PDFs and non latin character sets.

  • frugal@purplewombat.co.uk
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2003
      After the recent problems with the filenames not being delimited on output
      I thought I would look to see if the system could cope with non latin
      characters (i.e. Greek or Cyrillic).

      Well, PCGen copes perfectly. The characters appear in the gui windows.
      They appear when you export to an XML file. They even appear if you
      convert that file to an XSL-FO file. Hoever they do not appear in the
      resulting PDF file... ;O(

      The problem appears to be that the fonts that are used by Acrobat to view
      the file do not have all of the required characters in them, they only
      have the latin character set. So even though on Windows it claims to be
      using Arial for the Sans-serif font, it does not show the whole encoding.

      There is a work around: Create a userconfig.xml file for FOP and generate
      your own metrics files for the windows fonts and then embed them in the
      PDF file. That way all of the cyrillic and greek characters can be
      displayed.

      The only problem is that I do not know of a way to do this in a machine
      independent way with out having all of the fonts shipped with PCGen (And I
      certainly do not know of any decent sans-serif fonts that are free and
      have the full unicode character set ;O)

      --
      regards,
      Frugal