Re: [pcgen] [BUG ] & [FREQ] OS, AC tokens for armor/shield messed up

  • frugal@purplewombat.co.uk
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
      <quote who="Stefan Radermacher">
      > The AC breakdown has a problem with magic shields, currently you can get:
      >
      > (1) the total armor bonus (BONUS.COMBAT.ARMOR),
      > (2) the armor bonus without shield (BONUS.COMBAT.ARMOR.!TYPE=Shield),
      > (3) the shield bonus (BONUS.COMBAT.!TYPE=Shield)
      >
      > If either shield or armor have an enhancement bonus, both get
      > calculated into (1) and (2) which of course is wrong. The armor
      > enhancement bonus shoud be calculated into (1) and (2), and the shield
      > enhancement bonus shoud be calculated into (1) and (3).

      The problem is that armour is added as :
      COMBAT|AC|x|TYPE=Armor.REPLACE
      Shields are added as
      COMBAT|AC|4|TYPE=Armor.REPLACE
      and the bonuses to both are added as:
      COMBAT|AC|4|TYPE=Armor.REPLACE

      --
      regards,
      Frugal
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, frugal@p... wrote:
        > You can certainly break it down like this (taken from base.xml):

        Interesting, what kind of bonuses can be there for AC. :-)

        Some of these seem like temporary/sitational bonuses one would not
        normally have on the character sheet. How are they granted in PCGen?

        > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.COMPETENCE
        > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.DEFENSE
        > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.DODGE
        > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.INSIGHT
        > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.LUCK

        And what are these?

        > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.CLASSDEFENSE
        > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.EQUIPMENT
        > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.ENHANCEMENT
        > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.SIDESTEP
        > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.TAR
        > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.TOUGHNESS

        Regards,
        Stefan.
      • frugal@purplewombat.co.uk
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
          <quote who="Stefan Radermacher">
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, frugal@p... wrote:
          >> You can certainly break it down like this (taken from base.xml):
          >
          > Interesting, what kind of bonuses can be there for AC. :-)
          >
          > Some of these seem like temporary/sitational bonuses one would not
          > normally have on the character sheet. How are they granted in PCGen?
          >
          >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.COMPETENCE
          >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.DEFENSE
          >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.DODGE
          >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.INSIGHT
          >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.LUCK

          These are quite often generated by equipment or class special abilities.
          Personally I have a whole selection opf templates that given the various
          bonuses from spells and bard songs that I just apply or not depending on
          the occasion ;O)

          > And what are these?
          >
          >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.CLASSDEFENSE
          >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.EQUIPMENT
          >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.ENHANCEMENT
          >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.SIDESTEP
          >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.TAR
          >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.TOUGHNESS

          I have no idea for some of them, CLASSDEFENSE comes from Modern. I
          basically grep'd the whole of the data tree for BONUS.COMBAT.AC and these
          are all of the different armour bonus types we currently have in PCGen.

          --
          regards,
          Frugal
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, frugal@p... wrote:
            > Personally I have a whole selection opf templates that given the
            > various bonuses from spells and bard songs that I just apply or not
            > depending on the occasion ;O)

            Interesting. I wonder, how do you work with your templates?

            Do you keep around lots of different printed sheets for your character
            for all kinds of situations? I imagine this might quickly get out of
            hand - one might need up to n! prepared sheets for n templates... :-)

            Or do you print them when the situation arises, which, I think, might
            be dispuptive to play.

            I love the features of templates (and also the new temporary
            bonuses), but I keep wondering how to make the most practical use of
            them without printing lots of sheets for all kinds of situations.

            Probably everyone has their own preferences on how to do that, why not
            share some ideas here?

            Regards,
            Stefan.
          • krazhit
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Radermacher" <stefan@z...>
              wrote:
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, frugal@p... wrote:
              > Some of these seem like temporary/sitational bonuses one would not
              > normally have on the character sheet. How are they granted in PCGen?

              Search through the archives here and at the listfile group for
              PREAPPLY, that should answer your question to some extent.

              > > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.COMPETENCE
              > > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.DEFENSE
              > > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.DODGE
              > > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.INSIGHT
              > > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.LUCK

              > And what are these?
              >
              > > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.CLASSDEFENSE
              > > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.EQUIPMENT
              > > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.ENHANCEMENT
              > > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.SIDESTEP
              > > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.TAR
              > > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.TOUGHNESS
              >
              > Regards,
              > Stefan.
            • Barak
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003

                Competence, Dodge, Insight, Luck, Enhancement, Toughness are all TYPEs
                of bonus, used to ensure proper stacking (or not). Anything that is
                situational is either not included or included on the temp. bonus tab.

                Equipment is obvious. :)

                Classdefense was instituted for Modern.

                I have no idea what Tar or Sidestep are for. :p

                Barak
              • Brass Tilde
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
                  > > > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.TAR
                  > > > BONUS.COMBAT.AC.TOUGHNESS
                  >
                  > I have no idea what Tar or Sidestep are for. :p

                  Well, shouldn't being in a Tape ARchive count for a little protection?
                • Stefan Radermacher
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, frugal@p... wrote:
                    > Personally I have a whole selection opf templates that given the
                    > various bonuses from spells and bard songs that I just apply or not
                    > depending on the occasion ;O)

                    Interesting. I wonder, how do you work with your templates?

                    Do you keep around lots of different printed sheets for your character
                    for all kinds of situations? I imagine this might quickly get out of
                    hand - one might need up to n! prepared sheets for n templates... :-)

                    Or do you print them when the situation arises, which, I think, might
                    be dispuptive to play.

