OT Phone line quality (was Re: file d/l size)

  • kigmatzomat
    Message 1 of 11 , May 30 3:38 PM
      > > And about cable, what privacy issues? If you get any other form of
      > > broadband, you're most likely going to have the same issues and will
      > > still need to run a firewall.
      >
      > Network topology.
      >
      > Cable, OTOH, runs through the entire neighborhood; everyone who shares
      > the loop can potentionally sniff your traffic.

      Yes and no. Most cable modem providers are configured to only accept
      input from a registered device. You can buy your own hardware but
      have to call the carrier to get them to accept it. Mine didn't use to
      be like that but they changed. (Course they could've changed back by
      now, it's been a while since I've read the T&Cs or talked to the
      techs). That means that while you could, in theory, sniff on the
      network with an unregistered device you won't be able to do anything
      while you are. Essentially it's a distributed switch, albeit one that
      relies on end-user firmware. A good system would log the rogue device
      and all the active devices on that loop to help find mr. sniffer.

      Other carriers are more strict and pre-configure all the hardware.
      Not that this means the system's secure, there was some major screw up
      a few months back when a cable provider didn't reset the remote admin
      password from factory default and every user's cable modem could be
      hacked by anyone who'd read the manual, but it means someone's
      dedicated.

      Having worked at ISPs, I really don't worry about packet sniffing.
      There's too much data out there to worry about getting noticed. If I
      do something I don't want someone to know about I either don't do it
      or use an encrypted connection to a remote machine. Someone can break
      my SSH tunnel, but they're gonna have to want to. Of course sometimes
      I'll encrypt connections to this board just to throw them off.
      Usually right before I change all the keys again using sneakernet.

      Which reminds me, time to re-key the WLAN.

      -James McP
    • Timothy L. Miller
      Message 2 of 11 , May 31 9:06 AM
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King" <kingpaul@e...> wrote:

        > 3) Don't want cable for privacy issues. Now, if I can convince my
        > wife to get ADSL, that'd be great; dedicated line and high speed
        > transmissions.
        >
        > Paul W. King
        > OGL/PL SB and BoD

        If you're having problems with your phone line on dial-up, you will
        probably still have touchy performance on DSL. Doubly so since most
        DSL providers are going to pppoe. Have you thought about Sattelite
        internet? It's got much worse ping times than even dial up, but if
        you use it for surfing/downloading, it would be just fine. I'm not
        exactly sure how they do it, but supposedly it's just as safe as
        ordinary DSL (of course, cable is quite safe nowadays too, but if you
        are concerned about it, then that's your choice).