Re: [pcgen] cross-class skill costs when switching class

  • Keith Davies
    Message 1 of 8 , May 30, 2003
      On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 09:06:29PM -0700, John Sussenberger wrote:
      > That is a standard D&D rule.
      >

      > Skills: The character retains and can access skills from all his or
      > her classes. For the purposes of determining the "Max Ranks" of a
      > skill, use the character?s character level rather than individual
      > class levels. When adding a new class level, the costs for new ranks
      > in skills are calculated using the costs for that class.

      Except for exclusive skills and mixed-class characters; see below.

      > Skills available to another of the character?s classes which are
      > normally not allowed by the class being added or increased are treated
      > as cross-class skills for the purpose of determining the cost of skill
      > ranks.

      This is not true. You cannot add ranks in an exclusive skill when
      adding a class level unless the skill is a class skill for that class.

      If the skill is a class skill for at least one class the character has
      levels in, and is not an exclusive skill, the max ranks is equal to the
      character level +3; the character pays for ranks as per the class level
      being added (for instance, a Wiz/Rog adding a Knowledge skill pays one
      point per rank if adding a Wiz level, or two per rank if adding a Rog
      level, but maximum is still character level +3).

      If the skill is a class skill for at least one class but is an exclusive
      skill, the max ranks is equal to the total levels of all classes that
      have the skill as a class skill, +3. Ranks cannot be bought when adding
      levels of a class that does not have an exclusive skill as a class skill.

      If the skill is only ever a cross-class skill for the character, maximum
      ranks are half the maximum ranks of a class skill (character level +3)/2

      To the best of my knowledge, there are no exclusive skills that are
      cross-class skills; exclusive skills are, in material published to date,
      either class skills or not available.

      'course, I don't have quite the Wall o' Books Mynex does, but I do okay;
      I've never seen it.

      Keith
      --
      Keith Davies