                    I love the features of templates (and also the new temporary
                    bonuses), but I keep wondering how to make the most practical use of
                    them without printing lots of sheets for all kinds of situations.

                    Probably everyone has their own preferences on how to do that, why not
                    share some ideas here?

                    Regards,
                    Stefan.
                  • Steven Gilroy
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
                      I think it's more for those that have a laptop at the game table or
                      actually play online games. I have not been able to find a practicle
                      use for at the table play w/o a laptop. (I just can't afford to print
                      out 6 copies of each character for each level and when he/she buys
                      something new or sells something)

                      Stefan Radermacher wrote:
                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, frugal@p... wrote:
                      >
                      >>Personally I have a whole selection opf templates that given the
                      >>various bonuses from spells and bard songs that I just apply or not
                      >>depending on the occasion ;O)
                      >

                      > Interesting. I wonder, how do you work with your templates?
                      >
                      > Do you keep around lots of different printed sheets for your character
                      > for all kinds of situations? I imagine this might quickly get out of
                      > hand - one might need up to n! prepared sheets for n templates... :-)
                      >
                      > Or do you print them when the situation arises, which, I think, might
                      > be dispuptive to play.
                      >
                      > I love the features of templates (and also the new temporary
                      > bonuses), but I keep wondering how to make the most practical use of
                      > them without printing lots of sheets for all kinds of situations.
                      >
                      > Probably everyone has their own preferences on how to do that, why not
                      > share some ideas here?
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Stefan.

                      Steven Gilroy
                      PCGen OS Lemur
                    • frugal@purplewombat.co.uk
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
                        <quote who="Stefan Radermacher">
                        > Interesting. I wonder, how do you work with your templates?
                        >
                        > Do you keep around lots of different printed sheets for your character
                        > for all kinds of situations? I imagine this might quickly get out of
                        > hand - one might need up to n! prepared sheets for n templates... :-)
                        >
                        > Or do you print them when the situation arises, which, I think, might
                        > be dispuptive to play.

                        I tend to print off 2 versions of the character sheet: One as a basic one,
                        and one in a different colour with all of the templates that represent the
                        spells I always have cast on me during the day (Greater Magic Fang, Mage
                        Armour, Magic Tattoo etc). If I know that the session will only last a few
                        hours of game time then I also roll the Owls wisdom and Cats grace and add
                        them before hand.

                        If the DM would allow laptops at the game then I would just apply the
                        templates as an when needed and re-export the character. (for bards songs,
                        and other temporary bonuses and penalties).

                        --
                        regards,
                        Frugal
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
                          Yeah baby, a $4000 character sheet is the way to go in the 21st
                          century.
                          (I´ve seen at most 4 high end ThinkPads on my gaming table:)

                          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gilroy <sgilroy2@w...> wrote:
                          > I think it's more for those that have a laptop at the game table or
                          > actually play online games.
                        • Stefan Radermacher
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
                            Oops, sorry for posting twice.

                            Regards,
                            Stefan.
                          • Tir Gwaith
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
                              Because it isn't an ehancement that way, it actually modifies the Armor type AC, and there are stacking issues. When we tried it with Enhancments it doesn't work....

                              For Example: Bracers of Armor grant an Armor bonus that doesn't stack with normal armors or shields or any enhancements on those items. If we broke them down to Armor and ArmorEhancement, the Bracers of Armor won't work correctly. It would change the Armor, but it could not remove any ArmorEhancement bonuses out there..

                              The reason for this is that it isn't an Armor Enhancement bonus, it is an ehancement to the Armor Type bonus. (I know, some people will see me as splitting hairs.)

                              And this will be fixed soon (well, partly), but not the way anyone has mentioned. Sorry, but I can not say more on the subject. Enjoy the tease. :p

                              And for the record, XML will not fix every problem out there. It is merely a different data format that will allow us to, eventually, beable to convey more information. In this case, XML would do us no good, since it is a stacking issue. Maybe it will

                              Tir Gwaith
                              PCGen Data SB and BoD

                              >> Let me guess:
                              >>
                              >> COMBAT|AC|4|TYPE=Armor.REPLACE
                              >> COMBAT|AC|4|TYPE=ArmorEnhancement.REPLACE
                              >> COMBAT|AC|4|TYPE=Shield.REPLACE
                              >> COMBAT|AC|4|TYPE=ShieldEnhancement.REPLACE
                              >
                              >That looks good and would certainly clean up the problem I mentioned.
                              >
                              >> (As a side note: Why do we not already do it this way ?)
                              >
                              >I wonder, too. :-)
                              >
                              >Regards,
                              >Stefan.
                            • Michael Tucker
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
                                On Tuesday, June 3, 2003, at 07:37 AM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:
                                [snip]

                                >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.COMPETENCE
                                >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.DEFENSE
                                >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.DODGE
                                >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.INSIGHT
                                >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.LUCK
                                >
                                > And what are these?
                                >
                                >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.CLASSDEFENSE
                                >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.EQUIPMENT
                                >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.ENHANCEMENT
                                >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.SIDESTEP
                                >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.TAR
                                >> BONUS.COMBAT.AC.TOUGHNESS
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                > Stefan.

                                Tir, whatever you're working on, please also remember the following AC
                                modifiers:
                                * HASTE (a +4 bonus to AC)
                                * DEFLECTION
                                * NATURAL ARMOR
                                * COVER (e.g., from the Shield spell, which conveys a +7 COVER bonus to
                                AC)

                                Java Kensai / Michael
                                (delurking, trying to be helpful)