OT Phone line quality (was Re: file d/l size)

  • Kevin Colagio
    Message 1 of 11 , May 30, 2003
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King" <kingpaul@e...> wrote:
      > > Biggest file is only a little under 3 MB, it must be REAL twitchy
      > > if you can't get that, it should only take around 15 minutes at
      > > 28.8.
      >
      > It can be. I've seen it drop me every 5 minutes for an hour's
      worth
      > of attempt...real pain in the...ahem...not mentionable in polite
      > company (or else I fear the wrath of Kar).

      Of course, that could be a good thing ("the wrath of Kar" that is...).

      On the original topic, have your phone company come out and test the
      lines for data quality and see if there is anything they can do. Our
      local phone company will make the lines data grade if they aren't
      (since so many people use modems and faxes these days). If they are
      your ISP, all the better (just tell them that you are having problems
      and if you can't get them resolved, you will switch to a more robust
      service like satalite or cable....).

      Just some ideas.

      Kevin Colagio
    • Emily Smirle
      Message 2 of 11 , May 30, 2003
        Paul K:

        Another option is to get a download manager; the latest version of
        GetRight took all the spyware and adware out, but there are others.
        Netscape has one, even.

        I'm on cable, but that doesn't stop the guy in the middle or on the
        other end from being evil...

        If you get your connection dropped alot, a download manager will let you
        resume your file transfer from where you left off, or even schedule a
        download for a time of night when you have better communications with
        your ISP; it'll even dial up the ISP, get the file, and then turn off
        the computer when its done, if you like.

        --
        Emily Smirle (jerril) Beware, for my Axe
        GMGen Princess will cut you off at the knees.
        Message 3 of 11 , May 30, 2003
          > On the original topic, have your phone company come out and test the
          > lines for data quality and see if there is anything they can do.
          > Our local phone company will make the lines data grade if they
          > aren't (since so many people use modems and faxes these days). If
          > they are your ISP, all the better (just tell them that you are
          > having problems and if you can't get them resolved, you will switch
          > to a more robust service like satalite or cable....).

          1) My phone company charges for data grade circuits, no ands, ifs or
          buts.
          2) I work for the phone company. They do that for me, they have to
          do that for everyone...not, unfortunately, going to happen.
          3) Don't want cable for privacy issues. Now, if I can convince my
          wife to get ADSL, that'd be great; dedicated line and high speed
          transmissions.

          Paul W. King
          OGL/PL SB and BoD
        • Tommy Williams
          Message 4 of 11 , May 30, 2003
            Another thing to try also (having worked for a rural ISP) is to run a line temporarily from the computer to the NID (the little gray test box on the side of the house). It's there for customer testing and you are supposed to have entry access to the standard phone jack in it.

            This will bypass all your house wiring, which on occasion will cause a dial-up connection to behave like yours does. Friend of mine had a similar problem in his modular home, and when they made the connections after assembling the house, they screwed em up.

            And about cable, what privacy issues? If you get any other form of broadband, you're most likely going to have the same issues and will still need to run a firewall.
            > On the original topic, have your phone company come out and test the
            > lines for data quality and see if there is anything they can do.
            > Our local phone company will make the lines data grade if they
            > aren't (since so many people use modems and faxes these days). If
            > they are your ISP, all the better (just tell them that you are
            > having problems and if you can't get them resolved, you will switch
            > to a more robust service like satalite or cable....).

            1) My phone company charges for data grade circuits, no ands, ifs or
            buts.
            2) I work for the phone company. They do that for me, they have to
            do that for everyone...not, unfortunately, going to happen.
            3) Don't want cable for privacy issues. Now, if I can convince my
            wife to get ADSL, that'd be great; dedicated line and high speed
            transmissions.

            Paul W. King
            OGL/PL SB and BoD

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Keith Davies
            Message 5 of 11 , May 30, 2003
              On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 03:54:12PM -0400, Tommy Williams wrote:
              > Another thing to try also (having worked for a rural ISP) is to run a
              > line temporarily from the computer to the NID (the little gray test
              > box on the side of the house). It's there for customer testing and you
              > are supposed to have entry access to the standard phone jack in it.
              >
              > This will bypass all your house wiring, which on occasion will cause a
              > dial-up connection to behave like yours does. Friend of mine had a
              > similar problem in his modular home, and when they made the
              > connections after assembling the house, they screwed em up.
              >
              > And about cable, what privacy issues? If you get any other form of
              > broadband, you're most likely going to have the same issues and will
              > still need to run a firewall.

              Network topology.

              DSL setups are generally direct from the consumer to the switching
              station; the only people who can monitor your traffic are with your
              provider (or can tap the line in another fashion).

