PCGen release 31Jan01

  • mocha@mcs.net
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 31, 2001
      Bugs:
      1. Max skill rank is now correctly determined.
      2. Combat Initiative roll now works correctly.
      3. When you delete a spellbook, it's removed from the list.

      Features:
      1. added PREWEAPONPROF: for prestige class pre-requisite (added
      PREWEAPONOPROF:Rapier to duelist)
      2. added PREITEM: for prestige class pre-requisites (Cavalier could
      use this)
      3. changed name of Lightsaber,double to Double Lightsaber in
      equipment.lst and weaponprof.lst

      Release is (as always) at
      http://www.mcs.net/~mocha/frp/3e
      and should be there in about 10 minutes.

      Does anyone have the Star Wars Gamer files Robert put together? I
      seem to have overwritten them and can't find them anywhere. Hopefully
      someone kept a copy of it somewhere - I keep lots of copies, but
      can't seem to find this one.

      Thanks - and keep the bugs/suggestions coming!

      -Bryan
    • Franco, Matthew E

        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 31, 2001
          I will check when I get home - I'm pretty sure I have the files somewhere.
          Next time, though, if I send LST file updates for a release, try not to
          apply it to a later release - it causes problems like that if you do... :)

          Dave

          On Thu, 1 Feb 2001 mocha@... wrote:

          > Bugs:
          > 1. Max skill rank is now correctly determined.
          > 2. Combat Initiative roll now works correctly.
          > 3. When you delete a spellbook, it's removed from the list.
          >
          > Features:
          > 1. added PREWEAPONPROF: for prestige class pre-requisite (added
          > PREWEAPONOPROF:Rapier to duelist)
          > 2. added PREITEM: for prestige class pre-requisites (Cavalier could
          > use this)
          > 3. changed name of Lightsaber,double to Double Lightsaber in
          > equipment.lst and weaponprof.lst
          >
          > Release is (as always) at
          > http://www.mcs.net/~mocha/frp/3e
          > and should be there in about 10 minutes.
          >
          > Does anyone have the Star Wars Gamer files Robert put together? I
          > seem to have overwritten them and can't find them anywhere. Hopefully
          > someone kept a copy of it somewhere - I keep lots of copies, but
          > can't seem to find this one.
          >
          > Thanks - and keep the bugs/suggestions coming!
          >
          > -Bryan
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • David Cortijo
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 31, 2001
            I hate to say this in the way I'm about to say it, but I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE $&%@)%&*!*&$(!&% any of you are talking about.  I just downloaded the lastest realse of PCgen, overwrote all the files in my directory, and everything is working fine.  I get all the Prestige Classes, all the Star Wars Gamer races, and all the class skills working properly.  Check it out for yourselves - the data is in there.

            Dave

            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
              I was curious if the sword and fist items were going to be added? not seeing
              them in this update

              Edward Downard
              Digital Media Designer
              http://home.earthlink.net/~edownard

              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                I'm finishing them off as we speak, there were a few patches needed before
                they could be completed, but expect them to be uploaded before monday.

                Nigel.

                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                  Max skill rank is not working correctly, I am building a fighter with a view
                  to taking him to Cavalier (testing Sword and Fist additions) and although it
                  displays Maximum cross-class skill rank correctly, by the time he is a
                  seventh level fighter (max skill rank 10, max cross-class skill rank 5) I
                  can't raise cross-class skills beyond 3, when I try it displays a message,
                  maximum rank at your level is 3.

                  Incidentally, you shouldn't round the max cross-class to an integer, when
                  max class skill is 9, max cross-class should be 4.5, not 4.

                  Hope this helps.

                  Nigel.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                    Further thought

                    could the PREITEM work as choose any n from a | delimited list (many items
                    have commas in the names), as this is needed for Cavalier, e.g.:

                    PREITEM:1,Shield, large, wooden, masterwork|Shield, large, metal,
                    masterwork|Shield, tower, masterwork

                    Thanks,

                    Nigel.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                      Sword and Fist introduces the concept of the virtual feat, this is a special
                      ability that, although not providing identical behaviour to a feat, is
                      treated as if the character had the feat for all purposes, including
                      pre-rquisites. The character is also assumed to have all pre-requisites of
                      the feat for which the SA is a virtual, as far as prerequisites are
                      concerned (although he does not gain the game benefits).

