[FREQ] [OS] new IIF tokens

  • Emily Smirle
    Message 1 of 14 , May 28, 2003
      Enhancement of the WEAPONx.CATEGORY:y token:

      allow testing for natural weapons, light weapons, heavy weapons, double
      weapons.

      note that a bastard sword or dwarven waraxe counts as heavy unless you
      have the exotic weapon proficiency.

      EG:
      IIF(WEAPON%weap.CATEGORY:NATURAL)
      IIF(WEAPON%weap.CATEGORY:LIGHT)
      IIF(WEAPON%weap.CATEGORY:HEAVY)
      IIF(WEAPON%weap.CATEGORY:DOUBLE)

      These would let me suppress one-handed output for two-handed weapons,
      dramatically simplifying the next generation OpenRPG character sheet I'm
      working on; similar benefits would exist for natural weapons, and my
      beta-testers have asked me to suppress two-handed stats for light
      weapons as well. I'm sure I'll want to know if a weapon is double at
      some point also.
      --
      Emily Smirle (jerril) Beware, for my Axe
      GMGen Princess will cut you off at the knees.
      Message 2 of 14 , May 28, 2003
        On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 02:00:02PM -0400, Emily Smirle wrote:
        > Enhancement of the WEAPONx.CATEGORY:y token:
        >
        > allow testing for natural weapons, light weapons, heavy weapons, double
        > weapons.
        >
        > note that a bastard sword or dwarven waraxe counts as heavy unless you
        > have the exotic weapon proficiency.

        I'd watch this. 'light' weapons are usually defined as 'smaller than
        the wielder' -- a short sword is a light weapon for a human, a long
        sword isn't... and a bastard sword wouldn't be, regardless of
        proficiency (barring feats that make it so).

        IIRC, there has also been discussion of how to handle weapon proficiency
        and 'handness' (one-handed, two-handed, etc.); this FREQ seems related
        to that.

        > EG:
        > IIF(WEAPON%weap.CATEGORY:NATURAL)
        > IIF(WEAPON%weap.CATEGORY:LIGHT)
        > IIF(WEAPON%weap.CATEGORY:HEAVY)
        > IIF(WEAPON%weap.CATEGORY:DOUBLE)
        >
        > These would let me suppress one-handed output for two-handed weapons,
        > dramatically simplifying the next generation OpenRPG character sheet I'm
        > working on; similar benefits would exist for natural weapons, and my
        > beta-testers have asked me to suppress two-handed stats for light
        > weapons as well. I'm sure I'll want to know if a weapon is double at
        > some point also.

        Still a useful thing, but the implementation may need some
        consideration, especially in light of 'light' and 'heavy' designations
        being used for two-weapon proficiency logic.

        Keith
        --
        Keith Davies
        keith.davies@...

        PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass
        Message 3 of 14 , May 29, 2003
          <quote who="Emily Smirle">
          > Enhancement of the WEAPONx.CATEGORY:y token:
          >
          > allow testing for natural weapons, light weapons, heavy weapons, double
          > weapons.
          >
          > note that a bastard sword or dwarven waraxe counts as heavy unless you
          > have the exotic weapon proficiency.
          >
          > EG:
          > IIF(WEAPON%weap.CATEGORY:NATURAL)
          > IIF(WEAPON%weap.CATEGORY:LIGHT)
          > IIF(WEAPON%weap.CATEGORY:HEAVY)
          > IIF(WEAPON%weap.CATEGORY:DOUBLE)

          You can already do the following:

          IIF(WEAPON.%weap.ISTYPE.Double)
          IIF(WEAPON.%weap.CATEGORY:Non-Standard-Melee)
          IIF(WEAPON.%weap.CATEGORY:NATURAL)

          So DOUBLE and NATURAL are already catered for. LIGHT and HEAVY depend
          entirly on the user.

          --
          regards,
          Frugal
          Message 4 of 14 , May 29, 2003
            frugal@... wrote:
            > So DOUBLE and NATURAL are already catered for. LIGHT and HEAVY depend
            > entirly on the user.

            That's the problem, and why I need PCGen to solve it. I can't compare
            the weapon size and the character size because doing "is C less than M"
            doesn't really work...

            Help me, oh great and powerful Frugal!
            --
            Emily Smirle (jerril) Beware, for my Axe
            GMGen Princess will cut you off at the knees.
            Watch out for the spikes.
          • Felipe F. Diniz
            Message 5 of 14 , May 29, 2003
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Emily Smirle <smirle4498@r...> wrote:
              > frugal@p... wrote:
              > > So DOUBLE and NATURAL are already catered for. LIGHT and HEAVY
              depend
              > > entirly on the user.
              >
              > That's the problem, and why I need PCGen to solve it. I can't
              compare
              > the weapon size and the character size because doing "is C less
              than M"
              > doesn't really work...
              >
              > Help me, oh great and powerful Frugal!
              > --
              > Emily Smirle (jerril) Beware, for my Axe
              > GMGen Princess will cut you off at the knees.
              > Watch out for the spikes.

