Re: [pcgen] Re: Options.ini creation problem

  • Paul M. Lambert
    Message 1 of 7 , May 30, 2003
      On Fri, 30 May 2003, Conor Schutzman wrote:

      > This is an issue with the Mac OS, and not with PCGen.
      >
      > Mac OS X adds two menus before listing application specific ones. The
      > first, the Apple menu, has options for logging out, emptying the trash,
      > system level stuff. The second is the Applications menu, which is
      > titled for whatever application you are currently working in. So, with
      > PCGen open, it either says PCGen, or something like pcgen.core.main,
      > depending on how you launched PCGen.
      >
      > This application menu has several commands to hide the current
      > application, hide all other applications, or "quit" the current
      > application. The quit command is hot keyed to "Apple-Q". PCGen also
      > puts a "Close" option in the "File" menu, hot keyed to "Control-Q".
      >
      > If you quit PCGen using either the Quit command from the application
      > menu, or it's associated keyboard command, PCGen will not write the
      > needed .ini files. However, if you "close" PCGen usign the "Close"
      > command from the file menu, or it's associated keyboard command, or by
      > clicking on the red close window widget on the main PCGen window, those
      > files will be written.
      >
      > Let me know if this does not address your question, or if there is any
      > other assistance I can offer.

      It should be possible to test for the OS within the PCGen code and
      handle the Apple human-interface-guidelines-mandated quit command
      gracefully, no?

      i.e. if running on Mac OS X, yank the Quit/Close entries from PCGen's
      menus, and hook those routines into the OS-provided ones?

      I'm sure I've seen this done.

      However, I don't know Java, so I am not of much help. :-(

      --plambert