OT Phone line quality (was Re: file d/l size)

  • Timothy L. Miller
    Message 1 of 11 , May 31, 2003
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King" <kingpaul@e...> wrote:

      > 3) Don't want cable for privacy issues. Now, if I can convince my
      > wife to get ADSL, that'd be great; dedicated line and high speed
      > transmissions.
      >
      > Paul W. King
      > OGL/PL SB and BoD

      If you're having problems with your phone line on dial-up, you will
      probably still have touchy performance on DSL. Doubly so since most
      DSL providers are going to pppoe. Have you thought about Sattelite
      internet? It's got much worse ping times than even dial up, but if
      you use it for surfing/downloading, it would be just fine. I'm not
      exactly sure how they do it, but supposedly it's just as safe as
      ordinary DSL (of course, cable is quite safe nowadays too, but if you
      are concerned about it, then that's your choice).