              Emily,

              Now, CATEGORY differentiates between Melee, Ranged, and Natural. It
              also includes the indication of a Thrown weapon, returning Both
              (Melee) and Both (Ranged).

              As a weapon can be Melee and Light, i think it is better not to use
              the same token. Why don't we create a new token called something like
              LOAD or WEIGHT or SIZE (bad name?). Then WEAPON.%weap.XXX would
              return LIGHT, MEDIUM or HEAVY, according to the character size versus
              weapon size. What do you think? Would this be enough?

              Felipe
              - OSCM Gibbon
            • Emily Smirle
              Message 6 of 14 , May 29, 2003
                Felipe F. Diniz wrote:
                > As a weapon can be Melee and Light, i think it is better not to use
                > the same token. Why don't we create a new token called something like
                > LOAD or WEIGHT or SIZE (bad name?). Then WEAPON.%weap.XXX would
                > return LIGHT, MEDIUM or HEAVY, according to the character size versus
                > weapon size. What do you think? Would this be enough?

                That works, definitely!

                The thing I'm *really* trying to avoid is having one handed, off handed,
                and two-weapon stats for two-handed weapons. WEIGHT wouldn't work,
                that's more like the actual weight in pounds/kg... SIZE is probably bad
                too (I think there's a tag with that name already).

                LOAD's ok. WEIGHTCLASS? HEFT? hm.
                Message 7 of 14 , May 29, 2003
                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Emily Smirle <smirle4498@r...> wrote:
                  > That works, definitely!
                  >
                  > The thing I'm *really* trying to avoid is having one handed, off
                  handed,
                  > and two-weapon stats for two-handed weapons. WEIGHT wouldn't work,
                  > that's more like the actual weight in pounds/kg... SIZE is probably
                  bad
                  > too (I think there's a tag with that name already).
                  >
                  > LOAD's ok. WEIGHTCLASS? HEFT? hm.
                  > --
                  > Emily Smirle (jerril) Beware, for my Axe
                  > GMGen Princess will cut you off at the knees.
                  > Watch out for the spikes.

                  I just talked to Barak, and he prefers HEFT. So WEAPON.%weap.HEFT
                  will return LIGHT for weapons smaller than the character, MEDIUM for
                  weapons of the same size of the character, and HEAVY for weapons
                  larger than the character. I'll create the FREQ, and should commit
                  this tonight.

                  Felipe
                  - OSCM Gibbon
                • Jayme Cox
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 29, 2003
                    > > IIF(WEAPON%weap.CATEGORY:LIGHT)
                    > > IIF(WEAPON%weap.CATEGORY:HEAVY)

                    > So DOUBLE and NATURAL are already catered for. LIGHT and HEAVY depend
                    > entirely on the user.

                    The IIF(WEAPON.%weap.CATEGORY:LIGHT) should be handled by the
                    ExportHandler.java code, as it knows if a weapon is light for the
                    currently exporting PC. Ditto for HEAVY, etc.
                    Is it not working?
                  • Emily Smirle
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 29, 2003
                      Jayme Cox wrote:
                      >>>IIF(WEAPON%weap.CATEGORY:LIGHT)
                      >>>IIF(WEAPON%weap.CATEGORY:HEAVY)
                      >>

                      >>So DOUBLE and NATURAL are already catered for. LIGHT and HEAVY depend
                      >>entirely on the user.
                      >

                      > The IIF(WEAPON.%weap.CATEGORY:LIGHT) should be handled by the
                      > ExportHandler.java code, as it knows if a weapon is light for the
                      > currently exporting PC. Ditto for HEAVY, etc.
                      > Is it not working?

                      CATEGORY only returns a set number of things, LIGHT and HEAVY are not on
                      that list.

                      --
                      Emily Smirle (jerril) Beware, for my Axe
                      GMGen Princess will cut you off at the knees.
                      Watch out for the spikes.
                    • lonbarnett1957
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 29, 2003
                        What about those too heavy to be wielded by the character? Should
                        those be tracked differently? or is the fact the 'to hit' would be
                        N/A good enough?

                        Just trying to thourough.

