Re: [pcgen] RE: [OS] Pdf exports problem

  • Keith Davies
    Message 1 of 9 , May 30, 2003
      On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 08:34:06AM -0400, Emily Smirle wrote:
      > Josue Silverio wrote:
      > > The message persists: "The reference to entity "D" must end with the
      > > ';' delimeter."
      >
      > Taking a wild guess from your name and the error message:
      >
      > Did you add any text with accents or other non-English characters? Some
      > computers seem to have a lot of trouble with handling that kind of
      > character when exporting to .fo, despite our best efforts.

      "D&D" seems likely to be the problem. When trying to process anything
      SGML-based[1] (specifically HTML and XML; XSL-FO -- used to make PDF
      files -- is an XML application) you have to escape the ampersand using a
      character entity. "D&D" has to be written as "D&D" for it to
      process successfully.

      [1] not strictly true, but relatively arcane SGML tricks don't concern
      us here.

      Keith
      --
      Keith Davies
      keith.davies@...

      PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass
    • Josue Silverio
      Message 2 of 9 , May 31, 2003
        "D&D" seems likely to be the problem. When trying to process anything
        SGML-based[1] (specifically HTML and XML; XSL-FO -- used to make PDF
        files -- is an XML application) you have to escape the ampersand using a
        character entity. "D&D" has to be written as "D&D" for it to
        process successfully.

        [1] not strictly true, but relatively arcane SGML tricks don't concern
        us here.

        Keith
        --
        Keith Davies
        keith.davies@k...

        PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass

        I knew the D&D was the problem and I was looking everywere but the
        place it were written. How silly! it took me hours to finally realize
        that the name of the root directory were pcgen resides is named "D&D",
        dohhh! what a waste of time.
      • frugal@purplewombat.co.uk
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2003
          <quote who="Josue Silverio">
          > <quote who="Keith Davies">
          >> "D&D" seems likely to be the problem. When trying to process anything
          >> SGML-based[1] (specifically HTML and XML; XSL-FO -- used to make PDF
          >> files -- is an XML application) you have to escape the ampersand using a
          >> character entity. "D&D" has to be written as "D&D" for it to
          >> process successfully.

          > I knew the D&D was the problem and I was looking everywere but the
          > place it were written. How silly! it took me hours to finally realize
          > that the name of the root directory were pcgen resides is named "D&D",
          > dohhh! what a waste of time.

          Right!. Now I can track this down...

          It appears that although there is a filter that will convert from & to
          & when exporting an XML file, it does not do so on the filenames.

          So haivng D&D in the bio, or description will work quite happily, having
          it in the characters portrait will not...

          --
          regards,
          Frugal