Re: hit point methods

  • merton_monk
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2003
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "B. K. Oxley (binkley)" <binkley@a...>
      wrote:
      > I looked at this more and my memory had failed me. The method I
      described
      > (max(1st), max(2nd), avg(3rd+) + 1) is actually an amalgam of two
      other methods that
      > have been commented out of the code for licensing reasons: Living
      Greyhawk and Living
      > City. Therefore I'm not touching it with a 10' pole. :-)
      >
      > But my discussion with Tir did lead to an excellent suggestion by
      him: come up with a
      > text representation for all HP methods so that they can go into LST
      files instead of being
      > Java code inside of PCGen. As I did with DiceExpression (e.g.,
      3d8+1), I can do similarly
      > with hit points. Then we can move the Java code into LST data
      instead and let users
      > edit their own roll methods.

      Yup - inevitably it all needs to be done that way. The data file has
      to be fairly intuitive to non-geek types, and also has to rely upon
      no hard coding. Want to take up the gauntlet? :) I'm sure Tir
      and/or myself could help comment on proposed syntax.

      -Bryan
    • B. K. Oxley (binkley)
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2003
        > Yup - inevitably it all needs to be done that way. The data file has
        > to be fairly intuitive to non-geek types, and also has to rely upon
        > no hard coding. Want to take up the gauntlet? :) I'm sure Tir
        > and/or myself could help comment on proposed syntax.

        Um... I've already started? :-)

        I plan to leverage of pcgen.util.DiceExpression syntax but I do need some minimal
        control logic, e.g., if (level == 1) { ... }.
      • lonbarnett1957
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2003
          Isn't the if just a PRELEVEL:1 tag? and I'd like to see the same
          kinds of functionality as allowed in BONUS (MIN, MAX, INT, etc).