OT Cable Modem Security (Was: OT Phone line quality (was Re: file d/l size))

  • Tommy Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2003
      Have to agree with James. It seems highly unlikely that anyone will ba able to do much packet sniffing from what I know about the way cable topology runs. All this data is firsthand, btw, since I am a HSD installer for Time-Warner.

      Your cable model is _mostly_ correct. However, the wiring does not run in a loop. It looks more like this:

      Head End----Node---Node---Amplifier---Node----Node---(etc)

      Each Node can have any number of ports tapped off it, ranging from 2 to 24(three 8-port taps, most I've ever seen). You also have branches off each line from the headend at varying points, so the topology winds up looking more like a big tree than anything.

      Also, each cable modem is assigned an IP address from the headend, based on it's MAC address. This is what James was talking about with "registered devices". When the headend "sees" a device it checks it's allow list to give that device an IP. If it's not on the list, it gets a 192.x.x.x address, which is a non-routable. Anyone without a registered device won't see a thing. Add to that the fact that digital cable boxes (at least ours do) authenticate the same way and send and recieve their PPV and channel lineups via the IP address they recieve, thats a TON of packets that the hacker is going to have to sniff through.

      Of course, none of this will _really_ stop a determined hacker, so you're at the same point you'd be with any other service provider.