PCGen wotc sup coding issue

  • baz_kal
    Message 1 of 5 , May 29, 2003
      I am trying to add in the Order of the Bow initiate to my PCGen 3
      but the problem is I cannot find out a way to make the Zen Archery
      work for the Order prestige.

      You get the Zen Archery feat automatically at a certain level of
      Order of the Bow Initiate. However, if you already have the feat,
      then the bonuses from Dex AND Wis stack together. I am not sure how
      to write the lst file to stack the bonuses after detecting whether
      Zen Archery is already there or not.

      Even if I can create a different feat to place in instead of Zen
      Archery for the Order pretige where it detects for Zen Archery and
      adds the bonuses together. I just don't know how to add them
      together.

      This is the bonus from Zen Archery:

      BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|TYPE=Ranged|STAT=WIS

      kalbaz
    • krazhit
      Message 2 of 5 , May 30, 2003
        I have refrained from meddling when someone posts here about the
        verboten sources, but will give you the following advice since I am
        curious about the outcome.

        1. Discussion of WotC intellectual property is forbidden here. PCGen
        only has permission to have the SRD data in it´s sources:
        http://www.wizards.com/D20/article.asp?x=srd

        Everything else will be available through Codemonkey Publishing for a
        modicum sum of $:
        http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/

        2. That said, I suggest you alter your question, and post it over at
        the PCGenListFileHelp where it really belongs.

        If I were to ask a similar question there, I would write something
        like:
        "I want to make a custom feat that can be taken twice.
        When taken for the first time it will allow me to substitute INT for
        DEX when making a ranged attack at a target within 30 feet.
        When taken for the second time the INT and DEX bonuses will stack"

        If you get this answered you can probably piece the rest of it
        together, right?

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "baz_kal" <bazkal@h...> wrote:
        > I am trying to add in the Order of the Bow initiate to my PCGen 3
        > but the problem is I cannot find out a way to make the Zen Archery
        > work for the Order prestige.
        >
        > You get the Zen Archery feat automatically at a certain level of
        > Order of the Bow Initiate. However, if you already have the feat,
        > then the bonuses from Dex AND Wis stack together. I am not sure how
        > to write the lst file to stack the bonuses after detecting whether
        > Zen Archery is already there or not.
        >
        > Even if I can create a different feat to place in instead of Zen
        > Archery for the Order pretige where it detects for Zen Archery and
        > adds the bonuses together. I just don't know how to add them
        > together.
        >
        > This is the bonus from Zen Archery:
        >
        > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|TYPE=Ranged|STAT=WIS
        >
        > kalbaz
      • Cameron Guill
        Message 3 of 5 , May 30, 2003
          Actually, I believe it has been said on several occasions that you can
          ask for help building a file. He is not asking for someone else’s work.
          He is asking for someone’s help with a specific problem. It may involve
          wotc’s IP, BUT he is not violating that in any way. He is using his
          fair usage rights to create a lst file. If he asked for someone else’s
          file, then that would be bad, but asking for help about a specific item
          is not.

          At no point did he ask for your data file. That would have been wrong.

          He should not have to post at CMP site, since he is asking a PCGen lst
          file question. If he had asked about getting an entire file, CMP’s site
          would have been the place. If he had asked about how to create it in
          XML, the XML group would have been the place. Since he asked for it in
          lst format, and only a single item, not even an entire class, but a
          single class feature, this should be the place. Now he might also be
          able to get assistance at CMP.

          IANAL

          Cameron Guill (Arnix ™ )

          Alea Publishing Group

          AleaPublishing.com

          I have refrained from meddling when someone posts here about the
          verboten sources, but will give you the following advice since I am
          curious about the outcome.

          1. Discussion of WotC intellectual property is forbidden here. PCGen
          only has permission to have the SRD data in it´s sources:
          http://www.wizards.com/D20/article.asp?x=srd

          Everything else will be available through Codemonkey Publishing for a
          modicum sum of $:
          http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/

          2. That said, I suggest you alter your question, and post it over at
          the PCGenListFileHelp where it really belongs.

          If I were to ask a similar question there, I would write something
          like:
          "I want to make a custom feat that can be taken twice.
          When taken for the first time it will allow me to substitute INT for
          DEX when making a ranged attack at a target within 30 feet.
          When taken for the second time the INT and DEX bonuses will stack"

          If you get this answered you can probably piece the rest of it
          together, right?

