Applying templates (was [BUG ] & [FREQ] OS, AC tokens for armor/shield messed up

  • Stefan Radermacher
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, frugal@p... wrote:
      > Personally I have a whole selection opf templates that given the
      > various bonuses from spells and bard songs that I just apply or not
      > depending on the occasion ;O)

      Interesting. I wonder, how do you work with your templates?

      Do you keep around lots of different printed sheets for your character
      for all kinds of situations? I imagine this might quickly get out of
      hand - one might need up to n! prepared sheets for n templates... :-)

      Or do you print them when the situation arises, which, I think, might
      be dispuptive to play.

      I love the features of templates (and also the new temporary
      bonuses), but I keep wondering how to make the most practical use of
      them without printing lots of sheets for all kinds of situations.

      Probably everyone has their own preferences on how to do that, why not
      share some ideas here?

      Regards,
      Stefan.
    • Steven Gilroy
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
        I think it's more for those that have a laptop at the game table or
        actually play online games. I have not been able to find a practicle
        use for at the table play w/o a laptop. (I just can't afford to print
        out 6 copies of each character for each level and when he/she buys
        something new or sells something)

        Stefan Radermacher wrote:
        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, frugal@p... wrote:
        >
        >>Personally I have a whole selection opf templates that given the
        >>various bonuses from spells and bard songs that I just apply or not
        >>depending on the occasion ;O)
        >

        > Interesting. I wonder, how do you work with your templates?
        >
        > Do you keep around lots of different printed sheets for your character
        > for all kinds of situations? I imagine this might quickly get out of
        > hand - one might need up to n! prepared sheets for n templates... :-)
        >
        > Or do you print them when the situation arises, which, I think, might
        > be dispuptive to play.
        >
        > I love the features of templates (and also the new temporary
        > bonuses), but I keep wondering how to make the most practical use of
        > them without printing lots of sheets for all kinds of situations.
        >
        > Probably everyone has their own preferences on how to do that, why not
        > share some ideas here?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Stefan.

        Steven Gilroy
        PCGen OS Lemur
      • frugal@purplewombat.co.uk
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
          <quote who="Stefan Radermacher">
          > Interesting. I wonder, how do you work with your templates?
          >
          > Do you keep around lots of different printed sheets for your character
          > for all kinds of situations? I imagine this might quickly get out of
          > hand - one might need up to n! prepared sheets for n templates... :-)
          >
          > Or do you print them when the situation arises, which, I think, might
          > be dispuptive to play.

          I tend to print off 2 versions of the character sheet: One as a basic one,
          and one in a different colour with all of the templates that represent the
          spells I always have cast on me during the day (Greater Magic Fang, Mage
          Armour, Magic Tattoo etc). If I know that the session will only last a few
          hours of game time then I also roll the Owls wisdom and Cats grace and add
          them before hand.

          If the DM would allow laptops at the game then I would just apply the
          templates as an when needed and re-export the character. (for bards songs,
          and other temporary bonuses and penalties).

          --
          regards,
          Frugal
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
            Yeah baby, a $4000 character sheet is the way to go in the 21st
            century.
            (I´ve seen at most 4 high end ThinkPads on my gaming table:)

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gilroy <sgilroy2@w...> wrote:
            > I think it's more for those that have a laptop at the game table or
            > actually play online games.
          • Stefan Radermacher
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
              Oops, sorry for posting twice.

              Regards,
              Stefan.
            • Tir Gwaith
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
                Because it isn't an ehancement that way, it actually modifies the Armor type AC, and there are stacking issues. When we tried it with Enhancments it doesn't work....

                For Example: Bracers of Armor grant an Armor bonus that doesn't stack with normal armors or shields or any enhancements on those items. If we broke them down to Armor and ArmorEhancement, the Bracers of Armor won't work correctly. It would change the Armor, but it could not remove any ArmorEhancement bonuses out there..

                The reason for this is that it isn't an Armor Enhancement bonus, it is an ehancement to the Armor Type bonus. (I know, some people will see me as splitting hairs.)

                And this will be fixed soon (well, partly), but not the way anyone has mentioned. Sorry, but I can not say more on the subject. Enjoy the tease. :p

                And for the record, XML will not fix every problem out there. It is merely a different data format that will allow us to, eventually, beable to convey more information. In this case, XML would do us no good, since it is a stacking issue. Maybe it will

                Tir Gwaith
                PCGen Data SB and BoD

                >> Let me guess:
                >>
                >> COMBAT|AC|4|TYPE=Armor.REPLACE
                >> COMBAT|AC|4|TYPE=ArmorEnhancement.REPLACE
                >> COMBAT|AC|4|TYPE=Shield.REPLACE
                >> COMBAT|AC|4|TYPE=ShieldEnhancement.REPLACE
                >
                >That looks good and would certainly clean up the problem I mentioned.
                >
                >> (As a side note: Why do we not already do it this way ?)
                >
                >I wonder, too. :-)
                >
                >Regards,
                >Stefan.
              • Michael Tucker
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
                  On Tuesday, June 3, 2003, at 07:37 AM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:
                  [snip]

                  >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.COMPETENCE
                  >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.DEFENSE
                  >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.DODGE
                  >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.INSIGHT
                  >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.LUCK
                  >
                  > And what are these?
                  >
                  >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.CLASSDEFENSE
                  >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.EQUIPMENT
                  >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.ENHANCEMENT
                  >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.SIDESTEP
                  >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.TAR
                  >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.TOUGHNESS
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Stefan.

                  Tir, whatever you're working on, please also remember the following AC
                  modifiers:
                  * HASTE (a +4 bonus to AC)
                  * DEFLECTION
                  * NATURAL ARMOR
                  * COVER (e.g., from the Shield spell, which conveys a +7 COVER bonus to
                  AC)

                  Java Kensai / Michael
                  (delurking, trying to be helpful)