                        Lonnie

                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Felipe F. Diniz" <fdiniz@i...> wrote:
                        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Emily Smirle <smirle4498@r...> wrote:
                        > > That works, definitely!
                        > >
                        > > The thing I'm *really* trying to avoid is having one handed, off
                        > handed,
                        > > and two-weapon stats for two-handed weapons. WEIGHT wouldn't
                        work,
                        > > that's more like the actual weight in pounds/kg... SIZE is
                        probably
                        > bad
                        > > too (I think there's a tag with that name already).
                        > >
                        > > LOAD's ok. WEIGHTCLASS? HEFT? hm.
                        > > --
                        > > Emily Smirle (jerril) Beware, for my Axe
                        > > GMGen Princess will cut you off at the knees.
                        > > Watch out for the spikes.
                        >
                        > I just talked to Barak, and he prefers HEFT. So WEAPON.%weap.HEFT
                        > will return LIGHT for weapons smaller than the character, MEDIUM
                        for
                        > weapons of the same size of the character, and HEAVY for weapons
                        > larger than the character. I'll create the FREQ, and should commit
                        > this tonight.
                        >

                        > Felipe
                        > - OSCM Gibbon
                      • Felipe F. Diniz
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 29, 2003
                          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Emily Smirle <smirle4498@r...> wrote:
                          > That works, definitely!
                          >
                          > The thing I'm *really* trying to avoid is having one handed, off
                          handed,
                          > and two-weapon stats for two-handed weapons. WEIGHT wouldn't work,
                          > that's more like the actual weight in pounds/kg... SIZE is probably
                          bad
                          > too (I think there's a tag with that name already).
                          >
                          > LOAD's ok. WEIGHTCLASS? HEFT? hm.
                          > --
                          > Emily Smirle (jerril) Beware, for my Axe
                          > GMGen Princess will cut you off at the knees.
                          > Watch out for the spikes.

                          I just commited this FREQ ([745719] WEAPON.%weap.HEFT).

                          WEAPON.%weap.HEFT returns LIGHT, MEDIUM or HEAVY, looking for weapon
                          size and character size. If the weapon is smaller, then it is LIGHT.

                          Emily, could you test it and see if it fits what you need? I'll leave
                          the FREQ opened till you see if it's enough for you, ok?

                          TM, can someone create a Doc. Freq. for this?

                          Thanks,

                          Felipe
                          - OSCM Gibbon
                        • Frugal
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 29, 2003
                            On Thursday 29 May 2003 16:10, Emily Smirle wrote:
                            > frugal@... wrote:
                            > > So DOUBLE and NATURAL are already catered for. LIGHT and HEAVY depend
                            > > entirly on the user.
                            >
                            > That's the problem, and why I need PCGen to solve it. I can't compare
                            > the weapon size and the character size because doing "is C less than M"
                            > doesn't really work...
                            >
                            > Help me, oh great and powerful Frugal!

                            Well, I can not provide an immediate solution using a tag as I have to start
                            packing for a reenactment event this weekend, but i can tell you how you
                            would do it using the XSLT output stuff for PDF ;O)

                            <xsl:for-each select="/character/weapons/weapon">

                            <!-- Convert the sizes of the weapon and the character from a letter to a
                            number so we can do mathematical comparisons -->
                            <xsl:variable name="weapon_size" select="translate(size, 'TFSMLHC',
                            '1234567')" />
                            <xsl:variable name="character_size"
                            select="translate(/character/basics/size, 'TFSMLHC', '1234567')" />

                            <xsl:if test="$weapon_size < $character_size">
                            <!-- The weapon is smaller than the character so it counts as light -->
                            </xsl:if>

                            <xsl:if test="$weapon_size > $character_size">
                            <!-- The weapon is bigger than the characters size so it counts as heavy
                            -->
                            </xsl:if>

                            </xsl:for-each>

                            This is not a lot of use to you as you do not want a PDF document at the end
                            of it... I wonder if it would be a good idea to have the XML/HTML generation
                            stuff have the ability to use XSLT as well as the PDF stuff.
                          • Frugal
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 29, 2003
                              On Thursday 29 May 2003 18:17, Emily Smirle wrote:
                              > Felipe F. Diniz wrote:
                              > > As a weapon can be Melee and Light, i think it is better not to use
                              > > the same token. Why don't we create a new token called something like
                              > > LOAD or WEIGHT or SIZE (bad name?). Then WEAPON.%weap.XXX would
                              > > return LIGHT, MEDIUM or HEAVY, according to the character size versus
                              > > weapon size. What do you think? Would this be enough?
                              >
                              > That works, definitely!
                              >
                              > The thing I'm *really* trying to avoid is having one handed, off handed,
                              > and two-weapon stats for two-handed weapons. WEIGHT wouldn't work,
                              > that's more like the actual weight in pounds/kg... SIZE is probably bad
                              > too (I think there's a tag with that name already).
                              >
                              > LOAD's ok. WEIGHTCLASS? HEFT? hm.

                              WEAPON.x.RELATIVE_SIZE ?

                              regards,
                              Frugal