[FREQ] API

  • Paul Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2 5:34 AM
      I'm not a Java programmer, but I've got one available in the local
      gaming group who's interested in writing plug-in modules for PCGen.
      If I understand his rants correctly, not only would a true API make
      such modules an easy thing to implement (without having to be added
      to the PCGen program as a whole), but this is the kind of
      functionality that Java was designed to handle. With the API, the
      locals could add functionality that doesn't have a broad enough
      appeal to make the base product, and would not impact the release
      program's code. The example that he uses is a data import/export to
      make the character data transferrable between programs. Since he
      doesn't post in this group, but mentions it every time we talk about
      PCGen, I'm posting this for him. I'm sorry if my explanation is a
      bit hazy, but this is not my area of expertise. Thanks, folks.

      Paul Smith
    • Tir Gwaith
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2 5:52 AM
        If we made character data exportable via something other than a character
        sheet, we could lose our permissions from publishers for PI and other stuff,
        because it could be imported by some unknown program that the publisher was
        wary of.

        We have worked hard for our reputation as a supporter of publishers. I'd
        hate to lose that.

        Tir Gwaith
        PCGen BoD
        Data Silverback
      • Kinson Ravenlock
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2 6:41 AM
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
          > If we made character data exportable via something other than a
          character
          > sheet, we could lose our permissions from publishers for PI and
          other stuff,
          > because it could be imported by some unknown program that the
          publisher was
          > wary of.
          >
          > We have worked hard for our reputation as a supporter of publishers.
          I'd
          > hate to lose that.
          >
          > Tir Gwaith
          > PCGen BoD
          > Data Silverback

          Huh?

          Ok, I take it you want to clarify that it could mean trouble for PCGen
          if there was a Plugin API that could access data (i.e. lst) files.

          Well, I guess this is not really an issue since it's highly unlikely
          that there will be a useful plugin API for pcgen anytime soon.
          Why?
          Plugin APIs usually require frozen APIs to make sense at all ...

          Now, "frozen" and "PCGen" is, well, a bad joke. ;-)
        • Paul Smith
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2 6:41 AM
            Ahh... Hmmm.. No solution to this comes to me. At least I have
            something to answer him with, now. Thanks, Tir.

            Paul Smith

            wrote:
            > If we made character data exportable via something other than a
            character
            > sheet, we could lose our permissions from publishers for PI and
            other stuff,
            > because it could be imported by some unknown program that the
            publisher was
            > wary of.
            >
            > We have worked hard for our reputation as a supporter of
            publishers. I'd
            > hate to lose that.
            >
            > Tir Gwaith
            > PCGen BoD
            > Data Silverback
          • merton_monk
            Message 5 of 7 , May 2 7:57 AM

              > Ok, I take it you want to clarify that it could mean trouble for
              PCGen
              > if there was a Plugin API that could access data (i.e. lst) files.
              >
              > Well, I guess this is not really an issue since it's highly unlikely
              > that there will be a useful plugin API for pcgen anytime soon.
              > Why?
              > Plugin APIs usually require frozen APIs to make sense at all ...
              >
              > Now, "frozen" and "PCGen" is, well, a bad joke. ;-)

              Hey - being hot is a good thing! :)
              Besides, APIs are what yDocs is for.... :D

              -Bryan
            • Kinson Ravenlock
              Message 6 of 7 , May 2 8:31 AM
                > Hey - being hot is a good thing! :)

                Yo, if you describe a woman ... ;-)
                Ahh, I actually like not having to deal with frozen APIs ... a lot
                easier to fix design bugs this way. :-P

                > Besides, APIs are what yDocs is for.... :D

                Tja, Lone Jedi wanted to give me some feedback on that one (he and
                Michael Tucker should have received the promo licenses), but somehow
                we never manage to be online at the same time :-(
              • Keith Davies
                Message 7 of 7 , May 2 9:15 AM
                  On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 07:52:48AM -0500, Tir Gwaith wrote:
                  > If we made character data exportable via something other than a character
                  > sheet, we could lose our permissions from publishers for PI and other stuff,
                  > because it could be imported by some unknown program that the publisher was
                  > wary of.

                  Isn't that part of the reason for moving to a more open data format, so
                  that the data *can* be used by third-party programs? I understood
                  interoperability was something desired.

                  Keith
                  --
                  Keith Davies