              Cable, OTOH, runs through the entire neighborhood; everyone who shares
              the loop can potentionally sniff your traffic. That's also part of the
              reason cable performance degrades over time -- if you're one of the
              first in the neighborhood, you get a big whack of the bandwidth. As
              time goes on and more subscribers join, the bandwidth is chopped into
              smaller pieces and there is more overhead involved (including higher
              collision rate).

              A B C station --- A --- B --- C
              \ | / | |
              \ | / | |
              \ | / H --- G -- F -- E -- D
              D ----- station ----- E
              / | \
              / | \
              / | \
              F G H

              Simplified diagrams, DSL and cable, respectively

              Analogy: with cable, you have a big box of postcards going from house to
              house around your neighborhood. At each house, if someone's home he
              gets to look through the postcards for the ones that belong to him, then
              they get passed along (if nobody's home -- the machine's off -- the box
              skips that house). That person also has the option of looking at the
              other postcards, if he knows what he's doing. With DSL, there's a dude
              on a motorcycle hauling ass between your house and the switching
              station. The only way to get the data is to either break into the
              systems at either end or mugging the motorcyle rider.

              A firewall will help secure the system at your end, but it does not
              protect the data being transferred. Encryption can help, but is less
              effective over cable because it is still possible (and relatively easy)
              to sniff the packets and reconstruct the data. It almost always gets
              easier to crack encryption as the sample set grows.

              Basically, a firewall helps keep traffic you don't want, out (and
              traffic you do want, in -- when I put up my firewall my internal
              throughput when *way* up because it didn't have to bounce off my
              provider's router... which also improved my external bandwidth because
              there was less contention for the external line) but doesn't protect the
              data being transferred. If the firewall is also a NAT, it can MASQ the
              IP and identities of the machine protects, helping security (somewhat)
              that way as well.

              Keith
              --
              Keith Davies
              keith.davies@...

              PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass
            • Paul Grosse
              Message 6 of 11 , May 30, 2003
                <snip>
                > Biggest file is only a little under 3 MB, it must be REAL twitchy
                > if you can't get that, it should only take around 15 minutes at
                > 28.8.

                It can be. I've seen it drop me every 5 minutes for an hour's worth
                of attempt...real pain in the...ahem...not mentionable in polite
                company (or else I fear the wrath of Kar).

                Paul W. King
                OGL/PL SB and BoD
                </snip>

                Use Getright, that's what I do :)
              • kigmatzomat
                Message 7 of 11 , May 30, 2003
                  > > And about cable, what privacy issues? If you get any other form of
                  > > broadband, you're most likely going to have the same issues and will
                  > > still need to run a firewall.
                  >
                  > Network topology.
                  >
                  > Cable, OTOH, runs through the entire neighborhood; everyone who shares
                  > the loop can potentionally sniff your traffic.

                  Yes and no. Most cable modem providers are configured to only accept
                  input from a registered device. You can buy your own hardware but
                  have to call the carrier to get them to accept it. Mine didn't use to
                  be like that but they changed. (Course they could've changed back by
                  now, it's been a while since I've read the T&Cs or talked to the
                  techs). That means that while you could, in theory, sniff on the
                  network with an unregistered device you won't be able to do anything
                  while you are. Essentially it's a distributed switch, albeit one that
                  relies on end-user firmware. A good system would log the rogue device
                  and all the active devices on that loop to help find mr. sniffer.

                  Other carriers are more strict and pre-configure all the hardware.
                  Not that this means the system's secure, there was some major screw up
                  a few months back when a cable provider didn't reset the remote admin
                  password from factory default and every user's cable modem could be
                  hacked by anyone who'd read the manual, but it means someone's
                  dedicated.

                  Having worked at ISPs, I really don't worry about packet sniffing.
                  There's too much data out there to worry about getting noticed. If I
                  do something I don't want someone to know about I either don't do it
                  or use an encrypted connection to a remote machine. Someone can break
                  my SSH tunnel, but they're gonna have to want to. Of course sometimes
                  I'll encrypt connections to this board just to throw them off.
                  Usually right before I change all the keys again using sneakernet.

                  Which reminds me, time to re-key the WLAN.

                  -James McP
                • Timothy L. Miller
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 31, 2003
                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King" <kingpaul@e...> wrote:

                    > 3) Don't want cable for privacy issues. Now, if I can convince my
                    > wife to get ADSL, that'd be great; dedicated line and high speed
                    > transmissions.
                    >
                    > Paul W. King
                    > OGL/PL SB and BoD

                    If you're having problems with your phone line on dial-up, you will
                    probably still have touchy performance on DSL. Doubly so since most
                    DSL providers are going to pppoe. Have you thought about Sattelite
                    internet? It's got much worse ping times than even dial up, but if
                    you use it for surfing/downloading, it would be just fine. I'm not
                    exactly sure how they do it, but supposedly it's just as safe as
                    ordinary DSL (of course, cable is quite safe nowadays too, but if you
                    are concerned about it, then that's your choice).