                      Can we add a SA tag to indicate that a particular special ability is a
                      virtual feat, and if so which feat it is? e.g.:

                      SA:Flange Ability|VF|Spring Attack|Mobility|Dodge

                      Cheers,

                      Nigel.
                    • mocha@mcs.net
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                        That makes sense. I would probably do it more along the lines of
                        PREITEM:1|Shield, large, wooden, masterwork|Shield, large, metal,
                        masterwork|Shield, tower, masterwork
                        From this I assume that the cavalier must have a large masterwork
                        shield of some sort? So perhaps something along the lines of
                        PREITEM:1|Shield, large%masterwork
                        would be better at handling any possible permuatations?

                        -Bryan

                      • mocha@mcs.net
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                          In the Features Requests.txt file, Dave has an item about adding
                          VFEAT: to classes, which can be used as pre-requisites for other
                          feats.

                        • mocha@mcs.net
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                            I'm not entirely certain what's missing as I hadn't looked too
                            carefully at all what Star Wars Gamer had in it. Robert said that
                            there were a few prestige classes and some skills. Hopefully he can
                            clear that up for us. So I'm not entirely certain what I'm talking
                            about either - but I'm used to that! ;)

                            -Bryan

                          • mocha@mcs.net
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                              All the examples of max rank I've seen for cross-class use integers,
                              but you're probably right - there's no reason it has to be an
                              integer. I suspect what I'm doing is quartering the max rank for
                              class skills by dividing in half in two different places. I'll verify
                              that and fix it for my next release.

                            • Nigel Bennington
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                Kewel

                                In the Features Requests.txt file, Dave has an item about adding
                                VFEAT: to classes, which can be used as pre-requisites for other
                                feats.

                                -Bryan

                                --- In pcgen@y..., "Nigel Bennington" <nigel@i...> wrote:
                                > Sword and Fist introduces the concept of the virtual feat, this is
                                a special
                                > ability that, although not providing identical behaviour to a feat,
                                is
                                > treated as if the character had the feat for all purposes, including
                                > pre-rquisites. The character is also assumed to have all pre-
                                requisites of
                                > the feat for which the SA is a virtual, as far as prerequisites are
                                > concerned (although he does not gain the game benefits).
                                >
                                > Can we add a SA tag to indicate that a particular special ability
                                is a
                                > virtual feat, and if so which feat it is? e.g.:
                                >
                                > SA:Flange Ability|VF|Spring Attack|Mobility|Dodge
                                >
                                > Cheers,
                                >
                                > Nigel.

                              • Rich Allen
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                  Actually, virtual feats have been around since the 3E players handbook!
                                  Rangers do NOT get the Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon feats free, they act as
                                  if they had those feats when wearing light or no armor though. It also
                                  works the same way as mentioned below, in that it acts as a prerequisite for
                                  selecting other feats. How is this treated in PCGen now?

                                  Rich

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                    It's not handled currently - not completely anyway. PCGen does not
                                    recognize these feats for the Ranger in terms of qualifying for other
                                    feats, but it does recognize them if the ranger is wearing light or
                                    no armor in terms of displaying your to-hit bonus on the character
                                    sheet. The VFEAT: tag will allow PCGen to handle the feats in terms
                                    of pre-requisites for other feats.

                                    -Bryan

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                      This raises a interesting point, do we need to be able to specify the
                                      prereqs that enable a VFEAT?

                                      For instance, if we set up the ranger with

                                      VFEAT:Ambidexterity,Two Weapon Fighting

                                      Then this will affect his weapon TOHIT scores, if he then equips Chainmail
                                      armour, the VFEAT should be disabled, and the two-weapon penalties come in
                                      on his TOHIT.

                                      This is the sort of thing that we ought to take into account, so how about
                                      allowing us to state pre-requisites for when the VFEAT is active?

