Jane is a
        > spellcaster.) I then open Jane's friend, Henry Smith, also a spellcaster.
        > Since I was last on the Spells tab, it stays on the Current tab (in this
        > second case, the Spells tab). A moving 'whatever was the last selected tab,
        > not a specific tab that the user happened to be on when they went to
        > preferences.

        Ah, thank you for explaining! I was viewing it as a static setting rather than a dynamic
        one. You have cast the blinders off my eyes. Then I agree that we should have that
        choice.