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "baz_kal" <bazkal@h...> wrote:
          > I am trying to add in the Order of the Bow initiate to my PCGen 3
          > but the problem is I cannot find out a way to make the Zen Archery
          > work for the Order prestige.
          >
          > You get the Zen Archery feat automatically at a certain level of
          > Order of the Bow Initiate. However, if you already have the feat,
          > then the bonuses from Dex AND Wis stack together. I am not sure how
          > to write the lst file to stack the bonuses after detecting whether
          > Zen Archery is already there or not.
          >
          > Even if I can create a different feat to place in instead of Zen
          > Archery for the Order pretige where it detects for Zen Archery and
          > adds the bonuses together. I just don't know how to add them
          > together.
          >
          > This is the bonus from Zen Archery:
          >
          > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|TYPE=Ranged|STAT=WIS
          >
          > kalbaz

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          016061:HM/A=1482387/R=0/SIG=16n0c996e/*http:/ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLm
          Rhd=1054291356%3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050160
          61:HM/A=1482387/R=1=1054291356%3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egro
          upweb/S=1705016061:HM/A=1482387/R=2>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=565265318>

        • krazhit
          Message 4 of 5 , May 30, 2003
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Cameron Guill" <cguill@h...> wrote:
            Well I for one beg to differ, I have had the experince of asking a
            innocent (at least to me, I didn´t know better at the time) question
            regarding how to implement WotC IP in PCGen.
            (And the ones bearing down one me had some considerable *weight* in
            the community :)

            Karianna, Tir please post here the definative, what you can ask, and
            what you cannot to settle the issue.

            I personally believe I did an acceptable job of politely explaining
            what I have observed in this group over the months I have been here.
            (Although I once made a promise to myself at one time never to
            interfere in thse matters, and probably should stick to that)

            Addressing some of your complaints about my post:
            > Actually, I believe it has been said on several occasions that you
            > can ask for help building a file. He is not asking for someone
            > else's work.
            > He is asking for someone's help with a specific problem. It may
            > involve wotc's IP, BUT he is not violating that in any way.
            > He is using his fair usage rights to create a lst file. If he
            > asked for someone else's file, then that would be bad, but asking
            > for help about a specific item is not.

            I agree with that sentiment, but those who actually do the dealings
            with WotC might not. (Probably has some history I do not want to
            delve into here, but remember that at one time PCGen was in direct
            violation with WotC policy, and perhaps going in the extreme opposite
            direction was the only way to convince WotC that PCGen was really
            willing to be compliant.)

            > At no point did he ask for your data file. That would have been
            wrong.

            I know, I can read to.

            > He should not have to post at CMP site, since he is asking a PCGen
            > lst file question. If he had asked about getting an entire file,
            > CMP's site would have been the place.

            I did not ask him to post anything at the CMP site, simply wanted to
            make him aware of their existence.

            > If he had asked about how to create it in XML, the XML group would
            > have been the place. Since he asked for it in lst format, and only
            > a single item, not even an entire class, but a single class
            > feature, this should be the place.

            As the powers that be have stated on numerous occasions in this
            forum, LST file questions should be directed to the ListFileHelp
            group.

            > Now he might also be
            > able to get assistance at CMP.
            >

            > IANAL
            >

            > Cameron Guill (Arnix ™ )
            >
            > Alea Publishing Group
            >
            > AleaPublishing.com
          • Anestis Kozakis
            Message 5 of 5 , May 30, 2003
              At 09:15 -0400 2003/05/30, Cameron Guill wrote:
              >Actually, I believe it has been said on several occasions that you can
              >ask for help building a file. He is not asking for someone else’s work.
              >He is asking for someone’s help with a specific problem. It may involve
              >wotc’s IP, BUT he is not violating that in any way. He is using his
              >fair usage rights to create a lst file. If he asked for someone else’s
              >file, then that would be bad, but asking for help about a specific item
              >is not.
              >
              >At no point did he ask for your data file. That would have been wrong.
              >
              >He should not have to post at CMP site, since he is asking a PCGen lst
              >file question. If he had asked about getting an entire file, CMP’s site
              >would have been the place. If he had asked about how to create it in
              >XML, the XML group would have been the place. Since he asked for it in
              >lst format, and only a single item, not even an entire class, but a
              >single class feature, this should be the place. Now he might also be
              >able to get assistance at CMP.
              >
              >IANAL

              This list is about PCGen, the free version, with the SRD datasets,
              which has no WotC IP. This list is about being able to ask for help
              running the program, reporting bugs, and asking for features and
              additions.

              What the person was asking for was WotC IP.

              He was also asking a coding issue.

              A coding issue should be asked, in generic format, on the coding list.

              A WotC IP issue should be asked on the Code Monkey Publishing forum
              on the CMP site.

              These are the rules as have been set down for this list by the
              creators and maintainers of this list.

              Hence, krazhit was correct in his response.

              Zen Archery is from a Builder Book, and hence, is WotC IP, and should
              not be discussed here.

              >Cameron Guill (Arnix ™ )

              Anestis.

              --
              kenosti@...
              "No brilliance is needed in the law. Nothing but common sense,