                                      Nigel.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                        True - currently I have the Ranger's pre-reqs hard-coded.
                                        Maybe something like
                                        VFEAT:Two-Weapon Fighting|Amibidexterity|Load=Light,Armor=NoneLight
                                        where all the items before the last | are feats that are only valid
                                        if the requirements after the last | are met.
                                        If a class has more than one VFEAT that meet different criteria,
                                        they'd need multiple VFEAT tags.

                                        I suppose a VFEAT that had no restrictions might as well be added to
                                        the FEAT: tag, right? Why would it be a virtual feat if there are no
                                        strings attached?

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                          It would still be a VFEAT if the FEAT it echoes has pre-requisites, since
                                          the character is deemed to have all the pre-requisites of the VFEAT, for
                                          purposes of them being pre-requisites of other feats, but does not get the
                                          game benefits of them.

                                          Nigel.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                            awesome!

                                            when it comes to programming stuff...i am no good. graphics man..that is my
                                            bag

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                              Well, graphics are definitely NOT mine.
                                              For those reading this list who are good at graphics, how about a
                                              couple of suggestions:
                                              1. if you don't like my PC icon (blue field with yellow PC letters),
                                              can you do any better in an 8x8 pixel icon?
                                              2. Maybe you'd be interested in creating character portraits - I
                                              think at least one charactersheet that's been uploaded refers to a
                                              pic file of the same name as the character. Maybe I should create a
                                              Portraits directory - I don't want it to get out of hand space-wise,
                                              so keep the pics small and smallish in number.

                                              -Bryan

                                            • arcady0@yahoo.com
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                                > 2. Maybe you'd be interested in creating character portraits - I
                                                > think at least one charactersheet that's been uploaded refers to a
                                                > pic file of the same name as the character. Maybe I should create a
                                                > Portraits directory - I don't want it to get out of hand space-wise,
                                                > so keep the pics small and smallish in number.

                                                That would be my CSS character sheet. It takes any 178*178 pixel image
                                                named character_name.jpg .

                                                I think a portraits directory is a bad idea.

                                                images eat space real fast.

                                                People should provide their own images off of their own hard drives
                                                for their characters. That shouldn't be your service. Besides most of
                                                them are likley to be copyright violations (unless they draw them
                                                themselves like I do) and you don't need to put yourself in that kind
                                                of risky water.

                                                As for your icon. I'm a graphic designer and could play around a bit.
                                                But 8*8 pixel space isn't much. :)
                                              • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                                  pics would definitly be interesting... but should be a locally generated
                                                  file. Could you provide an empty file, or place holders? that way the pc
                                                  files would look for a pic, find an emply placeholder, and not error unless
                                                  there was a pic.

                                                  Ernie Moulton
                                                  E-Mail Administrator **
                                                  ACS / HQ USAREC
                                                  502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994
                                                  mailto:moulton@...

                                                  For those reading this list who are good at graphics, how about a
                                                  couple of suggestions:
                                                  1. if you don't like my PC icon (blue field with yellow PC letters),
                                                  can you do any better in an 8x8 pixel icon?
                                                  2. Maybe you'd be interested in creating character portraits - I
                                                  think at least one charactersheet that's been uploaded refers to a
                                                  pic file of the same name as the character. Maybe I should create a
                                                  Portraits directory - I don't want it to get out of hand space-wise,
                                                  so keep the pics small and smallish in number.

                                                  -Bryan

                                                  --- In pcgen@y..., "Edward Downard" <edownard@e...> wrote:
                                                  > awesome!
                                                  >
                                                  > when it comes to programming stuff...i am no good. graphics
                                                  man..that is my
                                                  > bag
                                                  >
                                                  > Edward Downard
                                                  > Digital Media Designer
                                                  > http://home.earthlink.net/~edownard

                                                • Robert Hilson
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Feb 1, 2001
                                                    i have a plain old geocities site through yahoo and ill host pics. anyone know
                                                    wther we could use the pics off woc sebsite? let me know ill edit my website
                                                    and then wait for pics to put up

                                                    =====
                                                    Robert Hilson
                                                    http://www.bepaid.com/users.rhtml?REFID=11428864